Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've only seen one ever offered for sale...too rich for my blood. 2 if I count the 5 pack that had some other very desirable pieces from that era as well.
the green one was offered in a canadian only 5 pack, I am lucky enough to finally have found a green one, its played with. but still cool.
the flat out 442 was one of my favorite in jr high. it was wicked fast on a down hill track.TAZ

·
Registered
674 Posts
Most all cars when boxy looking in the middle 70's. Not sure what happened to the stylish curves of the 60s.
The fuel embargoes of '72 and '73 put the American manufacturers on a downsizing jag that included a lot of plastic body parts and lopping off excess body length. By the end of the '70's a lot of American cars took on a truncated boxy look. Considering the Japanese imports throughout the '70's all (Toyota, Datsun, Honda) had a shoebox shape to their mainline cars, and those cars sold well, I wonder if the big 3 thought making American cars look boxy tried to help make them sell...thinking that the people that bought cars equated boxy with good fuel mileage, which is the reason the imports sold well to begin with.

The '70's were also the era when planned obsolescence and throwaway cars were introduced.

The curves came back, -sort of-, with streamlining in the '80's. What's old is new again, the '80's were a flashback to the streamlining ideas that stemmed from the '30's streamliners. The trouble in my view is that after that, everybody looked the same. There are very few body styles that stand out from the crowd since the mid-'80's, they all look alike. The rare exceptions seldom make it into diecast, like the Cadillac Allante (MB and JL made a couple of attempts). Or not made at all, like the Buick Reatta or '95-6 Olds Riviera.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Was the Cutlass Salon ever in Nascar? What a strange and unique car. I wish they had done the slanted roofline like with the Malibu and the Lemans of that era over the Salon styling. I had many of these HW's with the gold rims as a kid-all ended up getting junked or tossed.

·
Registered
893 Posts
the saddest downsizing was the Full size impala! I loved the 71-76 body style, sadly most may have died in many derbies across the USA I am sure.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
This casting is presented as a IMSA GTO class road racer from the late 70's. Or at least that's when the body panels were at there most outrageous, late 70-early 80's. Mattel list this casting as a 1979, so that fits the period just right.

Oldsmobile has enjoyed much success in American road racing with both IMSA and SCCA Trans-Am . But as I flipped through several references from that time period I did not find any photos showing a model quite like this. I found a few 1978 and 79 Cutlass in race trim, but not with the wild flares. But it is possible that this car was based on a real body style from the tracks of that era.

Great thread Dockchecker, was a lot of fun trying to find something on a real 1:1 of this car. If I may, I will tag in with you and share my version of this Hot Wheels classic....

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
OK, spent a little more time looking and STILL could not find a good photo referance. Any of you road race fans out there, drop me a note if you do see a good photo of a '78-79 in full panel race trim.

·
Registered
10,573 Posts
Nice one WARD AND This body was also used in the ASA series when Dick Trickle,Rusty Wallace, Alan Kulwicki and Mark Martin were in this series.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
While thier was 79-80 Cutlass' on the track, they did not share the wide fiberglass panels of our casting here. The old ASA, ARCA and Nascar Sportsman cars were more cut away, not added to. But those were as cool as they could be as well, just in a different way. I would love to see some diecast from that time period as well.

·
Registered
674 Posts
This casting is presented as a IMSA GTO class road racer from the late 70's. Or at least that's when the body panels were at there most outrageous, late 70-early 80's. Mattel list this casting as a 1979, so that fits the period just right.

Oldsmobile has enjoyed much success in American road racing with both IMSA and SCCA Trans-Am . But as I flipped through several references from that time period I did not find any photos showing a model quite like this. I found a few 1978 and 79 Cutlass in race trim, but not with the wild flares. But it is possible that this car was based on a real body style from the tracks of that era.
I think you may be right there Stang, I don't recall seeing any real 442 rally racers from this period that looked quite like this.

The flares were used extensively though by pretty much everybody, seems I recall first seeing them on BMWs, the 2002 models in rally trim. The flares were ducts to let more air travel across the brakes to cool them down to increase stopping ability...that much I remember.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts