Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found today at TRU. I got two (2) sets with the WL 68 Barracuda. I also picked up a VW set. Buy 2 get 1 free! At first, the free one didn't come up at the register, but I told the cashier "your sign says buy 2 get 1 free Johnny Lightning over 3.99". She got on her walkie-talkie and the guy said "go ahead and give it to him". So I got 2 sets with the 68 Cuda WL and 1 VW set for the price of 2. Advice: don't let 'em get away with not honoring the buy 2 get 1 free deal!

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
Now that is an awesome deal! Congrats! I hear those sets are 6 to a case and the WLs are two to a case with the same set having the same WL. I think it's a ploy to sell lots of sets at $20 a pop.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I bought a Firebird and Holiday Classic '55 Chevy today at TRU, and I asked the cashier if the buy 2 get one free deal was still going on. She rang them up to check and said no. So does the deal not apply since I bought a car for 3.99 and one for 2.99?

I didn't see any signs for the promotion so I let it slide. And the Firebird was a WL, so I was too happy to argue! :D

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The sign I saw said the item had to be at least 3.99, so it could very well be your 2.99 car didn't qualify. But you're right, you got a WL! Congrats!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Boxs Rip easy

Be very carefull with the boxes the cardboard on the outside top RIP VERY EASYLY i grabbed one and my thumb ripped the cardboard like it was toilet paper LOL and yes it had a white lighting in it. just a heads up thanks BillyT

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jeff Koch said:
They still haven't hit in the SoCal TRUs I visit.

jk
Yeah Jeff...... just yesterday I posted that I hadn't seen them yet in my area, and today there they were. In fact, I must have gotten there just after they put them out, because I saw the box they were in flattened out in a cart. All 6 were on the shelf. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rlyoung1 said:
Actually the sign says $3.99 or less. You got LUCKY!! :thumbsup:
You get the lowest priced item for free.
Wow! I'll have to take another look at the signs. I thought it said 3.99 or higher. Well...... they gave it to me free!

G

·
All ours had were 2 Mopar sets and 1 VW set... no WL's, ... bought 1 Mopar set and left the VW set.. the only 2 cars I wanted were the 2 with surfboards and I wasn't payin $20 for that

Rob

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
how many sets come to a shipment or case?

saw 4 sets at 1 T.R.U...2 VW and 2 different Muscle car...

no WL's in any of the 4... did someone already take the WL sets?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Tanwijaspo said:
Be very carefull with the boxes the cardboard on the outside top RIP VERY EASYLY i grabbed one and my thumb ripped the cardboard like it was toilet paper LOL and yes it had a white lighting in it. just a heads up thanks BillyT
Yup! like I mentioned on the other thread I tore the corner on my Mopar or No Car set too! :cry:
Nice to hear I'm not the only ham-fisted putz on this forum! :lol:

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Pablodragon said:
how many sets come to a shipment or case?

saw 4 sets at 1 T.R.U...2 VW and 2 different Muscle car...

no WL's in any of the 4... did someone already take the WL sets?
6 sets in a case (2 Muscle Cars, 2 VW, 2 Mopar or No Car). I have read elsewhere that there are 2 WL sets (I believe the same car in each set) in a case. That is exactly what I found. There were 6 sets on the shelf and 2 of the sets had WL Cudas in them.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
jasydad said:
6 sets in a case (2 Muscle Cars, 2 VW, 2 Mopar or No Car). I have read elsewhere that there are 2 WL sets (I believe the same car in each set) in a case. That is exactly what I found. There were 6 sets on the shelf and 2 of the sets had WL Cudas in them.
thanx for the info..but...
so... every T.R.U. is getting these cases with every case having 2 WL sets in them? wow...thats a lot of WL sets out there... sure wouldn't pay more than the $20 each for them...
sounds like a flood of these showin up on e-pay...

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
........... or you could look at it this way: there are 60 cars in each case and only 2 White Lightnings. That's less than 5%, isn't it?

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
jasydad Nice finds !!!!! Been to 3 of 5 TRUs around here and two of them had all 3 sets (12 total) 2 of each no W/Ls in any of the sets .The 3rd store had all 3 sets (6 total) two of the muscle cars sets had a W/L Daytona in them so not all sets are getting W/Ls but there still seems to be a lot of these showing up out there

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I doubt there is a ploy to the WL theory - to sell more sets . All I see are VW sets . The other 2 sell out quickly ! Being that theres only 2 of each per case . After much looking I finally found a Mopar set (No WL) , This was after my initial find a 2 Mopar sets w/ 62 Ply WL . I still havent found any Muscle car sets . At $20 - thats $2 per car , cheaper than singles .... But theres probably a few you dont want in them .

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
rlyoung1 said:
Actually the sign says $3.99 or less. You got LUCKY!! :thumbsup:
You get the lowest priced item for free.
Just to clarify. I stopped in TRU this morning and the sign says "Buy 2 get the 3rd free on any Johnny Lightning item 3.99 or MORE". I'm not into rippin' anybody off (even TRU), so I feel better.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts