Hobbyist Forums banner

81 - 100 of 132 Posts

·
Administrator
29,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
As speeds in F-1 increase obviously neck strain becomes more of an issue.

I dont know if everyone gets the Kroger or Kroger affilate commecials but locally we are being subjected to this claymation/animation population and a couple of them om the video was the fisrt thing to come to mind.

He must be on has way to Krogers.....

·
Administrator
29,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Well in F1 news, since nobody can seem to close the gap between Mercedes and everyone else, they are talking about regulating the qualifaction mode out of the allowed engine mapping. Meaning Louisa and Bottas may have to soon make some passes from row 2 or 3 to still win their races.

·
Administrator
29,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
The usual line up with Hamilton closely followed by Bottas and then Verstappen. Perez managed to place 4th on the grid in response to missing 2 weeks and what Hulkenberg was able to show.

So

1st place is Bottas after he beats Hamilton to the turn 1.

2nd place Hamilton who fights Verstappen all the way

3rd Verstappen

4th Norris

7th Gasly

1st to DNF Alfa Rameo

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
MFR,

Sorry for the sidetrack here. But...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Fiat owns Alfa Romeo.

Fiat sort of, kinda, owns part of Ferrari. But not really, even though it does ( someone help me out here!)

Given that F1 racing is VERY expensive, why would Fiat spend the capital, both money and reputation, to run both Ferrari and Alfa Romeo in F1?

Thanks

·
Administrator
29,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
It's all a complicated history but Fiat did own part of Ferrari (I think close to or actually 90%. But Ferrari was spun off to be its own company again.

Fiat does own all of Alfa but merged it first with Lancia and then separated them and merged Alfa with Masserati - which they also bought and owned outright and then sold 1/2 to Ferrari which they owned at the time as well....

The answer to your question though is because they can (afford it). Traditionally, Lancia has been their race division in the recent past. 🤙

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Thanks!

I missed the race this morning. 10 min before the start a pipe in the basement blew out. So 3 hours of clean up.
And I never set up the DVR.

Watching Indy qualifying now. Boy they are fast this year. Palou broke 240MPH on the front straight!

·
Administrator
29,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Sorry to hear about the broken pipe. At least you were up!

The 2nd broadcast just ended but another is scheduled for 9 PM CT on ESPNews if you have it in your line up.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Once again they changed the station and I missed qualification. Maybe I just didn't get into todays race but after last weeks race this one was a bit mundane save for a few incidences and passes in mid pack. Last week spoiled me I guess.

In regards to Miltons question last week about the quake. It was just some minor rumbles. Kind of like our dog jumping onto the couch. Nothing moved on the walls or shelves. This was the second one I've felt in 50 years around here.

·
Administrator
29,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Did you miss qualification because you dont have that channel or just couldnt find it?

And since you did miss it the race itself would make less sense without seeing where the sat on the grid and how they got there. When that happens the Sunday pre race coverage can help you catch up on what you missed and what happened in the garage over night.

The race broadcast doesnt show the leader passing the rest of the field but did you notice that Hamilton, Verstappen and Bottas - until he stopped to change tires and go for the fastest lap near the end had passed the entire rest of the field? A few of the back markers actually were penalized for not getting out of the way this week. That doesnt always happen during the race.

Both Ferrari and Mercedes made mistakes with tire choices with Vettel and Bottas this week. Part of it is being the 2nd driver but part of it is team politics and FIA optics.

Verstappen was also able to keep up with Hamilton because Mercedes was running with the power turned back. They could have changed Bottas' tires and turned the wick up a bit to have Bottas catch and pass Verstappen but for appearances they make it look like Red Bull has chance - but they dont. They were also conserving power unit capacity for future events at the same time.

The subitiles of F1 racing also lies in what the teams dont do on the track and in the pits almost as much as what they do let be known. Nico's transperancy about the drivers behaviour gives a different perspective to that when he covers the races.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
I suppose my carrier may have something to do with it. But the ESPN stations sometimes throw the different segments of the race from one ESPN to another. If I don't catch them doing it I don't set the record for the channel change it doesn't recognize it has been changed and doesn't record.

Looked to me like the Mercedes wheels carried a bit more + camber.
We got to almost see an under 2 second pit stop.!

·
Administrator
29,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Williams sold to a US Investment Corporation Dorilton Capital based in the US....

·
Administrator
29,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Ran across this you tube video by Peter Windsor.

I really miss his grid walks from when I first was able to watch F1 full seasons. Should be a great binge watch of his channel!

Back to the video, he makes the connection of Dorilton and its investors particularily James Mathews back through the Royal Family to Sir Frank Williams via Pipa Middleton, as always aware of the inside story in F1! Mathews is a former F1 racer himself back in the 1990s

·
Administrator
29,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Managed to capture the F1 Weekend Show on the DVR again. Everyone has signed the Concord now to keep the series in order until 2024. More races added to the schedule with 17 total races now through the middle of Dec.

Happy Birthday Valtteri!

Extensive track limits to be noted then enforced....

Listening to FP1 and FP2 now....

·
Administrator
29,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
FP1 Bottas, Hamilton and Verstappen

FP2 - Verstappen, Riccardo and Hamilton

Riccardo parked the car on track again - issue not known yet. Maybe hydraulics, but still finished 2nd in FP2. This really disrupted others FP2 plans.

More commentator talk about the secret settlement between Ferrari and the FIA as being the reason for the lower engine performance. They were in the bottom 10 each session.

·
Administrator
29,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
FP3 finished with Hamilton Ocon and Norris in the top 3 spots

Qualifications were back to Hamilton Bottas and Verstappen. With Hamilton nearly a 1/2 second over Bottas

Dont forget about the F1 Sunday show prior to the race tommorrow morning - they will catch up you up on all the FP and Q implications from the last todays. Available tires, down force settings and potential ran tomorrow seem key. A lot of teams won in FP3 and the Q rounds but will not have the tires or car to be competitive in the race.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I caught most of the race.

Can we just say Hamilton, Bottas, Verstappen for the rest of the season.

The accident around lap 11 could have been bad, a wheel with suspension on it came close to Russell's cockpit.
Suspension parts might not be stopped by the gap in the halo. I'm surprised the tire came completely off!

·
Administrator
29,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
The crash and the yellow really changed the race out come from 4th on back and nearly also effected the top 3. They all must have turned the power way back to preserve tires. Two weeks will be something new without the party mode. The Mercs maybe slower but I think Red Bull may be more surprised by Renault than they will gain on Mercedes.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Better race than Spain. That could have been a really bad wreck. Glad "Smiley" as my wife call Riccardo got 4th.

Is HAAS an F-1 pariah ? In that we're saddled with "Mutt & Jeff" until HAAS is no more? There seems to be replacement availability.

I know Ferrari has written this season off. But at onetime with few laps left. Ferrari and HAAS were only seconds apart. That should scare the britches off some Ferrari brass.

·
Administrator
29,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Especially now that they are being out paced by HAAS and Alfa Romeo on a consistent basis.

I dont know that they can afford to pay any of the currently available replacement drivers or that they would want to race for HAAS.

81 - 100 of 132 Posts