Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I recently finished the Revell Dracula reissue.

I added the Posthumous Productions Lugosi head and Dracula nameplate, and repositioned the arms. I also added a strip of tape to make the seam on the front of the shirt and painted on some buttons. The skin was a mix of white and tans, washed with a Citadel color ("Undead flesh," I think it was). I did a little drybrushing of the creases on the tux and the cape using a gray I mixed.
The base is just air-dry clay on a painted wood plaque.

http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff38/jgoldader/Magellan/Revell Dracula/

Thanks for looking!
Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
You went for the classic movie look. Looks great and does capture the movie look with the color scheme. I take it you didn't use any or much of the base that is included? I still have the Aurora Frightening Four Pack that I will pull Dracula out of to build up one of these months.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You went for the classic movie look. Looks great and does capture the movie look with the color scheme. I take it you didn't use any or much of the base that is included? I still have the Aurora Frightening Four Pack that I will pull Dracula out of to build up one of these months.
Nope, I didn't use any of the base. The bats are awesome, though, and I will make sure to save those. The rest (tree bits, etc.) go into the parts drawer.

I had originally wanted to do a large diorama of the famous staircase, but then I realized how... uh... large it would be, so I bailed. I would like to do a staircase though, one day. I wonder if anybody makes a very small Dracula--3-4" tall, maybe, 1/24 scale or so.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Very well done conversion Jeff!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I think it might have been Geometric that copied the Aurora monsters in a much smaller scale. i can't be sure though. I'm sure some of the guys here could tell you....

Chris.:)

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Very nicely done Jeff! :thumbsup: That's one of the best reposes I've seen done on this kit.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
I bought one of these heads/nameplates a few years ago. It sure is a nice sculpt. I also like your take on Dracula, even the change of the pose and cape.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, all, for the praise! The old Revell kit is really not bad at all--I especially liked the hands. The Posthumous head is an excellent sculpt.

This was my first monster kit since I was a child, and I had so much fun while I was building it that I went out and bought the Monarch Nosferatu and Moebius Mummy, and now have to get the new Frankenstein kit. And did I hear the old Creature From the Black Lagoon kit will be repopped, and there is a rumor of a Moebius Dracula? Sounds like a good year ahead for monsters!

FWIW, I plan on a 1/6 Drac using the Horizon vinyl kit topped with the head from the Sideshow Lugosi Dracula bust from the Universal Monsters DVD set. I bought both on *Bay earlier this year. But that's definitely a 2010-2011 project.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Nice work, Jeff. Your "soft bosomed" dress shirt (as that type was known in the 1920s) effect worked out very well. I will only point out that the original Aurora smooth-fronted shirt was accurate, also.

In Lugosi's day, the cuff, collar, and shirt front were celluloid pieces that buttoned onto the shirt; they would be discarded after they'd become soiled, leaving only the shirt itself to be washed. You may have seen old comedies where that shirt front would come undone at the waist and roll up under the wearer's chin - that gag will probably be lost on modern audiences who only know about the button-down dress shirts of today.

I was more impressed with your handling of Dracula's tuxedo. It's very smooth and hard to drybrush without getting streaks. Plus, if the drybrushing is overdone, the black tux can come out looking gray. I think you nailed yours very well.

·
Registered
287 Posts
understanding the smooth shirt may be chronologically correct, that was the detail the impressed me the most! there was always something that looked funnny about that area, to me, i had never considered the seam and buttons, VERY WELL DONE!

i have seen the cape mods before, but i really like the forward parts of the cape, even if they are trimmed short.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts