Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was supposed to work today, but one of my co-workers is going to a wedding Saturday, so I traded with him. This means I can't go to the car show I was going to go to, so we took a trip around the area. We went to Benton, Du Quoin, and De Soto to hit the stores I don't get around to very often.

Disclaimer: My apologies for the look on my face. I recorded a video 4 times with my webcam, and every time something went wrong. Then it refused to take stills. I was gettin' pretty ticked off... This is why I didn't want a webcam in the first place.

Anyway: In Benton, I found a display of the Batmobile cars I've been trying to get. I had every one that was on the shelf, except:

Now I have 6 out of the 8. My son pointed out this one:

I don't like it as much as the others. But it's a Batmobile, so it'll go with the rest of the set.

Across the street was a Rural King, hit them up for these two:

I like the blue VW Thing much better than the copper colored one I already had.

There was a Dollar Tree there, but I didn't pick anything up from there. Went on down the road toward Du Quoin, and found a thirft shop we didn't know was there. For a dollar I got these three cars:

The red one is missing it's windscreen, but I don't have very many of these old cars in my collection (I have one old ford delivery truck thats missing a wheel). They are High Speed brand.

At the same Thrift, I found a toy that I just couldn't leave behind. I actually liked the Will Smith version of Wild Wild West. Call me odd, but I enjoyed the "steampunk" stylings they gave it (and I wasn't a very big fan of the show, honestly). So when I saw Artemis on his motorcycle, I had to have it:

It's a Burger King toy, and it cost a quarter. It's supposed to spark, but the sparker is worn out. But still, it was only a quarter.

More after the break...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We finally made it into Du Quoin. We hit the Wal-Mart there. I didn't come away with as much from this one. They didn't have any of the Batmobiles, and I didn't find any supers. But I did find this version of the VW Beetle:

Yes, it's a bit cartoony, but it's cute. I like it. I am definitely keeping an eye out for the Super version.

Left there, came home via De Soto. De Soto is where my favorite flea market sold out and is under new management. They don't have a huge selection anymore. But I did pick up a three pack of Dick Tracy toys. I've seen them there before and left them every time, but today the temptation was just too great. I believe they are from the Movie version (I really doubt I got lucky enough to find anything really old):

While there I also found a couple of Hot Wheels. I went ahead and cracked them open. They weren't treasure hunts, after all, and the cards were pretty scrummy. The first is a 59 Chevy pickup "Hardnose":

I have a few of these cars where they messed the perspective. It's pretty cool.
Then there is this one, called "Side Kick":

If you pull out on the exhaust, the driver's seat pops out:

I thought that was pretty cool.

Up the road from that flea was another flea. We stopped in. This place was quite a bit more pricey. I didn't pick anything up, but if I somehow manage to swing the cash, there are a couple of 1:18 scale corvettes, a 7-up delivery truck set, and a couple of 1:64 semi-rigs that I really want to bring home with me.

There you go. Sorry for subjecting you to my ugly mug. But if I get the kinks worked out of it, I may use it more often, and even post videos from now on (though I don't think I'll be as entertaining as Mr. John).

Until next time...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Supplemental Disclaimer: Or disclaimer for the disclaimer: This is the first time I ever used a webcam. One of my friends gave me his old one. I decided if I didn't use it for this, I probably wouldn't use it at all. Still chasing down all of the settings.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
I like the Burger King toy. Any metal parts? I like those types of "odd" models, great stuff. As for your mug, that's ok. In fact sometimes it's good to put a face to the names. When I first saw Mr Full Flaps!, I thought it must be the wrong person because this one is too young. :) And Mr John obviously doesn't worry about himself either.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, no metal parts. At least none you can see (presumably the sparker has metal parts, but I'm not popping it loose and breaking it any more than it already is).

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I do have that police car - it's made of soft plastic and it runs very fast. It is one of only two "Applause" brand miniature vehicles I own. The other is an orange stock car from the restaurant "Hardees." This brand mostly made toy critters and items other than miniature vehicles.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't given them a spin yet. Don't know how fast they are. Easily fixed. I noticed the plastic was a little on the "rubbery" side.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Those High Speed cars are a great find IMO. I would love to see a company like M2 do a line of early cars from the early 1900's up to the early 30's.

:thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts