Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, :wave:

I don't know if anyone is into Airfix kits but, I have just finished watching a Television programme, here in the UK, where a famous UK celeb manages to convince kids that Model building is fun! he eventually wins them round and as a treat lets them build the worlds biggest Model kit, a 1:1 Vickers Supermarine spitfire! I have found the show online but it is an hour long.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00nnm3d/James_Mays_Toy_Stories_Airfix/

If you do get the chance to watch it, it is worth the wait for the finished built up kit.

I'm not sure if you can access the link outside of the uK because of license fees.

Simon

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Thanks for the link Simon. I'll have a look as soon as I can.
I was an Airfix collector for quite a few years and had some of the rarest kits (QANTAS Avro, Southern Cross, etc) in the collection. I was never a great fan of their planes (superkits excepted) but I loved their cars and figures! I still have an unbuilt original type3 1/24 Spitfire and Renault Dauphine and my son has a near mint bagged Zephyr kit.
Have you seen the virtual build of the new 1/24 Mosquito on the airfix collector co site yet? Amazing stuff!!

Chris.:)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Bruce,

Sorry, :eek: its the stupid BBC here in the UK. I have just found out that because we have to pay a license fee, to watch tv over here, they are excluding any other countries from viewing. The amount of money they make from us, they should be able to run the whole website for free and let anybody view regardless of location :mad:

Simon

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Chris,

Sounds like you had quite a collection of Airfix kits :thumbsup: I am pretty much the same as you, I love their 1/24 kits but, find the smaller kits too fiddly to make. I have swapped to figure kits as well. I have seen the virtual mossy kit and it looks awesome :thumbsup: Wonder if they will do the same with the rest of their 1/24 kits?

Simon

·
Registered
5 Posts
i watched that too ,great programe.the were he visted the airfix spare department was brill,i would to spend the day in there.

in the next programes he makes a full size house out of lego and a bridge from mecarnno .

mark

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
That is really a model kit? As in injection plastic or the wooden kind where you assemble a frame and then cover the framework with some sort of skin?

That is really amazing if so. What is their purpose in making model kits so large? I had no idea that anybody would do such a thing. And where would you display it when built? Heck, just storing the box until you get around to building it would require a room all to itself!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i watched that too ,great programe.the were he visted the airfix spare department was brill,i would to spend the day in there.

in the next programes he makes a full size house out of lego and a bridge from mecarnno .

mark
Hi Mark,

I know what you mean about the spares dept. there were kits everywhere! I don't usually get to watch the show but now know I can catch up online, so will be watching it from now on :) James May is great but, its hard to tell when he is truly excited about anything as his expressions never change :lol: I can't wait to see him build the full size house out of Lego.

Simon

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is really a model kit? As in injection plastic or the wooden kind where you assemble a frame and then cover the framework with some sort of skin?

That is really amazing if so. What is their purpose in making model kits so large? I had no idea that anybody would do such a thing. And where would you display it when built? Heck, just storing the box until you get around to building it would require a room all to itself!
Hi Bruce,

It wasn't what you would call a true kit, it was more an exercise in getting kids to start model making again. The parts were made from fibreglass and the sprues were made from plastic tubing. When finished, it was going to be stored as a static display at one of the RAFMuseums. Its a pity that people from outside the UK can't watch the episode on the BBC iplayer page. I have managed to download it as an .mov file but, don't know anyway of getting it onto the net, to let people outside of the UK watch it.

Simon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts