Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DaCustomizer said:
Those are nice!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I still wonder how you make the rust.... :hat:
It's real simple really. On the Caddy I used plain "rust" paint and pastels to do the weathering. On the Ghia I tried something new...a product found at Michaels. >>RUST<<
It's a two part water based system. Part A contains a solution with iron filings that is applied to whatever you want to look rusted. Allow it to dry over night then apply the actual rusting solution (part B). You can go over it as many times as you want for the desired effect. Best part it leaves a textured look to the rust...like it's actually deteriorating.

Oh BTW...it comes in a kit of 2-2oz bottles for $10. You can also get larger size (maybe 6-8 oz?) bottles for about $9 each bottle. My local newspaper has a Michales flyer with 40% coupons each Sunday...saved some $$ that way.

Jerry

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
jlfphoto said:
It's real simple really. On the Caddy I used plain "rust" paint and pastels to do the weathering. On the Ghia I tried something new...a product found at Michaels. >>RUST<<
It's a two part water based system. Part A contains a solution with iron filings that is applied to whatever you want to look rusted. Allow it to dry over night then apply the actual rusting solution (part B). You can go over it as many times as you want for the desired effect. Best part it leaves a textured look to the rust...like it's actually deteriorating.
I've been using that for a few years. Great stuff. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
jlfphoto said:

Oh BTW...it comes in a kit of 2-2oz bottles for $10. You can also get larger size (maybe 6-8 oz?) bottles for about $9 each bottle. My local newspaper has a Michales flyer with 40% coupons each Sunday...saved some $$ that way.

Jerry
I have to try this stuff
Truly great work.
BTW Michael's website isn't clear (to me) on this, can I order from Michael's online? Closest store to me is over 100 miles away.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Those are awesome! That rust truly looks real! Very nice work.

John, I have a Michaels very close to me, if you need me to I will gladly pick some up for you. Just let me know :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts