Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do poeple use for filling voids created by bubbles in a resin casting?

I'm currently assembling a few resin conversion kits for the PL Enterprise, and some of the pieces have rather large voids. I normally use red automotive glazing putty for the vast majority of my putty work, but these seem to large for that.

Last night I tried using seme two part epoxy, but it was too flow-y and really didn't do a great job.

I'm sure veryone has their own preferred methods, so I'm interested in hearing a few.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
For large voids in resin I like to use a two part Epoxy putty. There are several brands on the market. I usually use Milliput but any brand should work fine. I believe they can all be thinned with water. This is useful for smoothing the putty out. When dry you can sand it and it takes paint really well. You can also scribe lines in it if needed.

Note: This is not the same as Epoxy glue. Epoxy glue is thinner. This is a 2 part putty. Ususally comes in 2 sticks that you knead together. Once fully blended you use it to fill the void. Once set it is very solid and sticks to the piece very securely.

·
Registered
8,879 Posts
Hey ZY try this!

Got super glue? got Baking soda?

Good! now lets go make model muffins!

lets say you have a hole in your resin..well di what I do!

I first make sure the edges are firm with no loose flashing and tiny bits....then fill half the hole with CA glue and then put a generous pinch of baking soda over the hole...dust it off with a spare tooth brush and do it again till your over the surface....then just sand it even with medium sand paper or what ever you use. This stuff works in less than a second and its a real fast way to fill holes and repair voids or edge details!

I just learned this trick about four projects ago and I'm hooked! I have even done this method to the final polish!

Man...I wish I would have learned this along time ago!

The other method that I have not used yet is to use a CA excellerator instead of the baking soda...probably better .....but that is stuff thats already in the house, apartment (or if you build really expensive RESIN kits) a cardboard box!

Good luck!

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
fluke said:
Hey ZY try this!

Got super glue? got Baking soda?

Good! now lets go make model muffins!

lets say you have a hole in your resin..well di what I do!

I first make sure the edges are firm with no loose flashing and tiny bits....then fill half the hole with CA glue and then put a generous pinch of baking soda over the hole...dust it off with a spare tooth brush and do it again till your over the surface....then just sand it even with medium sand paper or what ever you use. This stuff works in less than a second and its a real fast way to fill holes and repair voids or edge details!

I just learned this trick about four projects ago and I'm hooked! I have even done this method to the final polish!

Man...I wish I would have learned this along time ago!

The other method that I have not used yet is to use a CA excellerator instead of the baking soda...probably better .....but that is stuff thats already in the house, apartment (or if you build really expensive RESIN kits) a cardboard box!

Good luck!
Have used this trick as well and have been very satisfied with the results! rr

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more question....

For the baking soda method, what kind of CA are you using? Thin, thick, quick set, slow set?

Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts