Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently working on a revell 1/28 scale fokker dr.1 .. My question is what should I use for the wire rigging? I have some nylon thread that is very thin or should I use the tradtional sliver sewing thread that came in my Wright Flyer? I do have access to some surgical wire but I have no clue as to what guage it should be. Any advice guys ? Thanks Jeff

·
Oxidation Genius
31,254 Posts
Quit talking to yourself, you're making us nervous!

;)

For rigging, some people use the thinniest fishing line they can get - like, 1-pound or 2-pound. The benefit of using nylon fishing line is that it'll tighten up with heat:

First, do your rigging as tight as you can, but don't worry about it being perfectly tight. When you're done, light a match. Let the match burn good for a moment, then blow it out. Immediately hold the match UNDER the rigging and let the heat shrink the fishing line. Not too close, not too much. When it's tight, get the heat away from it.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you John! You know i said to myself ..."Self " "If anyone would know it would be John"... Thanks again hope to have some pics up of it soon..Jeff

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok !! I would like to find decals in 1/28 for fokker dr.1 152/17..One of the baron's other planes..the red one has been done a million times ..Jeff

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello! Me Again !! Anyone know of any tutorials on painting wood grain on propellers? Saw a great one on making a wooden one but didn't bookmark it... May be I can find it again ..Any way got some paint on the wings and started the fuselage. Did you know Glad Press n Seal wrap it good for masking? It came in handy when i had to mask off the cockpit,and the pilot. I disected the Baron to bend his waist and knees so he would sit in the cockpit..I sawed off his arms and used the arms of the crewmen from the kit to re postion his arms . It worked out well. And the plane will look great with a the Baron at the controls ..I guess he is now Baron Von Richtenstien since he has arms from the ground crew guys that are supposed to push the plane around .. Oh well ! Had to sacrefice something for the cause ..

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello!! I have been working on this Foker Dr.1 1/28th scale and now I need to find some way or some how to get some new decals for it.. I have searched and found some at the copper state site..they are the right scale but not what I am looking for .. The decals I need are for the 152/17 the Crosses have white trim around them and not a white field with a Black cross .. Any way to have them custom made ? I can't scan them or copy them they are in to bad of shape.. I have been searching online and will continue but so far not finding what I would like.. was wondering if anyone had any idea's or knew some one that could hook me up.. Hand lettering is not an option.. I may try to think of a way to copy these and maybe make paint masks so I can paint them on, but I am not sure of how to do that as I have never did it before ... So if any one can help I will be in your debt and a freind for life ..LOL Thanks in advance Jeff :wave:

·
Starship Class
11,892 Posts
modelgeek said:
Anyone know of any tutorials on painting wood grain on propellers?

The way I did mine was to paint the prop dark brown then mix up some artists' oils of a medium brown and a tan.

Referring to color photographs of accurate replicas of those props, I painted the pattern on in a somewhat curved strata cross-section effect to simulate the laminated wood the prop was made out of.

Then with a tiny brush, I blended in the paints overlappingon the dark brown base coat, blending in for a realistic effect.

It took me a few times to get it right, but with the oils, I had a lot of working time and could wipe off my mistakes.

BTW:

I totally screwed up my rigging. Now I know why they recommended linen thread. The cotton I used shredded some for a very un-scale appearance. :(

The thread I used was the wrong size, too.

Despite some fit problems, I found it to be a very fun out-of-the-box model kit with just a few mods. I wish now I'd used a decals on the compass and guages since the the instruments are a little plain looking in the cockpit.

More pics available on page 13 & 14 of my gallery.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great photo's! I will paint my prop last and I too am going to use artist oils..I tried to used the decals that came with the kit.. Well 25 year old decals! Yikes!! They just crumbled into the water or cracked when being applied Oh well ..Go to plan B or C ..So I have to get a set from Copper State Models..One thing I learned in my research of this plane is probably nothing is exactly correct in paint scheme's and camo due to no color photo's and who knows what happened in the field with crashes and repairs in the field or what color paint the had on hand at the time ect. ect... So I am not going to go into super accurate pain staking detail .. I am just going to build my plane and enjoy it.. If it was for a customer or a contest or model show then yes the detail and such is a must ..So I am happy to build a resonable facimle for me... I have enjoyed the research as much as anything.. So when the decals get here I will finish it and give ya look!! Just a side note ..I really enjoy this forum so much ..great info and help.. You guys ROCK!! Thanks !Jeff

1 - 20 of 38 Posts