Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Hard to tell- the artist abstracted it a lot- the nacelle pylons do look a lot like the refit.
Thing is the artist might have been holding a refit model for reference and just changed a few details. Last word was that the 1701-A would not be that much different

·
Registered
566 Posts
So, wait, there's a replacement Enterprise at the end of the movie? I'm not a spoiler-phobe, so whisper it in my ear. Obviously the JJprise gets destroyed, so I assumed something would happen.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Just got back from the movie. The "A" is pretty much the same as the first JJprise, including the more vertical nacelle pylons (which is weird since they swept them back for the refit but just put them back to how they were for the brand-new, freshly built starship). The surface texture looks a little beefier and there are points of lights that now ring the perimeter of the deflector dish. It kinda resembles a mash-up of the JJprise and the Gabrel Koerner version, but with more bling.
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net...erprise.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080207200508

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got back from the movie. The "A" is pretty much the same as the first JJprise...
It's really not though. It has very similar hull details and lines, but the proportions of the ship are far different. The 1701-A is actually almost dead-on shaped to the TOS Enterprise, but with JJprise surface details. The nacelles no longer have a "hood" over the bussards nor are they shaped the same at all to the JJprise. These nacelles are very cylindrical shaped like the TOS Ent. The bussards and deflector are still blue, though. The deflector "spokes" are a different pattern. The lower saucer has landing feet triangles like the TOS. Hard to remember all the details because you barely see it for 5-10 seconds and it's only backlit in the darkness of space.

It's basically the ship we should have gotten in 2009. Also, the NCC-1701-A registry on the bottom of the saucer is HUGE.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Can't wait for the Blu-ray! I want to analyze these differences. I would love to build the Darkness Refit and the 1701-A! Heck, even the Franklin. Too bad Revell Germany didn't announce anything this year for these designs.

·
Registered
566 Posts
It's really not though. It has very similar hull details and lines, but the proportions of the ship are far different. The 1701-A is actually almost dead-on shaped to the TOS Enterprise, but with JJprise surface details.
Hmmm. During the "time lapse" of the ship being built, it definitely had JJprise shaped dorsal (wide at the top where it connects to the saucer section) and nacelle pylons. In that "reveal" moment where we could finally see the entire ship assembled, to me it still looked far closer to JJprise than TOS, but, yeah, a few more TOS-inspired details. The impulse engines are also still the wide line from the Into Darkness refit.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Slightly off-topic, but it's hard for me to get excited about the new "A" when the Enterprise gets pretty much destroyed in every movie now.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Slightly off-topic, but it's hard for me to get excited about the new "A" when the Enterprise gets pretty much destroyed in every movie now.
Well, yeah. I mean, I saw the first, felt the actors were generally great but the script and art direction was meh. Never bothered with the second one, caught a bit on TV recently and the feelings maintain. Cast, decent to excellent. Script and art direction, meh. Not really at all interested in the third.

But with the Enterprise constantly getting destroyed, shouldn't we be on Enterprise-C by now?

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Just got back from seeing it and I think the refit solves the two biggest problems of the JJprise--the nacelles are spaced much further apart (hooray!) and the secondary hull has been fleshed out so the ship doesn't look like it is going to tip over any second. You only saw it briefly, but it looked a hundred times better than the JJprise to me.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Well, what others have said, it seems improved in the right direction, but man, I hope that's an optical illusion on those nacelle pylons, they look THICK. I mean a couple DECKS thick! :)

But you know? We shouldn't get too comfortable with this. JJ does like to change things up unless he's got a firm hand telling him what to do (see Star Wars TFA).

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Glad about the Moebius Models! Hope I see them sooner than later. You guys, thanks for the videos. Daniel B, that was 3D, wasn't it? wish I could do a stereo separation on it. Would you be willing to email me a copy or put it in Dropbox or something? I need something to concentrate, m y health is failing.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts