Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are There Any Recommended Products For Cleaning Foam Tires? I Run Both Indoor And Outdoor And Pick Up Alot Of Odd Stuff On My Tires From Track Treatment To Tire Treatment From Other Racers. I Need Some Help Keeping My Tires Clean And Information On Tire Treatment. Thanks, Don

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
as a rule I take the car off the track......Spray some motor cleaner on a papertowel or rag and wipe each tire...this gets all the gu and traction stuff off...let tires air dry for approx. 30 mins...and there ready to re-goup and race...

you can use any type of Brake cleaner...thats is what I use..the same stuff I clean my comm with...works great and simple.............At the end of the night some guys wash thier tires in luke warm water...I have never done this.....

dont know anything about it...

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Wash them during the week with water and Dawn dish soap, let them dry thoroughly before running them again. It gets the traction compound out of them without softening the tire like motor spray and lighter fluid does.

·
Registered
125 Posts
concrete as well as carpet

Do these tire prep instructions work for concrete as well as carpet?

What about using WD-40 (what we used to do in the old days)?

The other thread said this works EXCLUDING THE 'BIRDS.... what is done there?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Best bet is Stick It Tire Cleaner....works for both caps and foams and it keeps the tires in PEAK form. Doesn't dry them out or cause you to need to store them in plastic bags. It actually kinda "conditions" them (my words, not Stick It's) and keeps them almost as good as new.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Ronsinol lighter fluid!!! Make sure it is the blue & yellow bottle. It's like $1.89 for a 10oz bottle & it works really well. Other light fluid's leave your tires a little dry but Ronsinol cleans them very well & leaves them feeling like new.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
My Opinion having spent two hours at the dermatoligist office yesterday for my biweekly treatment! Wash your foams with Dawn dish soap and water during the week, if you need to clean them at the track use isoprol alcohol or ligther fluid they wont hurt you! Please be very careful using any type of brake clean and solvents. I am currently being treated for toxicity buildup ( twenty years as a automotive technician ) its expensive and painful ( yesterday they actually scraped skin off the back of my hands ) wear gloves and make sure the area is well ventilated. If the people that make the stuff have to put a warning on it ITS BAD FOR YOU !

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Hey Fl Flash, I'm there with you man. My dermatoligist uses that liquid nitrogen spray bottle like it was cooking spray on a cast iron skillet before you plop in the cornbread mix.

Wooooooooooooo!!!!!!

Bt

I am in favor of the Dawn Dish Detergent. Softens your hands while you do the dishes ........uuuuuhh make that do the tires!!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Are you guys washing regular foam like greens and blues, or just exotic compounds. I clean my pinks and purples but never thought anyone cleaned regular foam compounds.....

H

·
0 Posts
At home to clean them I use dish washing liquid and warm water, at the track I carry a small bottle of alcohol. For storage and easy transport the Pringle cans work fine. Radial tires I just used brake cleaner which seem to clean and act as a traction compound but when I stored them away I would wipe with Armor Al and store in the Pringle Can.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
After every race on carpet or dirt oval, I wash my foam tires with Simple Green and Hot water. It'll make them squeeky clean and does nothing to breakdown the glue on the foam.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
After every race on carpet or dirt oval, I wash my foam tires with Simple Green and Hot water. It'll make them squeeky clean and does nothing to breakdown the glue on the foam.
Don't know if you realized it or not but this thread is over 9 yrs. old. :eek:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
CRC QD Electronic Cleaner. You can get it at most any auto parts store. It the same thing as motor cleaner. It drys and no smell or residue. Spray the rag or paper towel (like someone else said) scrub em clean. It evaporates totally and pretty fast, so its perfect between rounds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts