Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
A ways back I bought a 55 Chevy Convertible Tri-Chevy First Shot. The top car has white rims. It was billed as a WL. Hmmmmm...now you've got me thinking. (Actually, I've wondered about it before.)

I'll take a picture and post it.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
that story about the Camaros has come up before....

the eventual answer is always the same , I beleive even from PM and Jeff himself...there were and are NO Wl's in any First Shots...

..am looking at a whole page in The Tomarts Johnny Lightning Price Guide on the Tri Chevy series...and that First shot car pictured sure doesn't show up in the book! looks like a fake..don't know how those wheels got on that car in that box! :eek:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pablodragon said:
the Tri Chevy series...and that First shot car pictured sure doesn't show up in the book!
The other First Shot Tri-Chevys I've seen don't have the white rims...so I wonder. The other 55 verts I've seen have the chrome rims.

I am not saying it is real. It may well be a fake. I guess it doesn't matter much to me either way. I bought it a ways back and I'll hold on to it...but I was told it was a WL.

I guess I'm more curious than anything. So, any thoughts on it are welcome!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TTT for 2004. :wave:

Anyone have any ideas on the picture in Post #6? Is it a "WL?" Is it an error? Is it a fake?

·
Silent but Deadly
4,359 Posts
I think it's a fake. I have the exact one pictured (used it for a picture of "Ozzdog") There weren't any WL's in the first shots in any form, just chrome finished cars on the top and unfinished cars on the bottom, known as raw. I refuse to believe that they did anything other than what they stated for those series, or there would be more than the one. It's very easy to unseal the box these are in and change things up. I saw several fake WL's at a show in April, and when I told the guy what they weren't, he told me to go jump off a cliff, in a manner of speaking.

:freak:

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The white rimmed cars in the First Shots are usually the unpainted one of the two and are part of being the "bare metal" version. On the bare metal versions, there's no chromed bumpers, rims, grills etc as part of keeping with the bare metal theme.

Atleast that's whatI've seen with the first shots I've had.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have one as well and the rims are chrome. The picture quality is so poor it may be possible that the chrome rims look white. Buyer beware!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
pms485 said:
Nah. It's a fake. FS packaging can be opened easily.
owl said:
I think it's a fake.

<Gasp!> You...you...you mean that eBay seller took advantage of me!? :eek:

;)

I don't remember how long ago I bought it, but I do remember it was pretty darn cheap. I guess I know why it was so cheap now!

Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bbholdings said:
The picture quality is so poor it may be possible that the chrome rims look white.

Buyer beware!

Poor picture quality?! Wow - that's a vicious attack out of nowhere on my digital camera! :jest: Juuuuuust kidding...I know my digital camera is a wee bit crappy.

The rims are white. It's sitting in a plastic tin at my house, so I know for sure.

As far as "buyer beware" goes, too late for me! I bought it a long time ago. Actually, I don't mind much at all. I always planned on keeping it.

I bought it back before every single JL w/ a little white in it was listed as a WL. So it is quite possible the seller didn't know...but I guess I'll never know for sure.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
In the era of the FS, the only 'gold rimmed' WL's (period) were the highly desirable and rare Gold Postal trucks.

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
Holy crap $32 plus shipping! I had to look twice I assumed the auction was for an entire set, but it wasn't. Lesson: Don't Drink and Bid!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts