Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Figured i'd start a new post dovoted to this awesome plane,i've been gathering all kinds of info on this plane
,i've done a really nice model of the Fox in 1/144 scale making it 5 1/4 " long....the problem is that to date, there have been several attemps to make nice models of the Fox,though real nice models, and casting jobs ,they aren't accurate !!!,well at least not to the filming version and ones seen in the movie...if you've been folowing the post on (Studio two's Fox), then you've seen mine as well..
I have what is confirmed to be a "casting" from the mold of the 21" shooting miniature...It was missing details as far as being complete... which i've recently been finishing up!... this model works out to 1/35 scale, as the primary shooting miniature was 63" long at 1/12 scale...there was also a 60' full scale mockup made from a radio tower,and powered by a chain driven Vw engine.

I've been working with a friend to try to make up an R/c model of the wonderful machine for Ducted fan...guess the model will be in the neighborhood of 6 feet..Also, A good friend of mine,Kurt, has been finishing up some absolutely gorgeous renderings of the Firefox MIG 31 based on my accurate CAD drawings of the plane..He has a post on this, a few pages in...
William.......

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello guys,
I updated my Webpage yet again with a few more pics ,two more of the 1/35 Firefox...William

L

·
0 Posts
That pic is sweet...

But you need to show some sand kicking up behind it!

Mike

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL,
cement doesn't kick up very well(background does look like sand though...i just put it down carefully on the sidewalk for the pic......now a few twigs might be a different story!!
....William

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here's a top view of the 1/35 scale master,notice the thickness of the fuselage and the nose as well...William

·
Registered
606 Posts
Now for the question on everyone's mind- just how much is this thing going to set us back?

-The Rat

J

·
0 Posts
Lookin good Nemo....

So a ducted fan version huh, What have you heard about these turbine engines on the market and have you had any experience with them yet?

Curious...

Jon

·
Registered
384 Posts
There,s a good half dozen manufacturers producing model turbines today. You'll need a special permit from the A.M.A. to fly them. The cost is still way out there-$3500-5000 plus the support equipment. Thrust is limited by A.M.A. regs to around 22 lbs. They are slick, quiet as a vacuum cleaner at idle, not too loud in the air, and just too dang expensive to play with.
Mr. Nemo sir; How bout injection molded epp foam for for the slope soaring crowd?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Touche!!
On the exspense part of Turbines! probably going with ducted fan...interesting that a sloap soarer was mentioned as this was my first idea. It's still a possibility, as for the 1/35 scale model should be around $200.00 hopefully...... we'll see
William

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello there!,
here's a pic of my 1/144 scale Firefox Mig-31 with stand ........ William

[This message has been edited by Wbnemo1 (edited 07-29-2000).]

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Whoops! did it again............

[This message has been edited by Wbnemo1 (edited 07-30-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Wbnemo1 (edited 07-30-2000).]

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmm.......
Having problems posting pics here...but i'll keep trying,the big Fox should be underway soon ...should be alot of fun doing the ailerons and rudders and small extentions on wings and all the minute details for a lerge scale model again the model should end up around 6 feet,i'll try tom keep the cost down for kits,but can't say as of yet...

.by the way.......I've restarted the post"EVERYTHING YOU ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT THE DISNEY NAUTILUS 2" on the polor lights forum......

K

·
0 Posts
"..Also, A good friend of mine,Kurt, has been finishing up some absolutely gorgeous renderings of the Firefox MIG 31 based on my accurate CAD drawings of the plane..He has a post on this, a few pages in...
William.......
[/B][/QUOTE]"

Hello all, this is Kurt, the guy William mentioned. This weekend I dropped the topview, sideview and frontview (all I'm doing for this round) into a 22" x 17" canvas in Photoshop. I'm in the 'final phase' of pulling it together, the actual graphic-layout of the illustration. I'm going to try to keep it very clean so as to not take attention away from the plane itself, but with a decidedly Russian undertone. My buddies' girlfriend is in a Russian Language undergraduate program in college, so I'll probably have her translate a few things into actual Russian (for the sake of extreme accuracy) =D
I'm shooting for the middle of next week to have everything (including the website) done. I'll probably have the illustration done and available for purchase before I'm done with the site, but we'll see. I'm anxious to get this DONE!! It's been almost 7 months in the making!
Any questions, feel free to drop me a line:
[email protected]

Long live the 'Fox....

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello dere,
It looks like since i'm going with a ducted fan model, it will be larger than i first thought...in talking with my contact,it will be anywhere from 80" to 100 "this will allow for the fan units with considerable power! oh boy this is going to be fun!!!

William

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hello All ,
Great news! I should have the mechanical drawing plans back in two weeks or so to start the large model, it will have twin ducted 5" fans for absolute power and be super, super detailed .............William

1 - 20 of 116 Posts