Hobbyist Forums banner

141 - 144 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Wow!

Amazing that he survived, let alone with just some burns on his hands.
Well done to all involved, from car design, to suit, to training, to rescue crew!

The Halo worked and did not hamper his escape much at all, and considering that without it he would probably be dead, it proved it's worth.

One small criticism, why no SAFER barrier? A car impacting a metal barrier is a safety problem.

But in the end it's a good outcome, thats what matters.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
At first they were saying he had, maybe, a couple of broken ribs with burns on hands and feet. His bedside interview made no mention of rib injury. This may have been the momentous, fiery, end to Grosjean's F-1 carrier. I don't see him driving next week. I don't see him back in an F-1 this season, not because he wouldn't. I found an irony in who Grosjean cut off yesterday. IMO. Both drive without spacial awareness..

In Grosjean's defense there was some debris, I think he hit it. That could have set things up.? But it looked to me like he had intent on going right at about the same time. the debris appeared into his vision. (Let me say here. the in-car camera needs a drivers helmet option. ) That millisecond was the point of no return in his mind and action. Even though he'd adjusted and had just cleared Kvyat ... In his mind.

BUT my opinion is based on what I saw ESPN show.. By what I watched between Kvyat and Stroll. It was more of a racing incident. I thought Kvyat might have got the short end of the stick on that. I haven't re-watched that wreck. Thanks to the red flag time I got to watch the 4:00 show in its entirety.. Complete with commercials. I HATE that woman that comes on and says "F-1 will be back...." Most of the time they don't... She had me on pins and needles the whole time.... ANY WAY.... My wife was getting tired of F-1 Racing.after 4+ hours and supper getting cold. So I might revise my opinion on Kvyat's contact.when I see it again. Still haven't seen what ESPN won't show of Grosjean's wreck.

But this maybe my favorite racing image of all time. It's definitely my favorite image this year. It says so much on the surface. But it also depicts the theme of 2020.

Update. Bad call for Kvyat imo. .Even the announcer assumed it to be a racing incident.

·
Administrator
30,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
The points I remember them bringing up was that this area of the track was well beyond the turn. Essentially on a straight portion of the raceway. And is an opening for the safety crews to access the track. Luckily the safety crew were well back of the access road area and behind the concrete barriers further in the back ground. And no heavy equipment was parked there on the road.

Normally a car will hit the fence a glancing blow under those circumstances and slid down it or take out the support poles and barrier laterily and not head on. Roman had already turned across the track and after hitting Daniel keep traveling directly towards the catch fence instead of along side it as the track does. I did note that the fence curves back toward the track quite a bit there as well.

It will be interesting on how they redesign that entire area. Probably not something that will happen in the next 5 days.

·
Administrator
30,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #144 (Edited)
Here is Peter Windsors first posted reaction to the shunt from yesterday. He actually starts over early on into the video and adds to his thoughts as he does so. I dont think though that a safer barrier is deep enough to work properly at the angle of impact from yesterday and there is not enough room at that part of the track to build a tire barrier instead of a guardrail but that may be the best solution to replace that part of the catch fence in that track location. The trade off will be the time to rebuild it if another crash occures but probably not much more or the same time as yesterdays repairs took.

141 - 144 of 144 Posts