Hobbyist Forums banner

FIRST PICS! Jupiter 2 WIP Shots

9K views 79 replies 38 participants last post by  Richard Baker 
#1 · (Edited)
It's been a great Christmas weekend. Been up till 5:00 am some days to get this far. Some mods I have made include, Astrogator detailed w/stool, 3D pod bay detail, working main airlock outer hatch, working airlock inner hatch with a lot more to come.

#4 ·
That looks awesome !!!!!! The Pod "backdrop" seems to be a probable feature many of us will include, I know I will be anyways.
Keep up the good work Ductapeforever !! .... and please don't stop with the pics.
I'm expecting mine to be delivered tomorrow, can't wait, I've had the work bench cleared and waiting since before Christmas !!!

regards
Wayne

#8 · (Edited)
Cutting out the hatches was the most difficult and potentially dangerous task so far, I used the back of an x-acto blade and CAREFULLY scribed through the plastic, (This took hours to accomplish) .Slowly drag the blade with minimum pressure in the direction of the arrow. A tiny curl of plactic wil be cut away, repeat untill you are through the piece.I used evergreen strips glued to the top and bottom edge of the original hatch piece to serve as runners, and 'C' channel strips for tracks lubed with dry graphite. WARNING:Do not attempt this unless you have some experience under your belt, one slip and that hundred dollar kit can be turned into spare parts !

#16 ·
... WARNING:Do not attempt this unless you have some experience under your belt, one slip and that hundred dollar kit can be turned into spare parts !
A quick question - what is you're doing to the landing gear bay sidewall? If it lives up to the "upstairs" work, this should be interesting. Inquiring minds want to know :thumbsup:

(I wanted to include the thumbnail of the image showing you scribing out a square panel from the sidewall, but it wouldn't let me.)

#11 ·
Amazing! I don't see a single cut on your left hand, either!
Come to think of it, it will be possible to light up the insturment panel wall to the side of the airlock with the airlock hatch slid open because it would slide at an angle behind the wall. Good thinking!

#23 ·
I am applying logic to the ship (I know, don't get me started) the gearwell bulkhead is getting an EVA equipment locker at the top of the ladder. In my logic, frequently used gear and equipment would be stored here for immediate use upon landing for a cursory exploration of a planet surface. I have eliminated the hatches on the other two gear legs as their existance do not make any sense.

#27 ·
Mine haven't arrived yet, but I am planning on a fully detailed power core interior with all those miniature panels left over from the Time Tunnel set. The icing on the cake will be a scale figure of Ronald Gans with a sheet over his head as the "Id" monster.

(Of course I am joking. I am busy building this morning and may have gotten a couple too many superglue fumes) :tongue:

Geminibuildups

Gemini Model Build-Up Studios
www.geminibuildupstudios.com

#30 · (Edited)
On the interior hatches first you need to replace the material removed from the kit parts (B) by glueing strips to the tops and sides. Then 'C' channel can be used to create tracks for the doors to slide in (A). Lubricate the channels with dry graphite. A new bulkhead is added to create the complete airlock. (C) Before anyone asks, the door in the upper right corner of this pic, is to allow access to the Communications Viewscreen, as I am using printed graphics on acytate that I can change as I wish and lighting them from behind.

#32 · (Edited)
Thanks for the photo showing how you made the sliding hatch.
A pretty ingenious solution also to the problem of showing different scenes on the comm station, also. I don't think I'd go through that amount of trouble -- the viewscreen was used perhaps three times during the course of the series (Reluctant Stowaway, Wild Adventure and Space Primevals, IIRC).

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.