Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the kit and eagerly put it all together back when it was first released... but never painted and finished it. I had also bought the TSDS decal sheet for the model.

The basic kit is quite well done but is larger in scale than the Aurora monsters, so he really doesn't fit in well, despite being in "Aurora Style".

The molding and fit are really good overall. I did use some putty on the main coat seams and legs, but it was nothing out of the ordinary. The engineering of the coat/body/legs assembly is complicated and poor. The kit is designed so you build the coat around the completed body and legs, making painting awkward. It is easy to fix this by cutting the holes in the tab on the legs into slots so you can slip the pre-painted legs into the pre-painted coat/vest assembly. This was the only modification I made to the model. The coat was done in Tamiya German RLM 02 Grey and the pants in Poly Scale Early Israeli Tan. The gloves, bandages, etc. all fit well and aligned without much fuss.

I painted the wooden floor base with Poly Scale "Deck Tan" and then applied various washes and dry brushes of browns and tans over it. Each board was treated a bit differently and one at a time to make the floor more interesting and realistic. The edges between the boards themselves were picked out with a black wash. I had intended to use the TSDS decal for the floor rug... but it was much too large and just did not overlay the molded detail very well. The molding of the rug on the base is not the best... it is engraved into the floor rather than being raised up! But it is not hard to paint... Despite its size the base is very sturdy and the whole model, when completed, doesnt have much "flex" to it.

The table was painted with various Tamiya and Testors brown paints to match the wonderful TSDS decal top. I puttied in the crudely engraved papers on the table. Again, instead of being slightly raised (or provided as a printed item on the instructions to cut out and glue down) the papers are recessed into the table which is unrealistic and hard to paint. The TSDS decal solved all of that quite easily.

I painted the book case with various Tamiya and Poly Scale browns, giving it a darker tone than the table, which is a bit orangy. All of the accessories go together very well.

The books, jars, etc were all pre painted and glued down with Testors Clear Parts Cement. I relocated a few details to suit my own tastes and to keep things a bit less cluttered. The big difference was moving the large stack of books to the back of the base, and the name plate/book to the left side of the book case. This way they don't block the figure and clutter the scene.

I wasn't thrilled with the invisible mice and didn't glue them down. I suppose they look "okay". Their clear cage came cracked in my kit from a stress fracture. There is also a huge mold sprue mark on the opposite side. I treated all the clear parts with a bit of Pledge With Future Shine to help hide the seams and make them a bit brighter. All of the clear glassware is very well done. Some of the bottles were tinted with Tamiya and Humbrol clear
paints to represent colored liquids inside.

Overall a very well done, fun to build kit. The TSDS decals are very well done and go on great. Solvaset was the best solvent to make them conform, but Micro Sol and Gunze Mr. Mark Softener did okay. You do have to apply the decals over a white or light colored background, so take that into account when you paint the areas where the decals will go. For the books, I painted them all white, then yellowed up the page ends. After I applied the decals for the spines and pages, I could just go back and paint the visible parts of the book covers to match the pre colored spines.

:wave:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Wow! That really looks great - Very clean paint work and I love your choice of colors :thumbsup: The floor is especially well done!

Thanks for taking the time to write out your impressions of the kit, I always enjoy hearing how other modelers go about building a kit and solving any potential problems. It will be helpful when I get around to building mine. I was wondering if there was a way to build and paint his jacket and slip it on later - Thats how I built my Revell Franky and it was MUCH easier than trying to paint things after it was installed!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Nice job. I particularly like the round table finish.
I have to admit I was somewhat glad to see that your left hand and arm did not line up just right. I thought it was just my bad.
As a side note: I used a blow dryer and gentle pressure to get it to line-up better. I takes a bit of time, but that's part of the beauty of modeling.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Thanks for sharing your technique, discussion, and many close-up pictures. You've done some beautiful work on ths amazing kit.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Excellent!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: I really like the realism you've given the books and table. Great work!!

Chris.:)

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
just what I like,modelers that try to outdo each other.Fantastic detailing and excellent choice of colors.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
722 Posts
It's amazing how plain little pieces of plastic can be magically transformed into a beautiful, and realistic scene like this when put into the right hands. Excellent work djnick66! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kitz' :wave:

·
Registered
321 Posts
This is a cool kit. I just sat down with this it, and my wife took it over ;) She loves that it's a lot like outfitting a dollhouse, and totally got into it. So I pulled the Moebius Frankenstein kit out. She's got it ready to paint now and I had a grand time walking her through the basics of model building.

Family bonding, over models.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is a cool kit. I just sat down with this it, and my wife took it over ;) She loves that it's a lot like outfitting a dollhouse, and totally got into it. So I pulled the Moebius Frankenstein kit out. She's got it ready to paint now and I had a grand time walking her through the basics of model building.

Family bonding, over models.
Funny you should mention this... I have a husband/wife pair of customers who shop in my store. She paints all the little pilots, soldiers, figures for her husband's models. But she liked the Invisible Man kit when she saw me working on it in the shop, and did it up herself. Since then I sold her an old Monogram Dracula and Frankenstein to work on.

·
Elder Statesman
1,147 Posts
Definitely nice work!! This is one great kit to detail and you've done a great job!!:thumbsup:

- Denis

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Check with TSDS about the decals... http://www.tsdsinc.com/ They offer a good product and very good customer service. I have bought several of their sets (check my 1/350 Seaview build). They really make a difference, even if you use just a few.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts