Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm cleaning out my storage room and found some unfinished/unbuilt Trek models...Bird of Prey, Voyager, 1701-E, and TOS AMT 1701.

The AMT 1701 is primed and ready to paint. But after reading dozens of model websites, I started pondering:

1. How good are the JTGraphics decal replacements? Are there better ones that also include the windows, and who sells them?

2. I have no plans to light any of my models (for now) because I don't know how. But I would like to find an accurate paint scheme for it...referring to the original series scheme, not the heavily-weathered repaint done before it went into the A&SM.

3. The stand included with it is awful. I remembered this much as a kid when I had pretty much built the whole fleet and they wouldn't sit upright. Mostly I hang my models from the ceiling, but I can forsee a time when I may want to display it on a desk. How far back from that default hole should a replacement hole be drilled for adding a vertical stand? I want to get the balance correct so it won't keel over.

4. Eventually I'll want to buy a basic airbrush kit. What would be a good one be for a beginner airbrusher?

5. Off-topic, but is there a chance we may see a Polar Lights TOS Enterprise? From what I've seen, they should be far better than the AMT cutaway 1701.

So many questions...

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
1. How good are the JTGraphics decal replacements? Are there better ones that also include the windows, and who sells them?
I have only used them once, but I thought they were of great quality.
I think you can find them through www.federationmodels.com

2. I have no plans to light any of my models (for now) because I don't know how. But I would like to find an accurate paint scheme for it...referring to the original series scheme, not the heavily-weathered repaint done before it went into the A&SM.
Great references here:http://www.starshipmodeler.com/tech/refmain.htm

3. The stand included with it is awful. I remembered this much as a kid when I had pretty much built the whole fleet and they wouldn't sit upright. Mostly I hang my models from the ceiling, but I can forsee a time when I may want to display it on a desk. How far back from that default hole should a replacement hole be drilled for adding a vertical stand? I want to get the balance correct so it won't keel over.
I never had a problem with the stands. However, I think the location of the default hole is pretty good. Maybe you should just widen it to accept your stand.
I have an AMT 18" kit that I built as the CONSTELLATION. I can balance her on a flat surface so that she'll sit upright without a stand!

4. Eventually I'll want to buy a basic airbrush kit. What would be a good one be for a beginner airbrusher?
I have this airbrush. It is very simple. I like it. I use it
primarily for spraying base coats, and finish coats.
I also can mix custom colors and spray them with it.

http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=1196

5. Off-topic, but is there a chance we may see a Polar Lights TOS Enterprise? From what I've seen, they should be far better than the AMT cutaway 1701.
Not a chance. :(
Polar Lights is no longer a company. They were assimilated by
RC2, and are just a brand name, now.

I'm sure the better modelers will have better suggestions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Toecutter said:
JT Graphics are awesome and they do have window decals. I used them to finish up my Defiant: http://www.jonathaneike.com/Images/Defiant_1.jpg

They're a little thin, and take getting used to if you've only handled factory issued decals, but good none-the-less.

Now when you're asking about a TOS Polar Lights kit, are you referring to a possibility of a 1/350 scale? If that's the case, like it was said before, don't count on it. But if that's not what you were referring to, there is the 1/1000 scale kit that was released by PL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts