Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well most of you familiar with my stuff probably figured it wouldn't be long before I started hacking on HW's new offering of the 250LM. Its really a pretty nice casting......Save the HWs built-in flaw of those staggered wheels sizes. What up with that? Any real good reason they feel compelled to do that? It'd be a lot easier for a customizer to open them than close them. Anyway I cut the rear deck off one today and found some wheels and engine that will work reasonably well. Fits back together well. Now I just have to figure out how to hinge the rear deck from the top.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I have been wishing for the Hall of Fame series to come back, so this one could get the upgrade treatment, will have to live vicariously through your artwork(again). This is gonna be goooood!

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Here's a couple shots of the 250 LM with the head lamp work done. I was very, very, careful and very, very lucky that I didn't cut outside the lines when grinding out the lamp buckets. Kept it from a repaint. After grinding out the buckets they were epoxied over for lens covers. The tail lamps were scraped then a touch of ruby red paint added leaving a small chrome ring. I've got to get some doll house door hinges so I can hinge the deck properly. Then I get smoe shots with the deck open. The wheels came off a Chaparral 2D. Still staggared.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Epoxy. It doesn't shrink like glue when it dries and sets.

Got my hinges today. Didn't get back from the "Volunteer Jam" till late today. Hopefully I'll get them installed tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's the final stages of the 250LM opener project. The hinge worked well. Ended up have to J&B it. The trick........There's always a trick.........Is keeping the glue or J&B off the working parts. If you can't do that then the working parts need to be kept flexable until the bonding sets up.

The roundels on both sides got a bit worn in the opening process..... :confused: .........Usually its all you can do with fingernail polish remover to get these things off. It does make it look a bit more race worthy.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
About decided to make the '63 LeMans winning 250P next. It was driven by Bandini / Scarfiotti and was numbered........21. Another possibility out of the LM maybe a '61 Ferrari TR. That was the one with the split mouthed opening.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts