Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
GP? Well one thing led to another and it kinda got weighted down for a GP car. Now its big, bad and has a face only a "mother" (read that a creator) could love. "Torpedo" hasn't figured out a way to get in it as of yet so he can give her a test drive. Besides access he wants to know "Just how da hella you wanta me to see out over that front enda." Old guy still ain't figured out that first turns gonna kill him. :cool:
click image to enlarge

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got "Torpedo" behind the wheel. Had to promise him a 20 year old bottle of Ciante (sp?) and a 20 year old girl to help drink it. What happens after that is up to her. He actually threw the thing into a hard left hander at speed and came out with his butt intact as well as keeping the car in one piece. Pretty good for a 112 year old driver. That's why I get him cheap :cool: I just hope that 20 year old wine and girl don't kill him tonight.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
69Stang said:
Yea, what a great piece! I dig the two tone paint. And that old guy can DRIVE! The action photo is cool as can be! Nice work as always.
Yeah! He can drink too. Must have something to do with conditioning.

About 8 years ago I had the priviledge to get to spend the evening in a hospitality room with several WWII flying aces. 80 year old +, AVG (Flying Tiger) member David "Tex" Hill was one of them. "Tex" made no secret that he liked to drink. I'd had several beers myself and "Tex" was knocking down somekind of mixed concoctions. We were in a small group including Bob Scott (God Is My Co-Pilot). Bob and I had been talking thirty minutes or so and he was sipping on something as well as the group became a bit larger and eventually involved "Tex." A buddy of his from Georgia came up from behind tapped him on the shoulder and handed him a Mason Jar with something clear in it. He said "Here "Tex" you need to try some of this." At which point "Tex" obliged. "DAAAAANG! What is that? Peach Brandy? That's Smooooooth." As he handed the jar to Bob. Bob took a chug and said "That IS good." and handed it to me. I said "Boys I been drinkin' beer all night. I don't need no mooshine." Tex came up with "Awwwww it won't hurt ya'. Its smoooooth." I rationalized out loud. "Well to be able to say I've drunk moonshine with "Tex" Hill and Bob Scott.... Give me that jar." I've drunk moonshine with "Tex" Hill and Bob Scott. :thumbsup: When I retired (too drunk to drive the 30 minutes home) sometime afterward "Tex," like the Energizer Bunny, was still going. The next morning I came down to the hotel lobby for some coffee with a thousand little demons banging in my head. I look up and here come "Tex" whistling some out of tune didy. "Have a good time last night?" he asked. Yeah....I got to drink moonshine with "Tex" Hill and Bob Scott."

So..........It must be conditioning. "Tex" passed away a couple of years back. He had to be somewhere around 90. So if your "in condition" lifestyle might have less to do with longevity than old age. :cool:

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
69Stang said:
:p :p :p What a great story! I guess it's true, they don't make em' like that anymore!
Though I've done much less than some. I've done much more than others. I've done so much stupid stuff, fun stuff, risky stuff and different stuff in my life that I don't have to make stuff up. I just have to try and not sound like a DA when I relate the stupid, risky and different stuff:thumbsup:

My WWII aviation art has given the the privlegde of meeting and the opportunity to work with, some of the greatest individuals that have ever been placed on the face of this planet. Your right. "They don't make 'em like that anymore." At least not whole generations of 'em. That's the down side of working with these guys. I sure do miss 'em as they pass. Hardly a day goes by I don't think of the ones I've worked with that are now gone. But I'm better for having met them.

Someone on another board suggested a grill on the GP. I kind of grew attatched to the Charger grill after building the fenders around it. But I did get to thinking that opening for the "supercharger" might be big enough to swallow a buzzard. So I put a "Crow deflector" over it today.
I kind of gives a continuation of the hood line and make it look a little less like a tank. Yeah. "Torpedo" got back out in it for another test drive before the big rains and winds move in this afternoon. I think he actually likes this one....But he'll never admit it. :cool:

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
I like your perspective. On a related note, is there anywhere I can log on and check out some of your art work? I would like that very much.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My site is down. The guy that was hosting it had several heart attacks and pretty much shut down everything he was doing. I haven't put anything back up since as I've been pre-occupied with life in general. I've got a "MySpace page @ http://www.myspace.com/75469667 that has several pics as well as other art work I've done.

I do have several pics up on "The Color Pencil Challenge" board under Hayne Coleman. No.... Mama didn't name me Clearhooter. Hayne's been bad enough. Had to take my college entrance over because they misfiled it under "Wayne." :mad: But on the upside of that, if I want a domain name, all I have to do is put that moniker in it somewhere and its mine.

Over all there are over 30 WWII aviation drawings. All have been co-signed by the airmen that told me the story that started the drawings. All are done in color pencil and I consider all to be works in progress. Though most actions are of guys "Just doing their job." some of the "notable" airmen I've worked with are Bob Morgan (The Memphis Belle pilot), Robert S Johnson (tied with Gabby Gabreski as the highest ace in the ETO), Joe Rosbert (Original AVG member) Herb "Trigger Long (double ace USMC) and one open signing that has been co-signed by over 30 members of "The Bloody 100th BG" that includes Glenn Rojhon (the "piggy back pilot") three CO's, several crew members of "Rosie's Riviters" that also includes Rosenthals signature. All of the 11x17 color prints of the drawings include a written account of the work and some have some extras such as "Range! Fire!" which includes a copy of the posthumous DFC we got the pilot 50 years after the fact. That was one of the best developments to come out of my aviation art and I'm proud to have been a part in getting the pilot a decoration he deserved. That story can be read at the 2nd Bomb Group web site. It still gives me chills everytime I read it; and I compiled the story and did the drawing over 6 years ago. If you got the time check some of the stuff mentioned out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts