Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was walking through a Wal Mart the other day, heading for the sneakers, when something hanging on an end-cap caught the corner of my eye. It wasn’t you may be thinking, but for a split second I had “that old feeling” again. I used to love walking through a WM and finding a clip-strip hanging somewhere completely away from the toy aisle where the chances were good that other collectors may not have found. Got me a bunch of White Lightning’s that way. You remember White Lightning’s, don't you?

Tom Z., don’t take this as a “bash” please, but I miss being able to walk into a Wal Mart – any Wal Mart – and finding the latest Johnny Lightnings right there on the pegs or on “clip strips”, and being able to pluck a WL off them from time to time. Cars with metal bases, in some very cool series, and not just the same castings repainted release after release with plastic bases. Little did we know then that those were the “Golden Days” of JL collecting. Today, only one Wal Mart out of the dozen or so within easy driving distance of me carries JLs.

One.

I know that you can’t control what a giant like Wally’s buys and what they do with it, but one has to believe that a competent sales staff can meet with the buyers at WM and do a better job on selling the line to them. Of course, limiting your line to the repetitive “40th Ann.” Or “Forever 64” concept doesn’t help, nor does eliminating the metal bases that so many of your customers love.

I just miss the “good ol’ days”, and that split second when I was reminded of the “clip strips” reminded me of how much fun it used to be to go hunting for Johnnie’s.

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
I did very well, with the amazing Spiderman clip strips in WalMart! I forgot how many years ago it was, but I do know I managed to find many WL's, even though it was a clear window, white interior WL. I wish they could market something a little more unique again, to promote a once popular diecast line!

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
For me the "hayday" of the clip strip was 04 when the 10th anniversary came out. Those where like finding white lightnings when they were hitting month after month. I believe that was the same year of the Spiderman strips Al rememebers. Oh the times Mary and I had finding six or more clip strips in one wally and walking away with a couple of whites. Hech I did a "dash" in one wally to get a 10th anniversary Mach5!!

Indeed 04 was the end of an era. Of course it figures that was my first full year of collecting:rolleyes: Oh well it was still a fun time:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,677 Posts
You know this forum is full of posts that are about remebering the old days. Maybe jl will get the hint.

Possible a wl trait someday will be a metal base....

Not knocking the plastic bases but just sayin

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
For me I believe that a car should have a metal chasis, metal body and should roll.
Just my criteria.
I do not really care for these new plastic cars. It reminds me of "Tomy" when I went shopping way back in the late 70's early 80's. HW and MB both had metal basis. Then HW started moving towards plastic and fantasy and MB moved towards animal and whistle/badges cars. I thought that real cars were a thing of the past.
Then in 94-96 I stumbled accross JL. Metal Bases, metal cars and I thought I was in heaven.
Now I feel as though RC2/LC have abandoned the line or diluted it or probably killed it so that they can promote Ertl and John Dear with Metal Bodies and Chasis instead. Even if they promised that they would not kill the JL Line.
This Packard Carribean was a real piece of work. I was unbelievably impressed. Plastic body, Plastic base and the car wont roll more than an inch or 2.
Makes me wonder?
Richard

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
I remember the clip -strips with lots of J/L,S hanging! Those were the good old days!!!!
Now J/L'S are not seen hanging anywhere ! And i hear wally bumped up the $ to 3.00!!
not a big fan as I used to be! Plastic bases at $3.00 a piece ,not worth it to me!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I remember the clip -strips with lots of J/L,S hanging! Those were the good old days!!!!
Now J/L'S are not seen hanging anywhere ! And i hear wally bumped up the $ to 3.00!!
not a big fan as I used to be! Plastic bases at $3.00 a piece ,not worth it to me!
Especially when Hw can put out a metal based car lacking the most basic detailing (ie; headlights/taillights) and charge $3.97 ea.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
"Feeling nostalgic; does anyone remember “Clip Strips”?"

Nope. I honestly don't. Probably before I started collecting JLs. (which I remember you could readily find on the pegs:confused:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts