Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just retrieved a bunch of Ertl and Liberty Classics/SpecCast custom-imprint pieces from long-term storage. Problem is, I've had them for quite a while, and as a dumb kid, didn't really care for them properly. Many of them have fine scratches from being dusted with a paint-brush (will never do that again; these days, I use an old cotton T-shirt!), and a couple have sun-faded white plastic parts. Is there a practical way to get the white plastic back to white without paint or disassembling the model? And can those fine scratches be removed without also removing tampo printing?

·
Registered
72 Posts
exactly the topic i was searching for answers for the other day, i am getting into restoring old tonka trucks, and had a very yellowed window and i was looking to figure out how to clear it up. i tried headlight cleaner/buffer stuff, but that did nothing, so I'll be watching this topic too!

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
on the fine scratches car was may help as far as the faded plastic i do not thing you will have any luck.i have never found anything that restores plasctic to it's color again.

·
Registered
242 Posts
TOO FUNNY.. I was needing the same thing, and then realized that I had some McGuires PlastX (used to restore head lights)... I tried it out and my windshields came out nice.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll eventually give the Magic Eraser a go on the white parts. If that fails, at least it'll be good for something else. Also fortunate is that these models were sold new as collectibles, and the market has really fallen out on them, so replacements can usually be acquired inexpensively if need be.

·
Registered
8,445 Posts
I have used toothpaste in the past that helped a great deal on most of the parts I did... I have also used furnature polish in restoring faded parts, rubbing hard... Turtle Wax polishing compound works too, if used carefully... Mother's Aluminum Polish, (a bit expensive)... All these things have worked pretty good for me on most things I tried them on, but my best luck has been with the tooth paste and some elbow grease !!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts