Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, silly question for most of you I'm sure but what exactly does "Factory Sealed Set" mean?

I have a bunch of motorcycles from 2011, the Fright Bikes, Ducati and 450F, all have the "2011 Factory Sealed" silver sticker on the card, so can you tell me what I have exactly??

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
146 Posts
it means they came from the factory set Mattel releases yearly

it has EVERY mainline release from the entire year all colors releases etc

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that info!!

So does that tend to make them more collectible or potentially anymore valuable?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Thanks for that info!!

So does that tend to make them more collectible or potentially anymore valuable?

It actually makes it LESS valuable. It has a goofy silver sticker on it. That means if someone is looking to piece together a set or series that your cards won't match theirs due to the sticker.
Back in 2005 I bought a 67 GTO treasure hunt that had the silver factory sealed sticker on it. I had trouble getting rid of it because no one wanted the card with the sticker on it for their set. If the rest of your set came from retail then they won't have the sticker on it. At the time that GTO was selling for $30, I got it for $15 and figured I'd make a little money on it. I ended up breaking even after a couple of months of trying to trade or sell it.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
It actually makes it LESS valuable. It has a goofy silver sticker on it. That means if someone is looking to piece together a set or series that your cards won't match theirs due to the sticker.
Back in 2005 I bought a 67 GTO treasure hunt that had the silver factory sealed sticker on it. I had trouble getting rid of it because no one wanted the card with the sticker on it for their set. If the rest of your set came from retail then they won't have the sticker on it. At the time that GTO was selling for $30, I got it for $15 and figured I'd make a little money on it. I ended up breaking even after a couple of months of trying to trade or sell it.
OTOH, might be a way to get some for a bargain if you don't care what's on the card!

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Some cards sometimes are found at retail straight out of a case.
They were found before the year end set was released. it has happened before.
Personally I don't think the sticker increases or devalues the casting. No different than finding a carded car with a K-Mart price tag on it.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Every car I've ever picked up with the factory sealed sticker on it has just been a $1 car. I'd think it would hold it's own in the secondary market because it's a Mattel factory placed sticker v. a Tuesday Morning or vendor mall sticker price sticker.

BUT having never found a TH with a sticker on it...I don't have the personal experience of trying to buy or sell one. As a buyer I "might" try to use it as leverage to get a lower price...but truthfully it wouldn't really matter to me.

OTOH, might be a way to get some for a bargain if you don't care what's on the card!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Some guy on eBay right now is selling a Hot Wheels Squarebody truck for $30 with a Factory Sealed sticker, claiming that the sticker signifies that there were only 500 of that truck made
CCC66762-8D34-4C93-BED7-1F162161C691.jpeg

·
Registered
661 Posts
I had a couple of factory label cards like that in my custom '62 chevy truck collection. I decided I didn't like them because they didn't match the rest of the collection and sold them and bought non-sticker replacements. I think I actually got more for the stickered ones than I paid for the non-sticker ones.

·
Administrator
27,259 Posts
The Factory sets are a limited production run and the hologram stickers are supposed to be an unavailable public option. Where did you get the sheet you have @5thGenCamaro? I have seen them with no printing on them on line and at stores before though but they have a different pattern than the official ones mattel uses.

I also think the current market value for that particular casting at $30 with the sticker reflects the common price point at double what the regular non stickered still carded casting would go for.

I know a lot of other cardboard collectors who get them for the individual castings they collect. I pick up all the Corvettes I can find for myself and to trade with other Corvette casting collectors. The sets are usually snapped up within a few hours of when they become available.

·
BANNED
8,005 Posts
interesting, I ship various items of many descriptions, sizes and weights ......

I simply box efficiently, weigh the package and enter the results of weight, box size and destination in a formula (usually USPS) to come to a conclusion.
I use eBay to ship sales there unless huge or very heavy.
I also use PayPal ship now to ship via USPS and get a discount along with being able to print a label and pay directly for the shipping service.
occasionally I find myself using FedEx and UPS because their rates for a specific package are better.

your mileage may vary

1 - 20 of 20 Posts