Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Administrator
27,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The attrition rate was high, but I can recall a few races where nearly 1/2 the field did not finish. IIRC those involved crashes as well.

There were also a fair amount of penalties involved both at the beginning of the race and with the outcome.

Also the 2020 rookie of the year - Latifi - nearly finished in the points in his first start - thats nearly an impossibility - normally.

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
The hybrid cars have had issues since their entrance into F-1. Last season not as much. The Mercs have had a good grasp of the technology which is why we quit choosing the 1st three places. They seem to have been pretty much predetermined. At Austria they said the rumble strips were beating the cars apart.

·
Administrator
27,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
As for picking this year, I think there is still no clear cut 3rd to 8th place finish order. Maybe all the way down to 10th with McLaren and Racing Point capable of finishing consistently in the top ten but not always in the same order as Mercedes being 1st and 2nd all year long again.

On the topic of rumble strips if the drivers stayed within track limits - like they are supposed to! The cars wouldnt be subjected to being beaten apart. Consistently enforcing track limits would eliminate the fragile nature of the myraid of delicate sensors being used to control the cars over driver skill sets.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Or maybe make the cars more reliable? If the rumble strips are causing mechanical issues priorities are wrong.
Drivers will always clip the apex rumble strips, thats racing.
Drivers need to be able to race.
Just my opinion.

·
Administrator
27,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
According to the rules the rumble strips are outside the confines of the racing track.

Ergo the drivers need to race on the race track not were they think they can run the fastest time.

Right now ignoring the rules means adding deterients (like rumble strips). In some places its walls and guard rails. If you take away the rumble strips, walls and guard rails the drivers just keep getting more and more off track and outside of the defined track limits. One fault feeds the other. F1 used to be a race of endurance for both the car and driver. Now its just a showcase of technicalities. Like 'Louisa' said Sunday "he's doing it more than me" as you hear the thumpa-thumpa-thumpa of the rumble strips in his radio back ground noise.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Wow! Ok. I had no idea that the rumble strips were "out of bounds".

If F1 has a rule that all drivers blatantly ignore maybe the rule should be revisited. If drivers want to drive off the track good luck to them. Get off track into the gravel/grass and you will lose positions on the track or worse.

Again, just my opinion.

·
Administrator
27,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Your opinion is probably the crux of the discussion. Safety. In the effort of increased safety the grass and gravel was eliminated in favor of driver safety. It also reduced cost in not having to fix race cars. Improved sponsorships - less time off the track and more air time. It doesnt help that most tracks now allow a driver to keep part of the car within the track limits before calling for a penalty or multiple excursions off track. This is were the rumble stips come into play. They are outside of the track limit and ment to deter a driver from going over them, but they still do. Make them bigger you start having crashes again. Raising costs and less happy sponsors. But, at Monaco the track limits are hard and consequential. The Wall of Champions in Canada - consequential. Turn 19 at COTA not so much.

·
Administrator
27,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Still In Austria this weekend. So going with Bottas to win this week. Verstappen to finish 2nd if he makes it the finish line and Leclerc to follow him home. FP1 starts at 3:55 AM.

I remembered to set the DVR for the next program after each session this time.

By now you would think that someone at ESPN could have figured out that starting a show 5 minutes early that runs late by 5 minutes every episode at the end - needs a schedule adjustment the other way.....

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Is he betting that he will win Indy this year so he will not need be back at Indy in 2021?

What time is the race?

·
Administrator
27,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
8:05 AM Central Time Sunday on ESPN is the race coverage.

There is a pre race show that starts at 6:30 AM on Sunday.

With F1 though, qualification is a major aspect of the race outcome that you should also watch. That will be on at 7:55 AM on Saturday morning also on ESPN.

·
Administrator
27,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
As far as Alonzo goes, maybe he is still trying to lower his overall wins average....

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
8:05 AM Central Time Sunday on ESPN is the race coverage.

There is a pre race show that starts at 6:30 AM on Sunday.

With F1 though, qualification is a major aspect of the race outcome that you should also watch. That will be on at 7:55 AM on Saturday morning also on ESPN.
I set my DVR.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
So.... Can you imagine a sensor attached to the rumble strips. So that after so many seconds of contact with the strips it is mandatory that the overall performance of the car is adversely affected ? 🤔 It's a brave new world. OR ! ! ! JUST DRIVE ON THE GRAY PART !

Haven't watched Qually. Looked "all shook up" :cool: yesterday. Kind'a hope it gets rained out. It'd make for an interesting race tomorrow. Rain or shine. Right now. I got no clue. I think there's going to be a McLaren on a podium.

All the driver changes; and HAAS is as constant as the Northern Star. I swear it can't JUST be the cars. Just once... I'd like to see a HAAS piloted by someone like Riccardo, Alonso..... Vettel ? I'm mean the only way to go is up !

·
Administrator
27,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
FP3 was rained out and nearly Q1. I was halfway through Q2 when it started raining again....

I was going to change out Perez for Leclerc but that doesnt seem like the right move now.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I saw just a bit of the qualifying in the rain.

Did the rain ever let up?

·
Administrator
27,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
It rained pretty hard again between Q2 and Q3, but the racing was really good. Verstappen ran up on the curb which may have cost him the pole in Q3 and he didnt falter any in the rain. He doesnt think he would have beat Hamilton out right but I think he might have. Definitely going to have to drop Leclerc but not sure who to put in his place yet. Sainz, Ocon and Norris did really well across the board and Gasly had a moment in Q2.

1st Verstappen
2nd Bottas
3rd Sainz

for now....

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I watched the 1st 20 laps and the last 15.

Not much action, some mid pack passing that seemed inconsequential.

What was the deal with Ferrari on the 1st lap? That was crazy!

·
Administrator
27,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Yes, it was a typical F1 race until the last 2 laps today. I guess I am a going to have to put Hamilton back into my podium picks for the rest of the year.

No one will ever say it but Vettal would have already piled into that spot at turn 3 at full steam before Leclerc even considered it. And why hadnt Vettel already done so.....

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
HAAS could swap Grosjean for Leclerc. And a left front tyre changer to be named later.

Hamilton
Verstappen
Bottas

Wellllll Ya gotta hit the Post Reply button.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts