Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After watching portions of the first COT race of the year at one of the best tracks I felt kind of sick to my stomach. It just isn't the same and I know..."give it a chance"', right? Wrong! Touring ovals in Nascar - has to be the worst idea ever. I hope it doesn't stick...and I definately hope RC oval doesn't get forced down that road. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I like the idea of the rear wing, but something just didn't look right today watching those cars on the track. I can't really put my finger on it but it just didn't feel like a normal NASCAR race.

·
Registered
662 Posts
jason i agree with ya 100% the day we gotta run those things on are pan cars will be a sad day in r/c. also i think kyle busch summed it all up at the end of the race. he hates the damn things and they suck..... and i think they look like crap going around that track. very bad idea especially with a dodge avenger and impala ss. i though this is nascar what is going on here??????

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
I’m all for the safety innovations but the cars are butt ugly...Put a normal front end back on them and get rid of the touring car wing..

On the positive side the IRL and all the short tracks should benefit because if they keep running those ugly bricks the real race fans won’t be watching.

·
HobbyTalk Pro
2,787 Posts
I wish it were actually the Car of Tomorrow..since tomorrow never comes.

NASCAR did the the Cup Cars what USAC did to the Silver Crown cars...killed 'em.:drunk::freak::confused:

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
Todd Putnam said:
I wish it were actually the Car of Tomorrow..since tomorrow never comes.

NASCAR did the the Cup Cars what USAC did to the Silver Crown cars...killed 'em.:drunk::freak::confused:
Actually NASCAR was behind the Silver Crown change too. So congrats NASCAR you have not created two ugly race cars.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sonny B said:
Actually NASCAR was behind the Silver Crown change too. So congrats NASCAR you have not created two ugly race cars.
Make that three. They created the Daytona Prototypes! :freak: There were about 40 spectators at the USAC race in Miami this weekend.

Sonny B said:
On the positive side the IRL and all the short tracks should benefit because if they keep running those ugly bricks the real race fans won’t be watching.
I'm almost done with NASCAR. After this years Brickyard 400 I will not be going back to that race (maybe if it is free and I get to sit in a suite).

The Indy 500 on the other hand, you'll have to kill me to keep me from going!

chad w. :cool:

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I didnt think it was all that bad. They were not nearly as bad as I thought they would be. They may look more like street cars now then they did before though. They front ends on the old cars were getting out of contorl with all the sheet metal work they were doing. Its different, but I dont think its bad.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
I think I can honestly say that this just may be it for nascar,they've really screwed up this time.Kyle said it all.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
...I really hope we don't have to start running ugly WINGS on our RC Cars, and the idea of running bodies that don't really look like any real car...that would just plain suck.

While on that subject, I was on the new BoLINK site and they still make the 69 Talledega body...THAT'S what we should ALL be running with merely a 3/8" spoiler.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I'm turning 60 in a few weeks so I been around a while so to speek, and this sounds OOHHHH so familiar. Heard the same things when NASCAR (back when the were racing "Grand National" cars I believe), and they went from REAL stock cars (just add a roll bar and seat harness!) to the custom built frame/roll cage. Ralf

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
You guys are to much!!:lol: Just what in the sam hill do you think your running every week with your R/C car...A Touring Stock car!!:) with a wing in proportion to the size of the roof! Yet you think the COT car with a small wing is ridiculous..to funny :tongue:

·
Dale Cote'
1,659 Posts
Cup cars haven't resembled their production based versions for over 20 years. Ever seen a street Charger next to a Cup Charger? No comparison. Not even close. I really don't mind the new COT cars, I just hate that NASCAR finally took all the crew's ingenuity out of racing. It's IROC, except that crew's build & pay for their own cars. No more brand identity. I don't see the manufacturers staying around in years to come.

P.S.: What do you do with a couple hundred obsolete Cup cars that can't be made legal for Busch?

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Call me crazy but I actually like the looks of them.

The downside seems to be they dont hold up to the abuse.
The nose of the car seemed to be taking the brunt of the impact vs the lower part of the bumper or splitter. This could result in some weak hits causing radiators to break. Which seemed to be the case. Newman's wreck for instance.

Also any side impact on the rear qtr panel seemed to really tear the wing up.

I am sure they will improve this aspect but it could make for some cautious racing going forward.

·
Registered
878 Posts
The front bumper was raised on purpose, so they couldn't lift the rear of the car in front of them.The front and rear bumpers are almost the same height.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Crap Of Tomorrow.. I mean Car's Of Tomorrow are the ugliest things i've seen raced on an oval ever. I think nascar should just stick with the car's they have now there perfectly fine there is no need for a change.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
oh its not THAT bad.. =) I did find the "adjusting the rear" a bit interesting as the guy had to be on his tippy-toes, and definately had to be over 6 feet tall to reach. I'm surprised no one tripped during the pits, and none of the hoses got snagged on the car while running around that wing or front spoiler.

The last 6 laps was very fun to watch I say..... =)

ps.. poor tony stewart =(

1 - 20 of 79 Posts