Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You must have a friend that is handy with a table saw. ;)

Something to do during all those college football games.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

Details of the sides and bottom. Just some regular shelve support brackets and aluminum tracks with some soap to make the plain glass doors slide back and forth. No fancy rollers or casters. Just a box with glass fronts.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Nice stuff! I've been experimenting with different display methods for about 10 years ... I used to buy Timex watch-display cases for about $50 out of the back of the local news shop/junk store, the tall ones would hold 2 cars per shelf, about 250 pieces. Then I went the mirror-and-plexi route and have stayed here since. I've invested way too much $$ in Giovanni cases (probably need six more to allow everything to breathe and not be double-stacked), and I find that I move around too much, to have something as permanent-looking as what you have, Tom. (I can also keep the cars in the cases as I move about the country.)

I've figured out a way to mount 12 of the 108-car Giovanni cases at a time on casters so that they're movable (and also easily disassembled), rather than taking up wall space I probably won't have when I finally buy a pillbox-sized chateau here in LA. I'm closing in fast on 8000 pieces, 99 percent of them loose, so I gotta figure out SOMETHING!

If anyone has a more space-efficient solution to my display issue that doesn't involve packing the cars away in Rubbermaid tubs or selling them on the Bay, I'd love to hear it!

jk

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
very nice
gonna have to bust out my table saw.

I just visited an Eckerds closeout, shelf and display "sale."
1500-5000+$$ for simple shelves and units caused me to leave,holding my gut and laughing hysterically aloud.... :jest:

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Jeff Koch said:
Nice stuff! I've been experimenting with different display methods for about 10 years ... I used to buy Timex watch-display cases for about $50 out of the back of the local news shop/junk store, the tall ones would hold 2 cars per shelf, about 250 pieces. Then I went the mirror-and-plexi route and have stayed here since. I've invested way too much $$ in Giovanni cases (probably need six more to allow everything to breathe and not be double-stacked), and I find that I move around too much, to have something as permanent-looking as what you have, Tom. (I can also keep the cars in the cases as I move about the country.)

I've figured out a way to mount 12 of the 108-car Giovanni cases at a time on casters so that they're movable (and also easily disassembled), rather than taking up wall space I probably won't have when I finally buy a pillbox-sized chateau here in LA. I'm closing in fast on 8000 pieces, 99 percent of them loose, so I gotta figure out SOMETHING!

If anyone has a more space-efficient solution to my display issue that doesn't involve packing the cars away in Rubbermaid tubs or selling them on the Bay, I'd love to hear it!

jk
I don't know if this will work for you but I bought 2 drawer storage.
The drawers are clear plexi and show the cars really well. They are stackable and come with casters. I bought them at Lowes for like $10-$15. I can put about 20 cars per drawer and then you can put those plastic storage 12 packs in the drawer also and you can store some more. I will have to get a picture for you so you can see.
Its a portable idea. Most of my collection is in boxes (Tote Boxes from U Haul).
Richard

·
Registered
422 Posts
I had too many loose AFX cars on the entertainment center so my Wife "Made me"
order a 108 car Giovani car case the other day to display them better....Damn the Wife!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts