Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've always ran caps at our concrete track, but I was curious to see what other options we might have. What kind of experience has everybody had running foam on concrete? How is tire wear? What compounds / brands? Natural or exotic? Tire dope? Are you truing them down, or running straight out of the pack? It has been about 18 years since I ran foams outdoors, and I wasn't old enough to pay any attention to what we ran or how we took care of them. Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
I know on black top we ran pinks/purple RF. On the R&G concrete bull ring a dbl purple. I think the cars would hook up on foams, you could get two or three weeks off a set if you rotate and adjust ride hgts. Not sure about dope, Trinity Red dot used to be the ticket.

We've always ran caps at our concrete track, but I was curious to see what other options we might have. What kind of experience has everybody had running foam on concrete? How is tire wear? What compounds / brands? Natural or exotic? Tire dope? Are you truing them down, or running straight out of the pack? It has been about 18 years since I ran foams outdoors, and I wasn't old enough to pay any attention to what we ran or how we took care of them. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
we were running pinks in the rear, pink LF, double purple RF. Dope the tires just like on carpet. Run a wing also. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
what is the surface like?

Is it fairly course concrete?

I've seen guys try to run foams on concrete that was either sealed or just too closed for the foam to get ahold of. No matter how much the surface was sprayed - no GOOD traction could be found. I've seen others that had somewhat abrasive concrete and you could run harder tires than on Carpet with GREAT traction and NO sauce. All you had to do was clean the surface (preferrably WASH) before running on it.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
If you run caps on it now, why would you want to run foams. I doubt there is a way to get foams to outlast and definately not outrun caps.

If it is a cost per tire thing, the number of laps run on the tires must be taken into consideration when doing that math.

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
They sealed track and all the forward bite was lost. even running 1C 13.5 with a HD body and wing you are more worried about staying on the track than racing.

If you run caps on it now, why would you want to run foams. I doubt there is a way to get foams to outlast and definately not outrun caps.

If it is a cost per tire thing, the number of laps run on the tires must be taken into consideration when doing that math.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Ahhhhh -- got ya.

How about some muratic acid? That may remove the sealer and bring back the grip.

I realize that may not be an option. So if it is not, it sounds like you guys are going to be spraying that track with some soda and running foams.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what is the surface like?

Is it fairly course concrete?

I've seen guys try to run foams on concrete that was either sealed or just too closed for the foam to get ahold of. No matter how much the surface was sprayed - no GOOD traction could be found. I've seen others that had somewhat abrasive concrete and you could run harder tires than on Carpet with GREAT traction and NO sauce. All you had to do was clean the surface (preferrably WASH) before running on it.
Nope, it is not course. In spots maybe, but overall no. It has a broom finish, but most of that has become smooth.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Scott, I wondered about the muriatic acid, but the track owner wasn't crazy about the idea. Any idea of where it can be purchased? Caps would be my first choice, but as Tom said, they aint hookin' up!

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
you can do it. run foam on concrete, we did it, you have to cut grooves in tires , like dirt oval. but it still not as good as caps. megatrack

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
true value store too Plumbing dept. But I can tell you it will never be the same. it is hard to remove every inch of it and you will get slick spots. I would reseal it with some of that traction stuff for paint! like sand. I was playing with this idea recently. if it is done right it will not come up later. unless go karts use it.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Grinding my be an optition. I think that some parts of the King track was growned to remove some high spots. Talk to a concrete finishing person.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Just be careful what you use if it's covered. Our CAP Track (the old SHOWTIME SPEEDWAY) had a coat of some type of Slurry overlaid on it - and it was AWESOME for about a year and a half. Then the stuff started peeling really bad, and the track went to CRAP in a hurry.

I've heard TENNIS COURT Top Coat works really well on the concrete surfaces (since MOST tennis courts are concrete) and gives good traction.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We have track in Darlington that is asphalt coated with tennis court sealer. It has a ton of grip, especially during the summer when it gets hot. Tire wear is next to nothing.

We talked to several tennis court sealing contractors and none of them wanted to touch it because of it being concrete. They all felt it would peel up.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
We had a track years ago in a warehouse - on a concrete floor - it was covered with what they said was tennis court topping w/ crushed walnut shells.

FOAMS worked awesome on this track - but CAPS were even better. (Oh, it had banked corners made of PLYWOOD w/ the same topping.) WICKED track back in the early mid 90's.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Find a sandblaster and go over the track lightly and it will break up the sealer and then blow the sand off and your racing again.You may be able to find someone local that does blasting.Just a thought

·
Registered
261 Posts
Don't know if this helps, but there was an indoor track I raced on road at which used to be a dock/warehouse for a bakery. They VHT'd the crap out of a very smooth finish concrete floor. This was the most incredible traction I have ever seen, foam tires on carpet was nothing like this. Watching mod sedans on rubber leaving the line in the main was like top fuel dragsters, unreal. You might want to try VHT and see if the caps work.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts