Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the first few sets of diecast Jada cars that came out?

Someone told me that there were some "rare" cars that they put out right near the start.

Pics would be great too.

Thanks!

Joe

·
Registered
283 Posts
I remember about 7-8 years ago, a buddy of mine got a pimped up purple covertible caddy, with lace wheels, 1/24 scale. It was a Jada. He said he picked it up in a gas station down in the US. It was in box of 4 (similar to what they sell now).

Approximately 6-7 years ago, at the local Wal-Mart, they had these 1/24 homie style tow trucks, Wild colors and decaling. Wal-Mart sold them for less than $5 and they were all sold out in a week (and they had hundreds of them). I have to wonder if it was a test run or to see how well they would be recieved. It was the first packaged product I ever noticed of Jada. I still have one kicking around somewhere.

·
Registered
213 Posts
JADA TOYS was founded in 1999 and I came to collect them in around late 2001, so I'm not sure what they were doing before that period.

The first JADA casting I ever saw was the 1/24 2000(?) Chevy S10 crew cab mini truck. This was a while before it was used in the DUB CITY line, as this truck didnt have "DUBS", but rather narrow old school saw blades. It was a deep candy purple with cliched tribal patterns seen on many a mini truck in the late 90s.

The first Jada 1/64s I ever saw were the STREET LOW lowriders. There were 8 cars in the assortment, each in 4 different decos/colors. The "rare" ones (1 of 5000 I THINK) had GOLD Dayton style wheels while the "common" versions had CHROME D's instead.

I remember thinking that the gold plating on the wheels was too yellow, so I only bought the chrome versions. Collectable Diecast still has some chrome wheeled versions left, go there and do a search for 1/64 STREET LOW and you'll see the 1/64 57 Suburban, 1/64 Astro Van and 1/64 47 Fleetline.

Like the early 1/24 JADA offerings, I only saw the 1/64 STREET LOWS being sold at truck stops, gas stations and swap meets. I never saw them at the big box stores like Mal Wart or Tar8hit. But quite a while later they began to show up in the KB Toys clearance bin. I don't recall what the price was for the 1/24s, but the 1/64s were marked at 3 for $5. Quite a steal considering the quality, as they included everything I've come to expect from JADA... Metal body and base, lush paint jobs, "rubber" like tires and impressive laser cut wheels.

Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts