Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"As many of you know, it has been my honor to be associated with the show for the past seven years and I know all the sponsors feel the same way. It's been both a growth and learning experience and there was never a guarantee each year that a show could/would be put on the following year. Many times the show was actually brought back from the dead without anybody really knowing about it. It became part of the charm and challenge each year and we survived two different owners when you think about it. 2006 was no different in fact after the show I was given strong indications that the format was not expected to move on. After hearing that for so many years perhaps I just wrote it off as another hurdle rather than stop and listen to what I was being told. Anybody who has ever been involved in planning something like this realizes you often work in advance. I actually work on some issues up to a year in advance. Hotel contracts, castings and other ideas often need addressed for next year's show during the time the actual show is going on. If there are issues at a show, we try and make corrections right then and there for the following year since everybody is present and it's the best time to work out issues. We are after all, volunteers so we have to make the most of our time together.

It is time to advise you that the show I have been the promoter ofdoesn't look like a possibility any more. I assure you we as a group have been here before so there is a reason to hold hope that our group of sponsors can formulate a plan B, but a show exactly like the one we have enjoyed for the last 6 years is gone, I'm sorry to say. I can tell you that I do have other coals in the fire as we speak and I am working as hard now for 2007 as I would in any other past year, perhaps even harder. As I get facts together I will always let you know as soon as possible. It's a time to be thankful to JL for 7 years of great fun and I know the sponsors and I will always look positively on the experience. I know you will do the same.

I made my share of mistakes along the way, that is a fact. I apologize for them. I found the only way to handle most of them was to address them head on, come up with solutions and implement them. After 2006 one area in particular I was not thrilled with was the fact that the traditions of having distinctive castings for the contests had ended and the PSR car could not be raced on the gravity track. We had no knowledge of this until the night before the show and obviously it was too late to do anything about it for 2006. We had decided that for 2007 we would handle that part of the show ourselves to insure all that the past traditions were back in force. We would offer a hard wheel PSR car, distinctive contest castings, special 'Fest pad printing, and logical numbering. Like I mentioned earlier in order for me to do this and budget it, I have to take advantage of the solutions when I can. I actually purchased or made arrangements for the 2007 PSR, Charity ET Racing, Rocket 500 and Custom Car Contest castings the weekend of 'Fest 2006. It would be a lot to ask a new entity to absorb these castings and not a very good business move I expect. My need to work ahead seems to have cost the program dearly as I now have castings for a show in an old format. What once looked like the best equity position we wereever in has backfired and I am to blame for that I expect. I was told of this possibility but after 7 previous times of hearing this I thought I could spread a little more magic dust and keep rolling along like always. Not this time. I am told Johnny Lightning has something planned and will announce it in February, but I have not been asked to be a part of the planning team.

With this information, I wanted to break the news and bring up an option to be discussed. If you feel it is OK, I will offer these castings for the 2007 show on HT just to get some of the investment back and get the program back on an equitable situation. I prefer to sell them in sets if possible so everyone who gets a set has matching numbers but at this point I'd consider just about anything. Like past shows, 75 castings were minted of all four programs (PSR, ET, Custom, Rocket 500). Each casting in the past went roughly for 25.00 a car if and when there was any leftovers but in this situation the set of four along with shipping would go for about 29.00. I will hold off on those details until I get a feel from you guys first, the ones who made 'Fest what it is, to decide if this should even be done. Again, I have no one to blame but myself for being in this situation but at the time I thought I was doing what was best for the show. I look forward to hearing your opinions and the sponsors and myself thank you for making the show what it was. A LOT OF FUN.

Mark"

Note: Some of the cars are still being Printed, but you can see the PSR is a Camaro and the ET is a Cobra.

Gerald

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
Mark,
I'm sure I speak for many when I say THANK YOU for all of the time and effort that you (and others) have put in to making "Lightning Fest" what it was. I heard the rumblings of this months ago and have patiently waited for this. It is a sad day that RC2 has given you such a slap in the face. A person who spends time and money to help his fellow collectors and improve a brand for little more than a thank you get treated like this.
I wish the people at RC2 would give their reasoning behind this. I'm saddened, dissapointed and ashamed by RC2's handling of this situation.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Chris

Let's focus on the good. Who else other than Mattel even offered up the opportunity? 1.00 cars that were 1st runs, 1:18th scale stuff for 5.00, slots for 1.00 and then going back to PM days of Super Magmas for pennies on the dollar, Rocket 1000 sets they basically gave away. The frenzy, the excitement!

No, it's a time to say thanks and move on. It was cool and what a ride it was.;)

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
i have to give you all credit. you take a great punch and keep comming back for more.
ding,..... ding,......... round ...rc2

·
Premium Member
5,478 Posts
Thanks for the memories Mark! I have enjoyed the last 3 Fests, and have seen the times change. Let's just have a Fest any way. I'm up for these cars you have, just tell me when, where, how much, and who to send the sheckels to. I'm there. I'm sure everyone here will have no problems getting you out of these castings. Maybe along the way some of the comments and thoughts about our tradition, will spark life back into Fest as WE know it. (After all, it's about the customers,...and WE are the customers)!

I am curious as to what RC2 has planned, and will look at this as positive as I can, until the time comes. Maybe the event will be similar, and they just want to give Mark a "retirement" from all the hard work they (obviously) saw him do for us. For the time being, I'll give RC2 the benefit of the doubt that they have something cool happening for us.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
You don't do a show this long and not pick up importnat names along the way. I'm not dead yet guys.:wave: I have a group of people still putting the hours in.:)

Now's the time to post your fond memories. One of mine is that nut Jeff Penny. When I met him at PM, the person he is during working hours and the guy his is after hours is like night and day. My first impression was that he was kind of a hard- a$$ type. WRONG!!!! This guy is a walking stand up comedian act. I'll never forget the stories and laughter that man would cause in the Hospitality Room after hours. Where Jeff sat was the table to be at. Man he could make you laugh. The late night hours were always a hoot.

On a mini type get together, I'll never forget when I got in a race, pretty sure it was Kevin (Ozmont) and he had some dog slow casting going up against one that had never lost. I told him anything could happen, the lights went green we launched and sure enough just like she was on cue from some TV script my own dog jumps out of the sky and rips my car from sure triumph in one fell swope right before the finish line. Everybody started busting out laughing because you could never script it better.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Mark Hosaflook said:
On a mini type get together, I'll never forget when I got in a race, pretty sure it was Kevin (Ozmont) and he had some dog slow casting going up against one that had never lost. I told him anything could happen, the lights went green we launched and sure enough just like she was on cue from some TV script my own dog jumps out of the sky and rips my car from sure triumph in one fell swope right before the finish line. Everybody started busting out laughing because you could never script it better.
:)

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
So Lightning fest is going from a
not for profit/fund raiser for developmentally challenged people
to a Profit or die CEO's Wet dream.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
No Fest?

Mark, you are right, What a ride it was !!! I have attended and really enjoyed the last 4 Fests. I have a good idea of your efforts in the Fests. No matter what happens from here on out I want to thank you for those efforts. It wont seem right not heading to Fest in sept. or august. And like Paul said, I am sure you will not get hung on those castings. I am always good for 2 to 5 sets. If you check your lists you will see that.
Ha Ha, you are right about Jeff, I sat with him one year at dinner. What a mess, in a good way !!!
I will certainly see what RC2 has planned, but if you still get a get together going, I will make every effort to get there.
Kinda sad right now, but things will work out. Sometimes change or a challenge is good. Hope to hear from you soon. :confused:

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Perhaps I should have charged more to have Jeff at a table. Man what was I thinking?:p

Another great moment was when Bobby was presented with the retro Topper racing helmet....and he wore it proudly. Man was that a sight!

·
Registered
971 Posts
Dang! I just knew I should have gone last year; but money & time did not work out. Geez, I really looked forward to hanging with the Fest gang this year, but....
Mark, although I have never met you personally, I can tell you have put a ton of yourself into Fest. Thank you for all of your past efforts, and let's hope something comes together this year. My sentiments echo Chris's

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
So:

A show might happen while RC2 does something like a warehouse sale, but the two won't be connected other than a point in time coinciding?

or

RC2 decides to do their own version of a Lightning Fest

or

what else?

I will miss it if it's gone, that's for sure.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
TOo bad to hear this, Mark, I had a great time at fest last year and was looking forward to it again this year. We an only hope RC2 does a decent job with it. If the fest 07 cars go up for sale, I'll be up for 1 of each.

Thanks again mark for all that you have done for Fests past!!

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Mark

Most people don't know how much you gave of your self and sacrificed to bring us old kids a great deal of joy once a year. My wife, daughter, and I looked forward every year to Fest. We would set the family vacation up as soon as I heard the date. We have met and made so many great friends because of fest. There was always a great amount fun even if I was getting yelled at for spending too much. I even had fon setting up and taking down everything that was needed for fest. We feel blessed that you were there for all us JL Junkies to give us such a great venue. Don't worry about the 07 fest cars they will sell with no problem. If I have to sell some of my collection it get a set that's what Ill do and I'm sure others will too! I'm am with you what ever your plans are for a new get to get together. The people are what made Fest great; cars or no cars, fest or no fest. Thank you and everyone else involved in all the Past Fest's. for making it such a special part of me and my families lives. We had a ball every year!!!!!

·
Lookout the Mac is Back!!
8,413 Posts
I am sure there will be a location and an event that operates just like we are all used to at some point this year, i don't think we will miss anything except for the big sale.... and you never know what can happen anyway....

Just playing Nostrodamus here, but I think I see Gravity Racing, Grudge ET Racing, Charity Auctions and many other things occurring this year with all your favorite people there.

If you want it, it will be..........

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Mark,

Sorry to hear about this. Even though I was never able to go, I always liked the Fest Castings (even though I did pass on the Mustangs last year, which I shouldn't have). You have nothing to apologize for. After seeing some of the changes that have taken place here lately I had a feeling something like this was going to happen. I would like a set of 4 of the fest items whenever you put them up. I'm sure you'll be able to get back what you put into it.
Thanks for all your efforts.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts