Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first time posting here, but I am in the middle of build the large Flying Sub and am stuck on the color for the forward instrument panel.

I have seen some painted black, and grey, and sand...

Does anyone know the actual color? Mainly the area around the instruments.

The instructions might have had a suggestion, but I could have overlooked it.

Thanks.

JP

·
Registered
162 Posts
The face of the Flying Sub's forward control panel is sand/light beige. I used Painter's Choice "Fossil" by Rustoleum. The results looked dead on!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot, this will be very helpful. I just had that one detail that I couldn't find any info on. Thanks again. :thumbsup:

JP

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,017 Posts
Yeah, I suspect flat black might appear a bit stark given the scale --unless of course you intended to lighten via dry-brushing/ weathering.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad to see my old thread is getting some hits again.:wave: I went with flat black for my instrument panel top. I used the logic that like an aircraft, they would want an anti-glare surface there. Not sure if its accurate, but I liked how it looked.

I used the same Sand color from the Interior walls on the panel surface and got pretty good results.

As for the rest of the details on the panel, I did some guesswork and went with the most likely colors, since I know the panel changed appearance from time to time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The first two seasons of Voyage are on Hulu so I used that to find some resources as well. The episode "The Monster's Web" has some shots of the instrument panel as well as some good shots of the hexagonal panel in the floor leading to the bottom hatch.

Plus, its not too bad for a "monster" episode :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts