Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's 5-6 inches on the ground in the Texas panhandle, and my house is a pig sty, but then again I would not have had this revelation: What do these cars have in common:

A) Yellow
B) Racecars
C) Hot Wheels
D) Funky arse ends
E) They are threatened with a saw blade
F) All of the above, and more

Give me a couple of hours... I've been inspired!

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Great! I've always liked that casting but never picked one up. I'm anxious to see what you do w/ it. :hat:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I saw:

the base of the windshields had the same curvature & width; and the rear window shape mirrored the the Felion's rear curve! I thought it a drop-in, but I ended up taking 3mm out of the T-tirds roof:

Now into the Simple Green to strip before epoxying the pieces together! I'll use the Tbird interior as well, it's got roll cage and single seat like any proper racer would!

I thought the Fast F was too flat in the rear, and I had thought of using a E-Jag, or Lister. I've also wanted to make an Apollo GT (I had a basket case of one years ago). This will be something in-between.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
That's nice.

I've yet to cut into a body to do a mod like that. I did buy a mini hacksaw and have some Bondo, JB Weld, and a little clamp ready for when I do. :p

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
Great looking car. Looking forward to seeing it finished. I want to see that Apollo when you build it too.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Kinda reminds me of the Cheetah! One of my favorites and I have only seen one real one.

Saw the pic first and thought "DANG! Looks like a Chee...Oh.

I used to have a 1/24 vacuform Cheeta slot car body. This was before Hot Wheels. Used a Manta Ray Chassis and Classic Motor, I believe. But yeah got some Cheeta lines. Bit of Daytona Cobra in the profile.

What I don't comprehend is how you originally saw the combination from the two seperate bodies. :thumbsup: Thats called vision.

How's the front window fitting up?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On reflection I should have left the T-Birb roof intact, the nose is so dang long in relation, but the roof section has epoxy setting-up as I write this. I should set the roof section on tomorrow. The T-Bird must have sat outside in a kids sand box for a season or two, the windows are yellowed and crazed. I have them in some Clorox to see if that'll bleach out some of the color before I buff the surface. On a whim, I sat the Felion body on the T-Bird chassis and it looks pretty classic with the side pipes sticking out. the wheel bases are the same as well, but the front post is about 1/2 a diameter off. It's evolving.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Don't know how much my opinion would count on this matter. My preference to a longer nosed design being what it is. But I really don't think the nose will be too long once the windshiled is added. That shouldn't be too hard to come up with a good windshield if you can't fix that one. I think your on to something with this myself. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
That Cheetah! looks a lot like the Cat-A-Pult I bought today... :p
Ahhh...No. The Cat.A.Pult looks like a Cheetah. :p Not a chicken or egg statement. The Cheetah came first. There was a roadster as well as a coupe. At least I've seen both variants in photos. The roadster may have been modified.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
I think I'm going to replace the windshield with one with more curvature at the base...
QUOTE]

Matching windows can be a pain. I think its lookin' good. I like the retention of the rear window bracing. Shows racing heritage. Are the wheels staggerd in size?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, they're staggered. I'm flipping through a bunch of beaters to see what else may complement this. I'm waiting on some supplies to get back to my Fast Movin' project, so this is a distraction to keep my hands busy until then.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I took a look at the Thunderbird Stocker base and figured it's side pipes were as good as anything else, plus the base would have the racer look, so I took out the front post of the felion, and shaped the front of the T-bird base and here's where a "what-if" time waster has gotten me...

I'm TRYING to give the felion some depth of character, but I'm whittling away to little or nothing left of it!

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
MAN! I think its looking better and better. Sometimes it feels like your beating a dead horse when you get to cutting on these things. What starts out looking like an easy task sometimes becomes the hardest. Remember, it doesn't have to look like what it started out as. In fact I think its better when it doesn't. To me this is only half the battle. Figuring out a color scheme seems to be as hard as hacking one up and putting it back together. Hang in there. It gonna look goooood.:thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts