Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 8 hp Briggs and stratton motor, model:190402 type: 051501 code:77050611. (Yeah, the things 10 years older than me!)

Anyways, my problem is this-- when i try to crank normally,(rope starter) the rope feels like it is "catching" on something. I pull again, an it will go al the way through, but with significant resistance. However, when i pull the spark plug out, i can pull it like it is supposed to pull. I scrubbed the rust off of the magnet with lemon juice and salt, and i also scrubbed the contact from the wire to the top of the plug itself. It is making compression, and it pulls in air and exhausts air as well. I have fresh gas, and a new plug. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's nothing foreign in the cylinder...could it really be that i am just not strong enough? I mean, i've started motors before, but it was a newer tecumsah. This this *IS* 30 years old...I'll get my friend john to try to start it tomorrow. He's strong as crap. Any other ideas?

Thanks alot!

-Dave

·
Registered
750 Posts
when was the last time ya cranked it? it might be stuck alittle. PS if coil is catching flywheel then it wouldnt pull good . =)

·
Registered
40 Posts
tehgregzor said:
I have a 8 hp Briggs and stratton motor, model:190402 type: 051501 code:77050611. (Yeah, the things 10 years older than me!)

However, when i pull the spark plug out, i can pull it like it is supposed to pull. QUOTE]

Age should not have any bearing on how a engine starts, if it is in good condition and tuned correctly.
I have a tiller with 8 HP B&S that I bought 1960 still runs good.
You probably have a stuck valve. Remove the head work with the valve put some oil on the valve stem and valve guide.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts