Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm still plugging away on my Star Wars Republic Destroyer. I have been drilling, cutting, test-fitting and refitting almost every night for weeks.
I have all but one of the engines done (only because I fried my last 1.5 white LED), wired, and test lit! I hope to have a board from VoodooFx in the near future which will make them light up to full power, do some flickering a bit as they burn, and then shut down in a cycle.

I have them all neatly(?) wired in succession, and man are they bright when lit up!

If the power ever goes out, I can use it for a flashlight! LOL.

I've got almost 100 ft. of fiber optics done, and still going! I just ordered more fiber from thefiberopticstore.com I would highly recommend these folks! Great service and the quality is just fantastic as well!

I'm working on the side panels, fitting the fibers thru and siliconing them in place. The tuff part is the support walls have to be cut out behind where the line comes thru on both the upper and lower hull sections. There's about 200 holes in all of the side wall components, so it's slow going!

The inside of this hull is getting crowded fast!

You can see here where I've cut out with the moto-tool for the fiber lines.

The laser cannons are all in place and the fibers run to them. I have them in varying positions and angles so it will look like they are firing at different crafts. Randy is also working on a board that will have them firing intermitent and randomly about the ship. There are also a couple of side guns and a nose cannon as well that will be lit.

·
Starship Class
12,002 Posts
MAN! Those engines are BRIGHT!

:thumbsup: GREAT work! Following your thread closely for reference purposes.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
I congratulate your effort and sympathize w/ the work. I'm fibering up my mpc SD now. All told, about 500 holes top and bottom. I won't have any laser canons firing, but the sheer amount of holes is immense. That silicone looks like a great idea. I've been using white glue to hold the fibers in place.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finished the fiber-optics in the Destroyer this weekend. In all, there are over 350 fibers run to all the holes I drilled, almost 135 feet in total length used, almost an entire tube of black silicone adhesive, and about 20 LED's will be used to light it all! (There's 10 in the engine bay alone!) It has been a very time-consuming process and a lot of work making everything fit together. The side walls of the hull had to be notched to accomodate all of the line, some of which changed as it was all assembled, which meant test-fitting and retest-fitting over and over again. I have tested all of the fiber zones, but it has not all been lit at one time yet. I'm looking forward to that.

These aluminum tubes house the bundled fiber optics lines and the LED will fit in the other end to light it all up.

There's lots still to do on this build, but this was a major part of the work to get done!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Wow Tim, All I can say is "stellar" work!
The engines?...beautiful! you are really going to have a wonderful replica...

Steve

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
:cool:Uber cool!:cool:
Man , can't wait till light up day!
-Jim

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update October 6, 2009

I got back at it last night on this Destroyer build, and managed to install all of the lower hull LED's and actually light the whole thing up! It was a happy moment for me, seeing it all aglow!

I decided to add a little green LED to the front as a tractor beam....

It's starting to get pretty crowded in there!

Everything is secure and solidly affixed. I reinforced a few strands when I had the silicone out last night just to make sure, but it's all holding just great!

I am hoping to get the upper level solid-lit light finished, and then it will be a matter of waiting on the program boards to get finished that will control the engines and laser cannons! So far, so good! I'll keep you posted as it progresses! I am also working on an Ertl X-Wing in between time, and it's off to a good start.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts