Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another odd ball choice that shows there was and still maybe a road race brother'n arms in the HW marketing scheme. The J Car, as best I recall, was the predicessor to the FORD GT MkIV. It never really raced that I recall (someone correct me on this if I'm wrong) it was a test bed for new chassis and aerodynamics. One of those test at Riverside left the car with the infamous reputation of being the car Ken Miles died in.

This is another one that has been sitting on the shelf waiting decals. I probably should have striped it back down as I've had it painted for years...and years...and years. The headlamps buckets were ground out and Testors glue used to fill them. That shrinks. I now use clear epoxy. It doesnt shrink. Wheels are comolds from a Cat.A.Pult

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
I believe that is right on with the history...and your color choice and livery is outstanding! The real car should have looked so cool!

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I had an IMC plastic kit way back when. A great model company. I don't have much left from that time as my old man was a Methodist minister. We moved about every four years. You can imagine how detrimental that is to a plastic model.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
I thought they were raced minimally but they were unsuccsessfull.
Maybe I'm thinking of the Group 6.
But that's two against one, so I guess I have to go look it up.
Or maybe I'll just believe you guys...:thumbsup: :)

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know the Group 6 raced unsuccessfully. I don't recall the J-Car doing so. In fact the cars internet history is pretty sketchy. Probably due to its short and infamous run. It did go to the LeMans time trials in '66 and set the fastest time at the trials. The aerodynamics were what FORD was testing and what they found to be a problem. When Miles got killed at the Riverside test mainly due to the aerodynamics issues of the car; FORD pretty much took the information they'd gleened from the project and turned it toward the MkIV project. That is my understanding of its history.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I know the Group 6 raced unsuccessfully. I don't recall the J-Car doing so. In fact the cars internet history is pretty sketchy. Probably due to its short and infamous run. It did go to the LeMans time trials in '66 and set the fastest time at the trials. The aerodynamics were what FORD was testing and what they found to be a problem. When Miles got killed at the Riverside test mainly due to the aerodynamics issues of the car; FORD pretty much took the information they'd gleened from the project and turned it toward the MkIV project. That is my understanding of its history.
I'd say your abbreviated history of the J-car is spot-on. After Carroll Shelby's passing, I went back and read about the history of Shelby-American. Miles' death in a testing accident had a big impact on both Shelby and the Ford Le Mans program.

For every 20 goofy novelty cars in the Hot Wheels line, there is usually at least one authentic and significant race car. I've recently rediscovered the Red Line Lolas, Mk IVs, Chaparrals, and McLarens, along with the J-car -- really cool castings!

Thanks,
Rick V.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For every 20 goofy novelty cars in the Hot Wheels line, there is usually at least one authentic and significant race car. I've recently rediscovered the Red Line Lolas, Mk IVs, Chaparrals, and McLarens, along with the J-car -- really cool castings!

Thanks,
Rick V.
More like every 50 goofy novelty cars....

But I'd really like to know if there is one guy, really high up, that pushes for these historic castings or if every so often HW as a company has a moment of crystal clarity and says "OH! Let's do this!" If it is just one guy, he's older than me, and I'd like to say thanks or even shake his hand before one or the other of us cashes in.

·
Registered
438 Posts
More like every 50 goofy novelty cars....

But I'd really like to know if there is one guy, really high up, that pushes for these historic castings or if every so often HW as a company has a moment of crystal clarity and says "OH! Let's do this!" If it is just one guy, he's older than me, and I'd like to say thanks or even shake his hand before one or the other of us cashes in.
I'm thinking we need to find this guy, and buy him a beer and brat at Road America! Whoever he is, I hope he outlasts us all <g>.

Cheers,
Rick V.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There was the Giulia TZ (Tubolre Zagato). It doesn't appear to be much larger than a Lotus Elan.

Interesting read about the "Kamm tail." Makes ya wonder how people figure stuff out that flies in the face of reason.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Was there a GTO variant....HA!
Whe I said crazy, I meant cRaZy! ;) :)

The J car is probably the most bread van-like mid engine, and this GTO is probably the most bread van-like front engine.

There are Kammbacks and then there are bread van kammbacks...

Pointy Bizzarinni-esque nose

Here's the story for ya.
http://www.supercars.net/cars/3181.html

Couln't translate the page this was on...ouch!

Worls fastest pizza oven!

Masi bread van

While on the subject of 250 variants - 250 Drago...ever hear of it? Not me!

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Here's an ISO Rivolta. Looks like the 250GTO big time. It's Chevy powered, like all ISO's. (327)

To me a true "bread van" should have the rear window in the tail like this Mazda RX-500 Wankel.
Or better yet, no window at all, like the J car!

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"Well dip me in honey ahd through me to the lesbians." Never saw one of those; or if I have it got lost in a senior moment. I see a custom replication comin' on. Did they actually race? Fill me in on the details. Is / was ISO a Ferrari affiliate like FIAT at one time? If it was associated with Ferrari why would they not make a distinction from the Ferrari 250 GTO? They DO share some lines.

I always thought that hole in the top of the "J's" rear deck was a tunnel for rear view.

I seem to recall a rearview glass in the firewall of the IMC model I built years ago. Maybe not... I'm sure if that was an attempt to see out the back it was poor. It had a periscope rearview mirror on top. Don't know what kind of rear optics that provided.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
They raced it. The linc I provided tells ya.
Pretty cool story.
Bizzarinni and others got fired from Ferrari, then they built this car.
I think it's first race it did really good, but had to retire early in the race.

ISO was maybe started by Bizzarinni possibley???

Maybe that IS a window on the J car. Anyone else know?

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sometimes I look but don't see. Cool history.

So Enzo had run-ins with more than just FORD. Looking seriously at building this one. Feel pretty sure HW won't be coming out with it 3 weeks after I'm done with it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts