Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Very nice and impressive. But, this build falls into the catagory of being over done. I mean it's great that he took the time to light the windows, but to light every single window? That's a bit much for my taste. It takes away from the realistic look it would have had with some that were still dark. Just my opinion, but still nice work, thanks for linking to it.

·
Curmudgeon
6,619 Posts
Very nice and impressive. But, this build falls into the catagory of being over done. I mean it's great that he took the time to light the windows, but to light every single window? That's a bit much for my taste. It takes away from the realistic look it would have had with some that were still dark. Just my opinion, but still nice work, thanks for linking to it.
I agree. Also, the lights he used are too bright for the scale. Aside from that, it's a clean and well-detailed build.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I second that. As impressive as this build is, it looks wrong because the view ports are all lit. The D NEVER had all her view ports lit up at the same time. It's part of what she is. This build lacks that which is a shame since the paint job is spot on for the GEN version of the D.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I am also surprised the builder did not fix the inaccurate neck/impulse engine as well, but stuck with the stock kit.

The build is nice and clean thats for sure.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I agree. Also, the lights he used are too bright for the scale. Aside from that, it's a clean and well-detailed build.
The brightness of the lights really have nothing to do with it.

Its the relation of the lights inside the model to the lights used to light the model.

Sure the windows seem bright, but thats only because they didn't get the light levels outside the ship closer.

Basic photography.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The brightness of the lights really have nothing to do with it.

Its the relation of the lights inside the model to the lights used to light the model.

Sure the windows seem bright, but thats only because they didn't get the light levels outside the ship closer.

Basic photography.
I think you're right on that, although he did light TOO MANY of the windows at once.

·
Banned
3,969 Posts
Things to remember when I manage to do my version.

I'm thinking of taking the light kit from that Fiber Optics E-D from '95 and the clear R2 one, with some careful painting and masking.

Obviously, I'll be foregoing at least most of the fiber optics.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Things to remember when I manage to do my version.

I'm thinking of taking the light kit from that Fiber Optics E-D from '95 and the clear R2 one, with some careful painting and masking.

Obviously, I'll be foregoing at least most of the fiber optics.
Forget that crappy light kit. Unless you want to use the little light bulbs. That light kit was junk!

·
Banned
3,969 Posts
The main thing I'm needing is the rig for the engines. I'll figure out something for the rest, but it's a decent head start.

And it's always good to have an extra Galaxy class ship around.

·
Banned
3,969 Posts
It's also part of my quest to replace the models I lost in the eviction purge, and that was one of the kits I lost.

The clear version just makes the whole thing a tad more practical overall (certainly better than trying to use that stupid drill, which was a major reason why the kit sat unbuilt for such a long time).

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
Critique as you wish, but it's WAAAAY better that I would've managed.

Not really a fan of the "D," but it looks pretty damned good to me.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Too many windows, yes, but it is a beautiful build.... I know I'd be darn pround of it, had I done it! :)
I remember when I built my first 1701-D back in the late 80s, I watched taped episodes to determine which windows were lit and which ones were dark. I didn't configure it for lighting, but it sure was time consuming painting/inking out all of those bloody windows...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I remember doing the very same thing.

I used a fine-tipped marker/pen as the very last painting step and then gave it a fine mist of dullcoat to remove the ink's sheen and blend everything in.

·
Banned
3,969 Posts
For every Galaxy/Nebula class I've built, I used a toothpick to do the windows (toothpicks are wonderful tools for itty bitty details; can't get a finer point paintbrush anywhere). No need for masking at all. Just a steady hand, a lot of time, and plenty of patience.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts