Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.

This kit is without a doubt, the BEST model kit I have had the pleasure to build.However their are a couple things I would like to fix. The Cockpit interior.
I want to modify it to more acurately reflect "the full size set" as seen in "The Empire Strikes Back".I know that the kit is based on the 32" Falcon and not the 5' version.Their are many differences. Are there decals available? Blueprints of the real set Falcon Cockpit(as again, Seen in Empire)? Based on the references I have, The actual "dash board" should be shortened and the seats, ETC..moved closer the Windows.

Any Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
This is the kit I'm currently working on the most, and I have to say I've never cursed a sci-fi kit for having TOO MANY parts.

The parts go way beyond what is necessary to convey the detail.
I know about undercutting of molds etc... and I'm saying at least 100 parts could have been intergrated onto other surfaces with no loss of detail.

Everything does fit beautifully and the quality of the detail is superb.
I personally though wish that they had based it on the larger falcon model.

·
Curmudgeon
6,614 Posts
ClubTepes said:
This is the kit I'm currently working on the most, and I have to say I've never cursed a sci-fi kit for having TOO MANY parts.

The parts go way beyond what is necessary to convey the detail.
I know about undercutting of molds etc... and I'm saying at least 100 parts could have been intergrated onto other surfaces with no loss of detail.
I haven't started on mine yet but, after seeing some of the build-ups already done, I'd have to agree. While AMT over-simplified a great deal of the surface detail, FineMolds seems to have taken it to excess in the opposite direction by making each and every greeblie a separate part that must be dealt with. Still, I don't think we'll ever see another styrene Falcon with that level of detail, so I'm not complaining too much.

ClubTepes said:
I personally though wish that they had based it on the larger falcon model.
I agree to a point, but my only real "quibble" is that bulbous "toilet float" detail on the starboard sidewall just forward of the cockpit; it just seems too "out of place" and too obvious, regardless of whether or not it was on the actual filming miniature.

·
Banned
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Believe it or not, I really enjoyed putting all those parts on the Falcon! It gave me an Idea what the ILM Model Makers went through. I too Like the 5' Falcon, But after building this replica of the 32" Ship, I am begining to like it more than it's big brother. I wonder what the reasoning was behind Using the 32" ship And not the 5'. MR used The same model. Possibly Lucas would only allow access to the Smaller Falcon???Again , no complaints here. This model is a beauty right out of the box! Just for my own, I want to do more to the Cockpit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Beatlepaul,

I have built graphics into the original full sized cockpit plans for the purpose of upgrading the cockpit of my AMT falcon to the original set. I have not finished as I have scraped the original cockpit from the AMT falcon and am replacing with a new on of the correct size.

Here are a few pics of the cockpit and console. They can be used as simple decals or used firstly as a template to build the cockpit and console out of plastic(or anything else) and then apply the graphics as a deal or clear plastic overlay.

I did these test builds in paper, so they are by no means the best they could be.

first test build

Console with graphics test

I did the graphics at 1200dpi, so the photoshop jpegs are big, they need to be resized for the FM falcon. You are welcome to them, if you can rebuild the whle cockpit.

Ozzy

·
Registered
12 Posts
They are available for free download at:

http://www.starshipmodeler.net/cgi-bin/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=44905

Again these are in the original format that i worked on them in. They need to be resized. I am no graphics artist so I have no experience with graphics software. If anyone can size them to the AMT and FM size I would be happy to have them hosted for everyone to use.

PS: Even though I spent four months resourching the graphics to get them correct, I have found one or two details that are not right. I am going to correct this.

Here is a closer look at the detail and a pic of the gun turret graphics as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi drew, how ya been doing! Finaly got them done a few months ago. Could have done with your help towards the end, but lost track of you.

Hope all has been well.

Ozzy

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Beautiful work, Ozzy, thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

R

·
0 Posts
Excellent stuff ozzy, thanks for posting mate !
May drag the ole cutaway down from the loft and have a pop at some point :)

Go easy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the kind words guys.

I have included a RAR file at the link above with resized graphics for the AMT, the back wall is 3.45cm in size.

Regards

Ozzy

·
Banned
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll post pics when it's finished OZZY. Your Custom Cockpit will make a Huge difference. I am collecting more film photos for references.The Falcon, Like the Jupiter 2,Seaview Has a varity of looks.It seems if I Make it like the Full Scale cockpit, It wll not match up to the 32" model anymore. Just picked up the book Star Wars 365 days. Cool Pics of the Falcon in there.I am also finishing up a Custom Police Spinner for a gentleman I sold it to.

High Regards.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Hey guys,
I thought I'd barge into you topic with a picture of my just finished FM Falcon.
Seen here trying to escape Hector the giant space Chihuahua.

sorry it's so dark, but when I use the flash, it washes out the lighting

Tis a shame I already had the cockpit buttoned up before your excellent postings. I almost want to crack it open to do a renovation, but there are too many kits lined up behind it waiting to be built

Cheers,
Lou

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,017 Posts
Looks great.

I'm really looking forward to building this kit. The last few models I've completed have called for a clean off-the-assemblyline look, so it'll be fun to work on something that requires a bit o' grunge.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Impressive lights and paint job, Lou :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts