Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Because LeMans.

Like NASCAR cars that perform better on ovals with the driver on the apron side, sports cars perform better with the driver on the inside of turns. Clockwise tracks, obviously, have more turns to the right, and counterclockwise tracks (like ovals) have more to the left. La Sarthe is ran clockwise.

Ford GT40s were RHD, with the shifter between the driver's seat and the door. This is true of both the Anglo-American versions and the later American versions.

So, I put a call into Phil Remington.
Phil recalls that MKIV was a CarCraft project headed by Roy Lunn. Roy was an Englishman but Phil doesn't think this was the reason for the right hand drive. But more due to the car being designed to run closed European road courses which were all run clock wise. Sitting on the right was thought to be better for both turning (visual) and weight distribution.
Sauce: http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...-drive-race-cars?p=90088&viewfull=1#post90088

Take a look at your HW Porsche 935 if you have one, they're also RHD.

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The GT 40 is the 1999 First Edition.

Thanx for the info... the Porsches and , say, BMWs in any kind of race livery I would expect to be right hand drive Euros... the Ford just kind of threw me

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The GT 40 is the 1999 First Edition.

Thanx for the info... the Porsches and , say, BMWs in any kind of race livery I would expect to be right hand drive Euros... the Ford just kind of threw me
I'd expect it in a British branded car before the continental marques. The Mk. 1s were a British chassis, the Mk. 2.s were an improved version of that chassis re-engineered by Shelby. The continent drives on the 'normal' (right-hand) side of the road; the UK, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, India, Pakistan and a few others have RHD cars and left-hand traffic.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,828 Posts
My recollection is that the 935 Porsche had the seat moved to the right side for weight distribution in 1978. I have a Minichamps or Kyosho Martini 935 with LHD. As alluded My thought was always that GT40 was RHD because it was essentially an English car.

·
Administrator
37,042 Posts
I am hoping that Hot Wheels brings out the production and race versions of the new GT40 - really surprised it hasnt happened yet!

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,828 Posts
Ford GT production version coming out in blue with blue spectraflame STH. The GT-LM colored car would be sweet.

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
the Porsches and , say, BMWs in any kind of race livery I would expect to be right hand drive Euros... the Ford just kind of threw me
I can't say that I've ever seen a RHD BMW competition car, past or present.
Outside of a V12 LM or LMR Le Mans Prototype. Germany is also an LHD country.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts