Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
a few more variations :)
ford group 6 with slightly rounded tail and with straight tail

grit spreader with brace that extends to wheel well and brace that stops before wheel well

hot rod draguar, long and short motor mounts

toe joe without and with notch above hooks

cattle truck sf different braces, round and half round

lamborghini marzal hood, curved and straight

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Wow - interesting details. I guess MB changed them as they went along to better the casting structurally, or are these planned variations?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Great Details ,most of which I have never noticed or seen discussed before.
I particularly like the Marzal hood variation.The 5 Marzals that I can find of my 6 are split 3 curve and 2 straight hood
All of these variations exist in equal numbers, because the capacity of the casting machines used by Lesney was for molds with at 2 bodies- so all bodies 1-75 series made in England are born as TWINS, and there are usually minor differences between them.All of the Lesney opening doors and hoods are quads, and can be found with the numbers 1,2,3,4 cast on them -some collectors have for example - a 53 Ford Zodiac with each hood numbered 1,2,3 and 4.
The HTF Cattle Truck casting variation is the first run regular wheels which has no braces at all at the rear, I dont have one,but does Moutain?
I hope Moutain doesnt mind me sharing his Marzal pic with fellow Americans and a few Brits over on mboxcommunity.com -those guys dont know their own collections well enough to notice most of these (cattle truck is only 1 I knew before today)

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Those are very interesting. I'm going to check to see which ones I've got. Thanks for the great photos.

I see that the Cattle Truck on the right has stamped taillights in the metal below the ramp, and the one on the left doesn't. I wonder if the taillights always go with the half-round ramp braces?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
a couple of more very minor varitions :)
ford capri 54 with and without period after No

boss mustang 44 thin and wide fog lamps and if you closely at the center of the griil on the left model. you can see the word ford

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
sms88, do what you want with the pictures. if we can't share information, what fun is it :)
i will have to check the cattle trucks again for the tail lights too

minor variation with the opel diplomat superfast 36. the front tab/license plate, shorter on left and wider on right

the londoner sf 17 has a few nice variations
the destination sign and luggage holder on the rear can be found lower or higher

door handle can be in different locations and door size if different

the lines between the headlights can be lower or higher plus square and rectangle at top can be different sizes

rear window wider and narrower

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Great pix of interesting differences, THANKYOU for sharing.
Here is the real no 17 ´The Londoner` -many of these that didnt get scrapped got scalped for sightseeing tours in USA (Big Apple Tours and Big Bus Tours) and the world
This one is now in a museum

This one is still like this today,a scalped retired tourbus.the lines on the rear engine cover mark out the poster site, nothing to do with carrying anything...

Earlier big brother to no 17 is K15

Here is a real K15, which is the same as the small scale no 17 except for the front panels below the windscreen

Here is a real 5b regular wheels in Matchbox colors outside the hackney factory in 1979

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
really nice pictures :thumbsup: with the history too.
at least some of them survived as tour buses :)
do you know where the real 5b is today
big thanks for the pictures :thumbsup:

i have a few k15's, i'll try and take a few pics :)

·
Registered
1,922 Posts

Here it is in 1990 at a Vintage Vehicle show.It still exists in top condition ,but has been a normal red London bus for about 5 years.The famous Lord Montague of Beaulieu ,who displays the real cars used by Lesney for many Yesteryear castings, has a former Lesney RT 5b bus displayed in full London Transport colors in his huge motor Museum.
I have 30 K15s - there are 5 major casting variations 1.with bell 2.same without bell 3. with rain channel above upper deck windows and re-tooled around rear numberplate 4.Centre doors cast shut and slide fitted in behind staircase panel 5.Berlin bus with US side steering and doors. Interiors are usually yellow but they also exist in red,blue orange and brown -a few have a smaller type of wheel fitted.Many advertising variations, my photo shows the 1st packaging design

1 - 9 of 9 Posts