Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Administrator
27,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Practice starts for Melbourne tomorrow evening....

Anyone have suggestions on how to set up the F1 2020 pick thread this year?

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
Hadn't thought about it. Since, in my mind, I see 1/3 of the season being awash.If not more.

I liked the way it was done last season. I even liked the "vulture points." I still put my 2 cents in for points in increments of 5. Still never counted up your points. I thought you were closer to me than you think.

·
Administrator
27,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was able to find a tv listing for an F1 eSports Series on ESPN today. A rerun of Brazil is coming up at 2 AM and then at 3 AM. Looks like they have two more events scheduled to air in May on other ESPN channels. The description says F1 2019 video game.

·
Administrator
27,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The imaging in this series is amazing! Shadows, sun glare, rain etc. One race was for the pro gamers and the other had 6 or 7 current F1 drivers. There was no damage so I didnt like that as they tended to wreck each other without consequence. But hey its F1 racing and looks absolutely real. They also have their staff of analysts and commentator and a studio!

·
Administrator
27,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you mean the driver names and timing - those are small.

The cockpit shots look just like they do in the F1 coverage.

Everything but the fans in the stands looks so realistic.

The portion of the race ran in the rain had track sheen, gray overcast skies, realistic spray and when the sun came out it was from one side of the track just like a weather line would pass and the track dried over time. The sun would peak out from behind clouds as it cleared. There was even puddle were they would normally be along the track. It was amazing to watch visually.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I mean the actual video graphics.

This is the Indycar iRacing. Very realistic. The in cockpit views do look like a game though.

The fans have gotten better in the later races.

·
Administrator
27,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To best describe the difference would be the Indy track looks like a drawing. F1 looks like film.

·
Administrator
27,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I watched the NASCAR event from North Wilkesboro this weekend and the rendering for it was even better than the F1 track visuals. They just developed that track into iRacing in the past few weeks. So it must be the newer tech that is making them better and better visually.

I am getting disenchanted with the crashing with no damage and resets though. They were at Monaco this past weekend for the eSeries and Evans just keep his foot down all the way down the short track layout straight all the way to the horseshoe with another car on top of him. Eventually he ended up on top of them making the turn. They should have the same damage as a real race and be put out of the race when they do. (I think Evans was pulled from the event or shut his sim down this time.)

·
Administrator
27,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I saw in a crawl this afternoon that Vettel was leaving Ferrari at the end of this season (2020). No mention of retirement or new team or series.....

·
Administrator
27,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FP1 was uneventful for the most part, but you would think that ESPN could have spent the last 6 months understanding how they can schedule their broadcasts to include the entire event!!!!!!

Still cutting off with just a minute or 2 to go......

They also failed to include the F1 'magazine' coverage in their schedule.

·
Administrator
27,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FP2 was just as uneventful. The scheduled broadcast time ended with 0:15 seconds to go again.....

Looks like Mercedes and their new black liveried cars are going to dominate again this year. Vettle looked strong in both sessions but I have a feeling his car is going to have a bit of trouble finishing any race this year.

·
Administrator
27,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
May change up the order after todays Q session but

Verstapen
Leclerc
Bottas

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
I don't go hunting for racing news so I'd pretty much given up on a 2020 F-1 season. But I was looking through what had recorded last night on TV (since the 2020 TV season has pretty much sucked.) and low and behold ! An F-1 reminder popped up.

Looks like Mercedes is going to make 1st and 2nd a given. Red Bull is going to give Ferrari a run for their money. Maybe even McLaren will threaten Ferrari. Of course this all depends on who Gross & Mag take out on the second or third lap. I wouldn't get in an Uber with either of them let alone let them drive my F-1 in a race. I just can't believe either of them are still with HAAS.

Off the top of my head because I really haven't looked..... Has anyone heard about the FIA scheduling anymore races ?

·
Administrator
27,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes they will race at Spielberg again next week and then move to Hungary. Then 2 weekends at Silverstone.

·
Administrator
27,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Switching out Albon for Leclerc but dropping him to 3rd

Verstapen
Bottas
Albon

·
Administrator
27,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Might be easier to list what didnt happen in today's race....oh wait it all happened.

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
That was fun to watch. McLaren's had two 3rd place podiums since Buttons got 3rd in 2014 in Austria and Sainz scored 3rd in Brazil in 2019. Remember how they used to dominate ?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
This was the 1st F1 race I've watched in years. The mechanical issues were very high. I'm guessing thats not normal.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts