Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Elder Statesman
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fathom Events with TCM Big Screen Classics will screen King Kong in selected theaters on March 15th. This is a must see on the big screen, one of the theaters near me, is almost sold out, I got my seat weeks ago. I saw Kong in a theater the first time in 1971, the restored version and again in 1983, for the 50th anniversary.

The film lends well on the big screen, it has what Ray Harryhausen called, a "dream-like quality", something that was missing from the remakes, spin-offs, and reboots, almost like a fairy tale complete with a proverb.

My concern will be parents who will take their children to it, that may be board, and will play with their phones, and ruin it for the rest of us. I could be wrong, I saw the double bill of Frankenstein and Bride of..., the theater was filled with young people, as was Planet of the Apes (1968), years later, a good sign.

The film is my all time favorite, I saw it when I five years old on television, and I was terrified to ride the El train into downtown, this was the first time I felt the visceral effects of motion pictures and cemented my life long love of them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. It's going to be showing at three theaters relatively near me, so I may go this Sunday. I've always considered the original Kong my fav movie ever, but have never seen it on a big movie screen.

·
Elder Statesman
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You won't regret it, and it's only playing this Sunday. I am looking forward to hearing the Max Steiner score on the sound system.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I was able to check it out at the local CineMark 16 theater here in Gulfport, MS. I really enjoyed it a lot! It was the first time I'd seen it at a theater. Seeing Fay Wray and King Kong life size was a great treat! I was just as impressed as I was when I watched the double bill of Frankenstein/The Bride of Frankenstein. The creation scenes in those wear amazing highlights to behold on the big screen. I too liked the "dream-like quality" during many of the scenes on the island and the ship. They definitely didn't spare any expense when it came to the fog machines. I wonder what other classic movies in the terror/horror/sci-fi genres will be scheduled next!

·
Elder Statesman
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A great reprertory cinema is worth it's weight in gold, one of the best is the Film Forum in New York City, I live about an hour and a half away, so it's easy to get there. A while ago, they had a James Whale retrospect, I saw a great many of his films there, and I also saw there, Creature from the Black Lagoon in 3-D. They used to have every year, a sci-fi, horror, fest every summer..
Fathom and TCM and few years ago, showed both versions of the 1931 Dracula, so anything can happen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts