Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I decided to go with madmanmark's suggestion on paint since there was so much I no longer knew about gold paint. It'd been decades since I'd painted anything that color. Shoot! I don't use gold or silver when I'm painting or drawing something. I represent it with browns, yellows, tans, etc. for gold and grays, blues, whites, etc for silver. Anyway I tried the gold paint mainly to see if Krylon Triple Clear Glaze would gloss over the top or soak into the paint like all the rest of the clears I'd tried years ago. The fact that the car is being shown in gold answers that question. Shines like a new penny or errrrr.....maybe more like a Gold Eagle. One thing it did do was to slightly alter the color of the gold paint to a greener look but I could live with that since I really didn't like the gold, gold look that much. Prior to painting (no primer by the way) I polished the roof with jeweler's rouge as well as the chrome trim. This was painted with a thin application of rubber cement. When the gold dried and before the clear I rubbed off the rubber cement leaving the chrome and polished roof. Though I'm not at all happy with the wheels they will have to serve until a better time that they can be up dated. Sharpie marker was used to increase the sidewalls 'cause as we all know I HATE DUBBS!!! I cut a very thin line of 3M Adheasive foil for the bright work down the side of the fender. One last thing note the use of bronze guitar string for the down pipes for the exhaust. That helped fill a huge gap in the fender wells that offended me.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Polished the roof with jewelr's rouge on a Dremel with a buffing cone. Looks like I still need to dig out some gold from between the trim lines. You can't see that either in hand.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not really familiar with what "Real Riders" look like. Anyone got an example? If they aren't DUBBS it'd be a consideration. I like tires with sidewalls on these older looking cars. Something with Porterwalls might even look OK. I've also considered capping these leaving just a bit of the wires exposed.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That sounds like something I need a bunch of. How much do the cars cost that use them? What kinds of cars?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts