Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's been a great Christmas weekend. Been up till 5:00 am some days to get this far. Some mods I have made include, Astrogator detailed w/stool, 3D pod bay detail, working main airlock outer hatch, working airlock inner hatch with a lot more to come.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Wow, that was quick! Waiting for the painting masks to come out before I start mine. Love what your adding, especially the working airlock doors and the Space Pod.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That looks awesome !!!!!! The Pod "backdrop" seems to be a probable feature many of us will include, I know I will be anyways.
Keep up the good work Ductapeforever !! .... and please don't stop with the pics.
I'm expecting mine to be delivered tomorrow, can't wait, I've had the work bench cleared and waiting since before Christmas !!!

regards
Wayne

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Cutting out the hatches was the most difficult and potentially dangerous task so far, I used the back of an x-acto blade and CAREFULLY scribed through the plastic, (This took hours to accomplish) .Slowly drag the blade with minimum pressure in the direction of the arrow. A tiny curl of plactic wil be cut away, repeat untill you are through the piece.I used evergreen strips glued to the top and bottom edge of the original hatch piece to serve as runners, and 'C' channel strips for tracks lubed with dry graphite. WARNING:Do not attempt this unless you have some experience under your belt, one slip and that hundred dollar kit can be turned into spare parts !

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Amazing! I don't see a single cut on your left hand, either!
Come to think of it, it will be possible to light up the insturment panel wall to the side of the airlock with the airlock hatch slid open because it would slide at an angle behind the wall. Good thinking!

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Is the robot that you have in the pic a Johnny Lightning Robot or is that what comes with the kit?

Your kit looks great...love the modifications you've made so far!

MMM

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Herb, that's excellent work! All of the research material collected being used, I see.

As for the x-acto blade scribing through the plastic. Slow, nerve wreaking job, but, better and safer than a Dremel.

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
... WARNING:Do not attempt this unless you have some experience under your belt, one slip and that hundred dollar kit can be turned into spare parts !
A quick question - what is you're doing to the landing gear bay sidewall? If it lives up to the "upstairs" work, this should be interesting. Inquiring minds want to know :thumbsup:

(I wanted to include the thumbnail of the image showing you scribing out a square panel from the sidewall, but it wouldn't let me.)

·
Starship Class
11,935 Posts
Very cool, man! Look forward to more.

I'd have never thought of including the spacepod hatch--EXCELLENT idea!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts