Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need help: Finally bought the Masudaya 16" YM-3 Lost in Space Robot

Folks,
I finally bought a Masudaya YM-3 LIS Robot model and was wanting to get as much input from those that have gone before me on constructing this kit. I haven't been able to find a good online build guide for it, so I was wondering if anyone had a source or could offer some sage advice. One thing that I really want to do is fix the arms so that they are mounted correctly on the torso. Also, is there any aftermarket lighting and voice chip kits available - or something that was made for the Polar Lights re-issue that could be made to work with the Masadaya 16" kit? Also, on the issue of paint, I was wondering if I am stuck having to go the Acrylic route or if the vinyl they used will work with the Duplicolor/Rustoleum Vinyl lacquer based automotive trim paints that I have been using for my action figure customs.

In advance, I would like to thank everyone who posts to this thread for their input and advice.

Best regards,
Guido

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
If the kit is indeed vinyl, I would NOT use lacquer directly on it. The solvent is too "hot". At best you could expect a gooey mess that never dries...at worst, a partially melted robot.

I have successfully used enamel on vinyl kits with several acrylic primer coats as a barrier, but you've got to watch that they don't clog small details since vinyl kits tend to have softer detail than styrene or resin to begin with.

I'd also allow several days for the acrylic coats to fully cure. If you're absolutely dead set on using lacquer, I'd go with several light coats as opposed to one heavy one. In theory, that should allow the laquer to partially "gas-out" before it hits the model surface and there won't be quite so much solvent attacking the acrylic all at once.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
I used acrylics on mine with good results about 16 years ago when I bought him and Robby when they first came out. I have not found any replacement or correction parts for the Robot and I wish I could. The one bigest thing that spoils an otherwise fine model is those stupid arms! They make him look most toylike no matter how good you paint him. I'll be watching this thread to see if there is anyone with any ideas. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
AT the very least spray or hand brush a layer of acrylic over the figure before painting it. I thought I had used a 'safe' primer on mine, but it stayed sticky forever, and even after sanding and scraping off the original paint I had put on it, and repainting strictly with acrylics, it's still slighty sticky!

Do a test paint on just a very small area first to be completely sure you are safe in whatever paint you decide to use. I sure wish I had done so!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
my suggestion that worked 100% for mine:..go to any automotive shop and get a spray can of "vinyl automotive primer"...once you spray that on, you can use virtually any kind of paint on it...worked like a charm on mine..and 2 others that I did for people, in the 80's and 90's

Z

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I've always meant to replace the awful looking arms on mine with a set of nylon "thread savers", they look awfully close to the "stowed" arms. I saw someone's B-9 done with a pair at a show a few years ago, and they looked great. 'Course, you still got to scratch the claws.

I painted both mine with auto acrylic lacquers (probably Duplicolor) over primer, and had no problems. The metallic gun metal grey I used on my Robby came out particularly nice, especially with a little Tamiya "smoke" airbrushed on to add some depth to the nooks and crannies.

As far as I know, nobody has ever offered any kind of aftermarket upgrades to either the Masudaya YM-3 or Robby the Robot. I wouldn't mind a electronics and light package for the YM, and a replacement dome for Robby, since the stock ones tend to yellow badly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You definitely
Have to at least scratch build the claws.The bubble I found a dissapointment aswell.It should be molded with one piece not split in the middle.I mean the scale is really big so it should have been done that way.I wish the kit would have been scaled at 1/6 or 1/4.1/6 would make it to scale with the Metropolis Robinsons.1/5 is a bit rarer and hard to find figures at that scale.
But it big enough to do some serious scratch building and one can easily go overboard and make new claws,bubble,LEDS and new radar ears etc,etc.
Or you can build it straight out of the box just with paint added.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts