I started this car on a previous thread so it kinda evolved. I stripped the casting then masked the stripes with Taymia tape and gave them a very light shot of primer then a couple coats of flat black. I then shot the whole car with the red Xmetals and then with clear. The wheels were off a maisto 80 chev pickup and I painted the centers gloss black. The base was modified quite a bit. The maisto cars have rolling axles that press into the wheels. I have been using 3/32x 1/2 inch tension pins as axle tubes for the wheel sets. I have to file a slot in the base so you get the correct wheel hight. Glue in your axle tube and slide the axle in it and you have a great rolling fit with just a hint of play. If you need to make the axle longer I found inch and a quarter X 18 wire brads to be the size for most wheel sets. With the big rear wheels the base needed to be what I call tubbed or narrowed for the wider wheels. The front wheels required the same narrowing but not as much. The car rolls great.
A note about the xmetals: This paint is great to work with! As you can see you can paint your stripes decal or whatever and paint it over the top and get a great effect. I will be doing some other mustangs with some white stripes so we will see how they come out. I will be using metallic base coats under the xmetals too. One or two coats really lets the base show through. More to come and thank you for the kind words. Jay