Hobbyist Forums banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter #42
Check your DVR schedules! The coverage channel changes back and forth from ESPN2 to ESPNews to ESPN for Qualifying and back to ESPNews for the race (?) this week. ESPN and ESPN2 will do rebroadcasts later on Sunday of the race.

They also added the pre-show before FP1 this morning with a new name for the series.

FP1 was pretty uneventful with Hamilton and Bottas topping the charts. 3rd is still a toss up as most everyone was at 90% on their engines.

Track limits include enforcement at 4, 11 and 12 this week to include the red and white curbs and all four tires beyound there. After 3 times you get the black flag and times are being deleted already.

FP2 is starting out wet - not monsoon wet like last week buy enough for sweepers to be on track.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #43
Still on the fence on who to pick for 3rd from Racing Point....

Registered
An interesting race.

No lead changes, a bunch of mid-pack racing going on with some good passing.

Only one car had a mechanical, so thats good. But It was a Honda engine, so the same issues as in Indycar.

Should we expect Hamilton/Mercedes to win for the remainder of the season?

The drivers were all hitting the rumble strips. Even when there was no one around them.

One question, Is DRS available equally to all drivers? The commentators seemed to indicate that not all drivers had it available all the time.

Watching the SKY team really makes me realize how good Leigh Diffey is! I always thought the ABC IndyCar guys were just bad. It turns out Leigh is just very good!

Administrator
Discussion Starter #45
Rain.

Max its raining.

Max it's still raining.

Wall!

Great recovery by the Red Bull team to do a 90 minute repair in 20 minutes.

Hamilton was dominate. If Bottas hadnt of moved at the start it may have been a different story though. May have to adjust the timing on the steering wheel a bit there guys.

But yes, I think Mercedes will have the racing, and constructor championship wrapped up before they add races to finish out the season. The drivers championship will probably come down to the last race scheduled.

Now determining who will finish 3rd will be another story for the rest of the year.

Ah, the rumble strips. Even though they are technically outside of track limits - enforcement is only made at the identified turns. I am not clear how many times they can be inside the stated limits to erase previous transgressions. And it doesnt seem to be a combined turn rule but instead - 3 consecutive times at the same turn - before a warning flag is issued.

To use DRS you have to be within a second of the car the next place in front of you - at the detection zone - which is usually a turn prior to the zone you can use it in. It isnt available in the first 3 laps of the race, for 3 laps after a restart, if you are a lap down or lapping a car. This week I think the top six drivers had all lapped 7th place Perez before the end of the race.

Diffey still has that annoying escalation at the key moments of the race that British announcers tend to use, but he really knows his race cars, teams and drivers. He was the key race commentator for F1 with Varsha and Hobbs before ESPN (SkySports) took over a few years ago and a race engineer in F1 at Bennetton (McLaren) before he became an announcer.

Registered
No race this week! What to do?
Maybe I'll work on a model.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #50
I was a Red Sox fan while Roger was there but moved back to Houston when he did. Go find that old transistor radio in the garage and 'watch' the game on the radio. 馃

Administrator
Discussion Starter #51
Sounds like Ferrari has picked out the 3 department heads to blame for this years failures.....

Administrator
Discussion Starter #52
So no races in the Western Hemisphere this year but Imola is back now. Portimao and Mugello are new. And the Nurburgring is back after 7 years.

I watched a GT4 European race this past weekend and most of it is grass just outside the track limits. It has been reconfigured to accommodate a longer pit lane since the last F1 race was held there.

Registered
F1 won't be racing on the north ring I take it? That would be interesting!

Administrator
Discussion Starter #54
No, not the North Ring. All of these reasons in the video still apply, but the bumps would be the most obvious one. They would just skate of the track at many different places.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Time again to configure the DVRs for the first round at Silverstone

Welcome to the Weekend leads of at 4:30 AM Central Time followed by FP1 at 4:55 AM and an hour gap to FP2 at 8:55 AM everything is on ESPN2 Friday. (Dont forget to extend or add the next program to the schedule.)

Saturday starts out on ESPN2 for FP3 at 4:55 AM but moves to ESPN at 7:55 for qualifications

Sunday starts out on ESPN at 6:30 AM with Grand Prix Sunday and the race starting at 8:05 AM.

Rebroadcasts are 2 PM on ESPN and at 8:30 PM on ESPN2.

Bonus races

IMSA 11 AM Friday on NBCSN; 9 AM Sunday on NBCSN and NBC at 11 AM

Bikes at 2 PM on FS1

Spa at 1 PM on CBS Sports

Imola at 6 PM on CBS Sports

Indianapolis at 7 PM on CBS Sports

I also have been watching a program called Motorsport Mundial on CBS Sports that does capsules of many different series races from the past week from around the world. This weeks show airs on Sunday at 12 PM on CBS Sports.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #56
I have been using this on line guide this year.

Takes a bit of study to get all figured out but a good listing of racing events and related shows.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #57
Racing Point driver change. Perez went to Mexico to visit his mother who had a serious accident. Came back positive for Covid 19. Hulkenburg secured and approved to drive.

In other news Ferrari doesnt expect to be competitive now until 2022.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #58
Seems like Hamilton is the obvious choice for 1st place at Silverstone but Bottas did pretty well today in FP2. Hulkenberg is in the top 10 of both sessions!

Leclerc must have missed Ferrari's team update....

Currently looking for Bottas to finish 2nd with 3rd being a toss up between 6 or 7 drivers again. WIll have to wait until qually to decide again.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #59
Bottas tops Q3 ahead of Hamilton and then Verstappen. Albon spent 50 minutes of the session under repair and Hulkenberg is going back to the middle of the rest of the field.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #60
Pending a crash in turn 1 or Hamilton spins off the track again - it looks like this will be the top 3 finishing order for the rest of the year. 3rd place may continue to be a toss up though. To keep it interesting I am also WAG picking who will finish 7th behind Mercedes, Red Bull and Racing Point and the first team to go out of the race.

1st Bottas
2nd Hamilton

3rd Verstappen

7th Leclerc

1st to DNF - Williams

41 - 60 of 81 Posts