Hobbyist Forums banner

finding cures,,,,,O/T

2K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  Kenny Kaos 
#1 ·
you ever wonder why they dont find cures for anything anymore?,,,,when smallpox was a problem and after the worlds technology was just beginning,,they found a cure. but nowdays,,,we cant seem to find a cure for anything,,,,,,there is no reason why all the billions and billions of dallars hasnt found a cure for like childrens diabetes,,,,,i think that its just another bunch of BS to keep the billions and billions of "research" dollars flowing in to places unknown and will never ever end. like MS,,,,,,jerry lewis telethons have brought in mega bucks for "research" and thats just a tiny part of what gets contributed by taxes toward the cure of the disease,,,,but still ,,,,,nothing,,,,,thats rediculous. when the goverment wants to send a space shuttle to space,,,they find a way to make a tile that can be heated WHITE HOT (2200 degrees) and still held in a mans hand. but we havent seen anyone find a cure for any of the major diseases for decades,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,makes you wonder dont it???

#3 ·
Hey man, it pays more to research and treat disease than it does to cure it. Aids, Cancer, MS, MDS, you name it... ITS MORE PROFITABLE TO TREAT THAN TO CURE....I heard a group of doctors talking once, and they were talking all this crap....It made me sick!!!

#4 ·
jaymzo said:
Hey man, it pays more to research and treat disease than it does to cure it. Aids, Cancer, MS, MDS, you name it... ITS MORE PROFITABLE TO TREAT THAN TO CURE....I heard a group of doctors talking once, and they were talking all this crap....It made me sick!!!
You are absolutely right! I spend (actually my insurance spends) $1300 each month for supplies...my wheelchair costs $3,800 and no it is not electric and I wear them out every year...the cushion for my wheelchair is $500, yet the same company can make a complete air matress out of the same stuff and only charge $45...medical equipment is way overpriced.

Stem cells! I feel that is my only hope to walk again...its a shame the government doesn't care. I wish Pres Bush could live just one day in my wheelchair...he would change his mind.

#6 ·
3 years ago i lost my grandfather to cancer. they don't know how he got lung cancer. he never smoked a day in his life. 2 years ago october i lost my father to cancer. it sure would have been nice to have had a cure. my father was only 50. i know there are people who have had similar loses. i just can't believe with our technology today that we can't find a decent treatment for diseases like this. hopefully one day there will be so others won't have to deal with this sort of loss.

#7 · (Edited)
Childrens diabetes you say? There is a cure but politics and religion are involved. Stem cells and cell cloning.....two hot topics that are in debate as to how and when to use it. There is a cure, make no mistake about it. The fear is, how will the technology be used and regulated and does the church approve?

While this is being faught out, back up or inferior methods are worked on that are "politically correct" like taking islet cells from cadavers and splicing it into the diabetics pancreas. A half ass attempt when the own person's cells could be replicated and used without rejection. There are many cures out there but they are not allowed to be used for fear that someone could take it to another level. In my mind, with that mentality, no medicine would have ever been allowed but like Badman, I have to live with it everyday with my son.

I'll get off my box now as this is a sore subject for me.

#8 ·
no cures

I totally agree with JAYMZO on this one.

It's much more profitable to keep treating someone for their lifetime than to cure the disease. If diabetes was cured then who would be able to make the billions of dollars off of Insulin production, syringes, lancets, blood testing monitors?........I could go on and on.

I wondered about this often myself. I'm a diabetic. I take 4 shots a day and test my blood 5-6 times a day. It sucks!

Rick

#9 ·
I go to sleep each night hoping someone has the mind set that the cure is the goal but better treatment in the mean time is the short term result.

I too have wondered if companies like Lilly who make insulin spend money on treatment rather than cures for better profits. I have often felt that research done at Pharmicutical companies are profit/treatment driven while research at teaching hospitals and research institutes are cure driven. Both are needed.

#10 · (Edited)
Findung cures

55Badman , If Pres Bush was in a wheelcharir , it would have all the goodies a sub or plane has , NOT him having to control it. I know how it is for you to push your slef around all day and etc , My son is a diabetica and is in a wheelchair , he had a car accident because of low sugar , lost his left eye and had a electric car to get around , But how is in a regular chair because he lost sight 3 months ago in the right eye , he keeps me in shape taking him looking for JL cars(am the HW guy) , He hasnt lost intereted in cars , We went to the WWW and he keep telling me the good time he had , because all the people we meet talked cars with him , He can fell a car and tell most the time which one it is. There are to many pills for doctors to give us , and like some you on Talk said , why get a cure and loose the $ for pills.Sorry for the long msg , I just joined and like the way you talk abouth differnet subjects. joe ford(Armysgtpenna)

#11 ·
i only posted this question because i am just me,,,,,,,,i have a hard time "trusting" the top people of the human race. i have always been one who questions pertaining to supposed "facts" taylored by those top people. you guys know me by now. i guess i just have to be the one who asks "prove it to me". tell me a fact,,,,,ya right,,,,show me the facts,,,,,and thats better.

i saw a commercial asking me to send money for reasearch funding for childrens diabetes,,,,,,,,it made me think,,,again.

someone put me in charge of all this reasearch,,,,i WOULD get the answer or die trying.

#12 ·
MARKHOS said:
Childrens diabetes you say? There is a cure but politics and religion are involved. Stem cells and cell cloning.....two hot topics that are in debate as to how and when to use it. There is a cure, make no mistake about it. The fear is, how will the technology be used and regulated and does the church approve? .
i can understand your frustration,,,,,,,,its like we have the cure but have the hands tied because of greedy a holes who would go behond the cure to use it to create who knows what. GD stupid fu(&ers,,,,,,they ruin everything. they are worse than terrorism,,,,,,,,

G
#14 ·
sh1035 said:
So its a tad off topic but what will the proceeds from the Logan Auction at fest go to?
Right now they are trying to raise funds for a van to transport their people

They also have these needs:

LOGAN Wish List
It is through the support of many that LOGAN is able to offer opportunities for individuals and their families. The LOGAN Wish List is a collection of People, Places and Things that will help us continue to offer these opportunities.
People
Person to play the piano one hour per week for our Music Class
Person to teach 1:1 basic guitar lessons
Person to teach keyboarding lessons
Places
Things
*Display case for displaying items manufactured or packaged at Logan Industries
*Supply of vcr tapes on social skills and comunication, community awareness and safety
*cd/radio
*Juke box for cafeteria
*Filing cabinet with two drawers....ability to lock
*Variety of cooking and serving utensils, big spoons, knives, ladels, serving trays
Towels and hand cloths for grooming classes
*Towels, wash rags, soaps, deodorants, mouthwash, toothpaste
* ART SUPPLIES----white poster board, markers, tracing paper, glitter glue, rubber stamps and ink pads, finger paint, sidewalk chalk, buttons, lace, fabric scraps
*A storage cabinet

You can read abut the things Logan Center does at

www.logancenter.org

#15 ·
I think it unfair to blame President Bush for this just as it would be to blame John Kerry for chopping up near full term babies into little pieces.
For the record, stem cell research has not been made illegal, simply it is not not (entirely) funded by the government (part of it is).
Private research can do as much on this as they wish. And they will, hopefully one day very soon Dan.
Amazing what folks on their own can do when they set their minds to it.
Jonas Salk cured polio on his own, not in some government laboritory.

Rarely does government controlled medicine ever cure anything. Then again there were the Nazis...

#16 ·
Mac was not on the offensive and sounds like a good source to send funds to!

One of these days I want to open up a school for wayword teens that just dont fit into the normal realm of life (like any teen does)

Music.....Eddie Van Halen will fly in to teach...almost like the school of rock!
Gym: How about a half pipe! Is that Tony Hawk?????
English: Hmm how about some washed out actor out of detox.....community service...and a lesson learned.......
Shop: KIds this is a 19** (insert your favorite car) You all have seen this guy on TV....

Oh I could go on.............But I bet we could save a lot of them!

G
#17 ·
sh1035 said:
Mac was not on the offensive and sounds like a good source to send funds to!
Scott,

I don't think anybody thought you were, but its always good to ask questions, right here in my little area, we just had a 20 year police officer jailed for keeping money collected for the 9-11 police officers that were victims' families, so you should be able to ask and get a good answer

Rob - unofficially at this time, of course!! :cool:

#18 ·
modsquad said:
I think it unfair to blame President Bush for this just as it would be to blame John Kerry for chopping up near full term babies into little pieces.
For the record, stem cell research has not been made illegal, simply it is not not (entirely) funded by the government (part of it is).
Private research can do as much on this as they wish. And they will, hopefully one day very soon Dan.
Amazing what folks on their own can do when they set their minds to it.
Jonas Salk cured polio on his own, not in some government laboritory.

Rarely does government controlled medicine ever cure anything. Then again there were the Nazis...
Mod-you beleive too much of what you hear to be true...for the most part Bush has absolutly stoped ANY research of stem cells in the US. The research he does allow is with stem cells that are too old and too few to be used, so private research is NOT being done. If they say they are they are lying. Yes people lie. Mllions of stem cells are thrown in the trash every single day, legally! Bush would rather have them thrown away than help people. Does that make since? People that believe stem cells have to come from a featus are highly mistaken...a stem cell can be made in a petree dish.

I don't care about Kerry or Bush. I just want a cure.

#21 ·
Cure?

Most of you probably have the cure you are looking for on your shelf. Let me quote a few of the verses;
Psalm 103:2-3 Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits. He forgives all my sins and heals all my diseases;......

Psalm 30:2 O Lord my God, I called to you for help and you healed me.

Proverbs 4:20-22
My son, pay attention to what I say, listen closely to my words. Do not let them out of your sight, keep them within your heart; for they are life to those who find them and health to a man's whole body. (the word "health" also means "medicine").

1Peter 2:24 He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed.

Jesus has already sacrificed his life and paid the price for us to be healed spiritually, physically, mentally. A new life in union with God and a promise of his protection. It is there, all you have to do is ask him with a believing heart.

#26 ·
Westy said:
I'm sorry but again you are wrong

I only stated that President Bush has funded research.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/opinion/9466038.htm?1c
No, what you stated was that President Bush was the 1st Presedent to fund research. When in fact Clinton had federally funded stem cell research before Bush became President.

Sure Bush is funding stem cell research, but there aren't any stem cells left under his policy that are useable. So it is his way of looking like he is for something when he is not. It's like funding someone to build a house but they can only use rotten wood. It just won't work.

There are only 19 strains of stem cells left that are allowed to be studied. And, all of the cells were grown on what is called a "feeder layer" of mouse cells. They are basically contaminated.

This is a subject I know well. I was scheduled to be in human stem cell trials, which were cancelled due to the fact that there just aren't any stem cells that could be used.

I'm not anti Bush. I voted for him. But the fact is he basically killed any stem cell research in the US.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.