Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
One of my favorite castings. I like the details on the rear with the lights and criss-cross pattern.:thumbsup:
Some minor faults, esp. around the tailpipe and such though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
who is that by?

Unlike Jason I am not impressed with the number of small faults I can see, most of which should not have passed QC if this is meant to sell as a serious collector model.

Cheers
Lee

·
Registered
191 Posts
This casting is a stinker... it's even worse than several 1/64 scale castings of the same car.... in fact, 1/43 scale (5inch-6inch) models should have comparable detail/features as 1/24 scale models.

Again, this should be a $0.99-$2 car - nothing more. And how odd is it that they open the doors - albeit poorly - and don't have an opening engine cowling? Beats me...

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
who is that by?

Unlike Jason I am not impressed with the number of small faults I can see, most of which should not have passed QC if this is meant to sell as a serious collector model.

Cheers
Lee
Detail Cars. I bought it for a couple of bucks at Exoticar's warehouse. Although it was a damaged return it's a cool casting. It's kind of an ironic piece showing the flaws in a beautiful lady like an F40.

Cheers,
John :wave:

This casting is a stinker... it's even worse than several 1/64 scale castings of the same car.... in fact, 1/43 scale (5inch-6inch) models should have comparable detail/features as 1/24 scale models.

Again, this should be a $0.99-$2 car - nothing more. And how odd is it that they open the doors - albeit poorly - and don't have an opening engine cowling? Beats me...
There was no evidence of any disagreeable aroma emanating from the casting when the photograph was executed. How you would even be experiencing an odor via internet transmission is a puzzlement to me. Also if I must take that as a given would it not be reasonable for the larger casting to emit a stronger aroma than the one of smaller size?

Furthermore, it was never my elucidation that I expended in excess of $2.00 for this casting. Those words were yours, Mr. Sheldon. How odd, indeed. It's like having a mouth that is open while concurrently having a mind that is closed, is it not? It escapes me...

Further research might reveal that this casting may perhaps be what is termed a "raced version" hence the miniscule yet obviously noticeable imperfections evident in body and trim. I regale in the collecting of off-beat vehicles, some of which lack in a multitude of fully opening panels which a few collectors find to be a necessity. Likewise a shared photographic image will always represent a glass half-full to some whilst appearing a glass half-empty to others.

Loosen your shorts, Robert, collecting is different strokes for different folks, man. Don't go through life being so negative; have fun with the hobby. Remember the words of that great unknown Roman collector: "Alea iacta est."

Regards,
John

·
Registered
191 Posts
NO excuses for poor castings.. but then again if your price was $2, so be it.

Surely your open minded concerning such criteria, if you're not offended of course.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
is exotic car still around?! any more damaged/returned sales? I got SEVERL of my 1/18 Ferrais there for UNDER $10! Door was off in the box, get home and pop it on. Ferrari was missing awing so you just go snag one off of one missing the wheels.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I love those detailed, sharp pictures of a great car from the 1990s.

I think we have 2 issues here. The pictures are too good for the quality of the model. It is not so much the casting itself, as the decal placement and the sloppy plastic bits. If I had photographed it, no one would have noticed because of mmy poor camera work! :)

Seriously, we have to remember this is not a resin handbuilt or an expensive model even. Detail Cars came out in the late 90s and slotted in at the US$20-25 level. I think they were very good for that time and price.

The Alfa on the far left is a Detail Cars - the others are a resin handbuilt, a white metal handbuilt, and a diecast.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NO excuses for poor castings.. but then again if your price was $2, so be it.

Surely your open minded concerning such criteria, if you're not offended of course.
Not offended in the least - just having fun...

Our viewpoints differ, thats all. As an engineer, you view cars as a machine. The artist in me appreciates the form. We both agree that proportion in a casting is very important, yes?

I looked at this F40 as bang for the buck... literally! :wave:

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
is exotic car still around?! any more damaged/returned sales? I got SEVERL of my 1/18 Ferrais there for UNDER $10! Door was off in the box, get home and pop it on. Ferrari was missing awing so you just go snag one off of one missing the wheels.
Hi black sunshine :wave:
I bought this piece around 10 or 12 years ago right off their loading dock when they were in Framingham. They would have some great bargains and I always walked away with some models in pieces that I would reconstruct. Then there were overstocks of pristine Minichamps and Vitesse models for $3.00-$5.00 that I purchased. Exoticar moved from there to Avon and then to the Weymouth area about two years ago. It looks like they flamed out though. I googled them and they are now Hollywood Models.com with what seemed to be a half-dead website: http://www.exoticar.com/pages/about.cfm

I was just reading about the Toy Show in Dedham on Sunday - Exoticar is listed as a seller.

-John

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love those detailed, sharp pictures of a great car from the 1990s.

I think we have 2 issues here. The pictures are too good for the quality of the model. It is not so much the casting itself, as the decal placement and the sloppy plastic bits. If I had photographed it, no one would have noticed because of mmy poor camera work! :)

Seriously, we have to remember this is not a resin handbuilt or an expensive model even. Detail Cars came out in the late 90s and slotted in at the US$20-25 level. I think they were very good for that time and price.

The Alfa on the far left is a Detail Cars - the others are a resin handbuilt, a white metal handbuilt, and a diecast.
Hi karl s :wave:

I love your grouping of Alfas. i always think of red Alfas and the light blue color of yours is striking on each of the models

I could have photographed the car differently to hide the blems, but I'm a realist at heart! The close-ups made the car look road weary. It would be akin to photographing Angelina Jolie and then seeing the wart on her lips in the close-ups. It has proven to be an interesting exercise, though!

Thank you for the complement regarding the camera work although I find no fault with any of your pictures - they always enhance the cars in the pictures.

-John

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
As an appreciator of all things Ferrari, I like this one, flaws and all. If you like it, that's all that matters. The 1/43 crowd can be sticklers for detail and execution. Please don't be offended by any criticism. It's a critique of the model, not the owner. Have fun.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Our viewpoints differ, thats all. As an engineer, you view cars as a machine. The artist in me appreciates the form.
hmm... typecasting people and profiles are we? Non technical people do NOT have a monopoly on art appreciation! The reason I am into this hobby is appreciation to form.... AND function.

We both agree that proportion in a casting is very important, yes?
Absolutely! However, I am also open to "interpretation", as it relates to improving the look of the car given the scale and materials with which they are made.

For example, 64th scale castings tend to oversize the wheels... which is great as long as it's NOT overdone like JL or GL (these guys are finally going in the right direction, but boy did it take them such a long time - this ain't rocket science!).

But in 43rd scale there is obviously room for interpretation, but I think less so given the significant size advantage.

I looked at this F40 as bang for the buck... literally! :wave:
No problem here, but don't we already have to many cheepies?

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
TRON, handbult resin from Italy. The plate says 1961. Had to get out the magnifier to check!
THANK YOU! I have that exact same car done as a 1/43 diecast by Detail Cars, but the box is labeled "1959 Monte Carlo," so I never bothered to check the rally plate on the car. Just went and looked at it and sure enough, it says "1961." I'll correct my records.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hmm... typecasting people and profiles are we? Non technical people do NOT have a monopoly on art appreciation! The reason I am into this hobby is appreciation to form.... AND function.
Absolutely not. I can only speak for me, but I was not typecasting. I merely made statements. In the past you have stated the following:
From an engineering standpoint (yes, this is my profession), the cost difference to produce a medium detailed curbside ($2-$4/each) to a so called "high end" curbside ($10-$20/each) is NOT proportional to the extra retail cost.

By the way, cars ARE "machines".. the root word stands for "moving" or something that moves or with moving parts...

On of these days, I will take some pictures of my collection and post some pix... just been lazy.:-(
To reiterate what I said: "Our viewpoints differ, thats all. As an engineer, you view cars as a machine. The artist in me appreciates the form." This is a simple restatement of facts i.e. what you had stated about yourself and what I stated about myself, that I take an artistic view of the hobby.

I did not in any way infer that you do not have an artistic knowledge of things, nor did I infer that as a non-engineer I do not have a technical knowledge of things.

Absolutely! However, I am also open to "interpretation", as it relates to improving the look of the car given the scale and materials with which they are made.

For example, 64th scale castings tend to oversize the wheels... which is great as long as it's NOT overdone like JL or GL (these guys are finally going in the right direction, but boy did it take them such a long time - this ain't rocket science!).

But in 43rd scale there is obviously room for interpretation, but I think less so given the significant size advantage.
I think we definitely concur.

No problem here, but don't we already have to many cheepies?
My quip about bang for the buck was in reference to the fact that the car was "banged up" when I purchased it. It was back-shelved as a project to customize or rebuild but I've never made the time to do this. It was, I believe on the order of a $20-or-so retail, but I paid $2 for it because of condition (I would never have paid $20). My photos showed the car as it sat; I could easily have photographed the car to hide its blemishes. But, as they say, it is what it is.

There were several criticisms about the model and I just responded to each in kind. Yours simply struck me as negative to the extreme. I cast no aspersions and will say once again that I very much respect your opinion. My criticism of your comments was to "lighten up". We all do this as a hobby. Were it my profession I would unhesitatingly call upon you for technical expertise to produce a casting with all the proper proportions and details that every collector would relish.

BTW, I would enjoy seeing some pictures of cars in your collection.

Regards,
John :wave:

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As an appreciator of all things Ferrari, I like this one, flaws and all. If you like it, that's all that matters. The 1/43 crowd can be sticklers for detail and execution. Please don't be offended by any criticism. It's a critique of the model, not the owner. Have fun.
I realize that, dh00. Thank you for the comment:thumbsup:.

I knew when I shot the pictures that I was showing the car as it sat with no excuses. I think that you have seen enough of my threads and photos to see that I like to have fun. After 30 years in the retail car business if I'm not thick-skinned by now I'd better hang it up!:rolleyes:

Again thanks for the comments...

Regards,
John

1 - 20 of 20 Posts