Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure why a movie about WW1 dogfights isn't a topic here, but I saw this movie tonight. Loved it!! Wife did too. Kind of a throwback to the earlier days of movies. Good guys vs. bad guys, cool planes, excellent dogfights. Accurate? Not really, but fun as hell!!! Recommended by me.
 

·
Oxidation Genius
Joined
·
31,163 Posts
The ads look like a typical Michael Bay "way-too-much-CG-action" production. I'll certainly buy the DVD when it comes out, but I ain't going to the theater.

Meanwhile, take a look at The Blue Max to see it done REALLY well :).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,661 Posts
The critical consensus on Flyboys seems to be that it covers well-worn territory with no new twists except for the CGI aerial combat action. And even that isn't necessarily a major improvement over previous WWI flying movies — check out the Zeppelin sequence in Hell's Angels from 1930!
John P said:
Meanwhile, take a look at The Blue Max to see it done REALLY well :).
Did that picture have any flying in it? I was too busy looking at Ursula Andress.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John.... I have "The Blue Max". Not sure why you would assume I didn't?

John P said:
The ads look like a typical Michael Bay "way-too-much-CG-action" production. I'll certainly buy the DVD when it comes out, but I ain't going to the theater.

Meanwhile, take a look at The Blue Max to see it done REALLY well :).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the first WW1 aerial combat movie in around 40 years. Cover new ground? Like Star Wars maybe?

scotpens said:
The critical consensus on Flyboys seems to be that it covers well-worn territory with no new twists except for the CGI aerial combat action. And even that isn't necessarily a major improvement over previous WWI flying movies — check out the Zeppelin sequence in Hell's Angels from 1930!Did that picture have any flying in it? I was too busy looking at Ursula Andress.
 

·
Cautiously Optimistic
Joined
·
5,017 Posts
Aside from the subject matter, the thing that intrigues me about "Flyboys" is that it was written by David Ward. Some may recall another picture he wrote entitled "The Sting," which was produced by "Flyboys" director Tony Bill.

Come to think of it, "Flyboys" does seem like the sort of project Ward, Bill, Robert Redford and George Roy Hill might have collaberated on thirty years ago.

I suspect the screenplay has been gathering dust for a long time.
 

·
Starship Class
Joined
·
11,674 Posts
I've read a very negative review from a WWI airplane and army expert in terms of the mix of airplanes from different eras of the war and the characters' viewing of a film of planes that didn't even exist at that point in the war. Another criticism he had was the CGI showing planes doing stunts that would have probably ripped their wings off in reality (stalls followed by hammerhead turns).

Other than any relationship with reality, however, the author of the review thought it was a fun popcorn movie with well-executed effects.

I think there is a LOT of unexplored potential in the WWI era--lots of great, true stories left untold--and I hope to see more movies of that era. WWII has been done to death to the point I'm nearly sick of WWII movies (though I still wouldn't mind some really good WWII movies with CGI effects).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,753 Posts
I wish they could have done a few more WWI tribute movies before we lost the last veteran of it a few weeks ago.

I look forward to seeing this. I've been following the production for a while, and I have somewhat high expectations.
 

·
Oxidation Genius
Joined
·
31,163 Posts
F91 said:
John.... I have "The Blue Max". Not sure why you would assume I didn't?
Well, I don't know why I'd assume you did, either, :) but the comment was really addressed to the crowd in general.
 

·
Oxidation Genius
Joined
·
31,163 Posts
PerfesserCoffee said:
I've read a very negative review from a WWI airplane and army expert in terms of the mix of airplanes from different eras of the war and the characters' viewing of a film of planes that didn't even exist at that point in the war. Another criticism he had was the CGI showing planes doing stunts that would have probably ripped their wings off in reality (stalls followed by hammerhead turns).
Not unlike my Dad's reaction to all the CGI P-40 flying scenes in Pearl Harbor. He just sat there shaking his head.

If any of y'all are in range of Rhinebeck, NY, and you want to see how WWI aircraft really fly, drop on in here and Sunday during the summer:

http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/

I spent many a happy Sunday there smelling castor oil and listeing to LeRhones blipping.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top