Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The "Redphin" '59 Chevy is a decent (but not earth-shattering) casting of one of my all-time favorite cars, but the tampos on the thing were hideous! They had to go, so after I got rid of 'em, I tried my hand at improving the bare paint. I've been building car modela in 1:25 scale for years, so going small was a logical next step. I "chromed" the window surrounds and drip rails with a silver paint marker, and the chrome on the fins as well. I painted the taillights in Testor's "Stop Light Red" wth silver trim around them. I did the grille in a black wash and chromed the upper grilles. Finally, I highlighted the spokes on the all-black wheels wth silver paint too. This was a bunch harder than working in the larger scale I'm used to, especially with the car already assembled. I usually do all this type of work on a body that doesn't have the windows etc. installed yet!

I will be doing more cars in the future, and hopefully getting better at it.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
It looks good with the additional details. I've yet to try detailing a Hot Wheels car (mostly because I don't really buy multiples on the same car, and I always leave one as-is), but that may change in the near future. As an aside, if you're dissatisfied with a Sharpie detail job, a little hand sanitizer will remove the Sharpie before it has a chance to dry.

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks good with the additional details. I've yet to try detailing a Hot Wheels car (mostly because I don't really buy multiples on the same car, and I always leave one as-is), but that may change in the near future. As an aside, if you're dissatisfied with a Sharpie detail job, a little hand sanitizer will remove the Sharpie before it has a chance to dry.
Thanks for the hand sanitizer hint, A-A! I just wiped at it with my bare finger as soon as it hit the paint and it came off OK, but it would ave come in handy in the recess between the taillights and the tailfins. This one wasn't a multiple, but considering what it looked like originally, no great loss.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Another thing is that if you are satisfied with the over all job and have on tiny spot that is wrong, use a toothpick once it is dry and rub over the bad spot. It will remove the Sharpie and not affect the base paint.

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That sounds like a winner, z06, not only for diecasts but my 1:25 plastic models too. I usually just try use a fingernail, but a toothpick would be a lot neater and more precise. Tanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts