Hobbyist Forums banner

101 - 120 of 132 Posts

·
Administrator
29,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #101 (Edited)
I noticed that F1 is scheduled in my DVR menu to start Friday morning. I had thought it was 2 weeks to the next race but Monza is this week with Toscania the week after. Dont want to miss Monza! 🤙

·
Administrator
29,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
This weekend is the Williams family last race - end of an era in F1 with the last family owned team. The Williams name is supposed to continue on though.

Speaking of names Renault is talking about bring the Alpine name to F1 at some time in the future.

The Party mode will be gone in FP3 and qualification today. The gaps are already down between teams and drivers in FP1 and FP2 yesterday and they have gotten serious about the white lines and track limits this weekend. Many laps were deleted - including a cool down lap!

·
Administrator
29,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
More lap deletions and 8 drivers called before the stewards to explain their slow lap speeds in FP3.

Mercedes still topped Q3 but Red Bull isnt on the 2nd row tomorrow. I guess we will have to see who actually finishes the race to see where they decided to set their engine mapping - McLaren and Racing Point in particular.

Still have to go with Hamilton 1s, Bottas 2nd and Verstappen in 3rd. Though I do hope Bottas is able to manage a win.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
I put the mojo on Hamilton. I wished he'd get a penalty or break. Leclerc made that a reality. That was a hard impact. 30 years ago he'd of been hauled away in an ambulance. Glad he was OK. I was pulling for McLaren but just as happy to see Gasley in the P1 spot.

Explain to me the feasibility of a reverse order start ? Why would anyone want to "go fast" on "Go Fast Day."

·
Administrator
29,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
So Perez is out at Racing Point next year. Well so is Racing Point since they will be Aston Martin by then with Seb driving as a team mate to the owners son? To be fair Dad bought the team so his son could race in F1. Maybe Seb is just to serve as a teacher/mentor to Lance (and the team).

Charles has seemingly found a new car in the burguandy shade of red Ferrari during FP1 today! Vettel still near the bottom.

Mogatto will be interesting. Track limits are set by all the gravel traps - showing the drivers are capable of staying away from the edges when required. And passing is limited to turn 1 unless mistakes are made. Mercedes reprogrammed their strategy software to notice when the pits are closed now - as did a few other teams!

Haas is on both 3rd engines for the year with 10 races to go - ruh ro! Will they notice Perez is available this time?

Louisa is also having PU (engine) issues but Valterri has more pressure form Gasley, Norris, Sainz aleady let alone Max. But he won FP1 again!

·
Administrator
29,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Bottas wins FP2! And Vettel is parked on the side of the track with a dead Friday engine....

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Like the "blood red" Ferrari's... Reckon they're starting to believe in "mojo" at Ferrari ????.

Not a big fan of Perez either. I think he's careless. And he strikes me as an "I" in "Team" kind of guy. But I think he's aggressive enough to see if it's the car or the drivers that aren't performing. So Yea ! give him a ride.for a season if I couldn't get my preference.

I heard about the engine penalty that's looming.at HAAS. They do have access to more than 3 engines ? They get a grid penalty ? Starting position hasn't played much of a factor in HAAS finishes.

A lot of flat out track. By the looks of P1 and P2. Things are back to normal.

·
Administrator
29,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Yes, they can use basically an unlimited supply (?) of engines but after 3 a 5 place grid penality is issued for the different parts of the PU (engine) replaced. I have seen grid penalites for more places on the grid than their are cars - especially if the trans- axle/missions are effected. And I think they can use one cars engines on another if needed.

·
Administrator
29,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Bottas won FP3 but got edged out by Hamilton for the pole! So unless Hamilton DNFs or crashes out looks like 2nd for Bottas again.

In regards to Strohl, even though his Dad owns the team he is 4th in the standing and was in 4th in all the FP sessions this weekend, so I have to give him kudos for those accomplishments..

Also Seb said Aston Martin will be green next year. The talking heads also noticed that Lance took Toto and his PA for a scooter ride between FP1 and FP2 yesterday....

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Interesting race once I got to see it. Good ol ESPN..... I guess I'll never learn. Got up Sunday to watch. P3 had recorded. Then I looked at the clock and realized they'd moved the race to another ESPN. (WHY DO THEY DO THIS ?????) By the time I got things changed over the red flag was out. Even though I'd added the extension; when the second red flag came out it evidently timed out the extension.....On the next to the last lap, the race kicked off. Soit was 5:30 PM before I found out what happened. As the end of the race approached so did the broadcast of the "Corn Hole Championship." (there's an irony there.) ESPN had better be glad they showed the end of the race or I'd of been hunting someone down and we'd of made National news.

Ended up the way I thought it would; but that's not the point ! For the life of me I can't figure why they can't leave the race on the station they start with for practices. Week after next I'll be hunting down every station that broadcasts the race.

·
Administrator
29,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Are you able to set on going recordings for each time a show airs with your DVR? They are all going to be an ESPN channel this year.

·
Administrator
29,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
My recording did that as well. Not sure what happened but about 2/3rds into the race it seems to have started over? :unsure:

Lucky for me I manually record the next show after the listed F1 session and it was a 3 hour block of time!

I wish ESPN would include the pre session shows and post session wrap ups as well. They have always been an integral part of the F1 weekend experience for me. It would also allow us to see the ends of FP and most races without having to adjust our recordings.

I am almost at the point though where I have to stop watching F1 too.

·
Administrator
29,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
I gave F1 another week and so far it has been all F1....

Not to much new on the track Bottas Hamilton at the top but Verstappen hasnt been since FP1. But did manage to finish ahead of Bottas in Q3. Not sure how Lois didnt get a penality for track limits in Q2....

Stefano Domenicali will be the new CEO of Formula 1, but Carey moved to another position (for now).

·
Administrator
29,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
F1 is starting out rainy and cold - just above 0.

Honda is getting out of engines at the end of 2021 for hybrid and electric development.

Nick Shumacher is testing in FP1 today.

And a Mercedes team member has tested positive for covid 19.

·
Administrator
29,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
It's warmer for FP2 but the med evac choppers cant land at the nearest hospital yet because of low visibility. So a bunch of talk..... and a lot of speculation!

·
Administrator
29,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Finally some track action in FP3. Everyone is trying to cram everything into this one session, so teammates are having to share tasks. Storhl is not participating and Hulkenberg has arrived at the track already most likely for Qualification. He was in Cologne covering another race broadcast so was evidently already Covid 19 negative.

Bottas wins the first practice session again - though it is FP3 officially.

Rain expected for the race tomorrow and the temperatures will be closer to freezing again...

·
Administrator
29,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Yeah! Bottas is on the pole. Its nearly race time and Bottas Verstappend and Hamilton are my top 3 but Leclerc can break in this race day.

6 members ot the Mercedes crew are in isolation or positive tested for Covid 19 so pit stops my be in play today for pit passes!

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
So I've been hearing rumors of a HAAS sale ? Though they've been denied by HAAS. But HAAS has yet to sign the Concordia agreement. Don't know Gene's beef with the FIA because the agreement is a much better kept secret than a black ops plan. Didn't he hold out last season over Racing Point's, points transferring? Never thought of the FIA as giving much leeway to negotiate. It does appear Gene may be getting rid of his two "drivers?" I'd hate to see the team move.It would be really cool if FORD would throw some money and development HAAS's way.

101 - 120 of 132 Posts