Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
As I understand it, this was not cancelled, but simply delayed to 2013. The reason it was removed from their site is because the site has not yet been updated with 2013 products. Once the site is updated for 2013, the exploration set will reappear.

·
Banned
1,657 Posts
As I understand it, this was not cancelled, but simply delayed to 2013. The reason it was removed from their site is because the site has not yet been updated with 2013 products. Once the site is updated for 2013, the exploration set will reappear.
True, that happened last year when the release of the Strange Change kits and the Bigfoot kit was delayed. An e-mail to Round 2 will most likely give a definitive answer, they have always responded when I have had questions about a release.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Who really wants this undersized , poorly detailed , pint sized Halloween toy?
I can see a certain nostalgia for this kit. I had one back in the 70s and I had a great time playing with it. I was under ten years old then. That said, I have to agree - is the nostalgia for this really so great that it's worth repopping (even with minor improvements)? As much fun as I had with it back in the day I still wished it was better. Looking back at it now - wow, it was pretty bad.

They're doing it so I guess they believe it'll sell but for myself, it's a head scratcher for sure...

Mark in Okinawa

·
Registered
488 Posts
To quote the 40th President of the U.S.A in regards to Round 2 Models
and their delays: "There you go again".

Have seen this before and not surprised, but in this case the kit in
question can wait so it's not a problem.

No Star Trek movie Enterprise for 2013 Now that's not a good surprise.

fortress

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
I concur. I bought it back then because it was the only thing available. I made my OWN better from cardboard later.
The history of crap is still crap.:wave:
I did the same and was VERY let down by the thing. I had been building 1/1 scale plastic model guns from L/S in Japan and had gotten used to the idea of 'making it real'. Yes, I actually had a vision that the props would be 'full size', if maybe not 100% accurate.

Oy, what pain. Those sprue sure rattled around in that box, hey? :) Heck, by today's standards if the props were accurate but 1/3 scale I could accept that but that's not going to happen. Might as well do all new tooling, it would take so much work. And if you're going to sink money in all new tooling, why re-create the Exploration set as it was, just go ahead and make 1/1 scale kits of the Phaser, Tricorder and Communicator.

I dunno. Of all the AMT Star Trek kits I'd really put this on the slow track, maybe even make it a web exclusive for the nostalgia of it.

Shoot, I'd rather see a 1/2500 scale Doomsday Machine kit (all of three parts!). :)

·
Banned
718 Posts
I would rather leave the "exploration set" alone, but more from a "business model" justification than for any other reason.

As mentioned, there are TOP QUALITY replicas, and "fun quality" replicas, of all of these items today. I personally own MY DREAM... the Master Replicas versions of the props. They're gorgeous, beautiful, and expensive as hell. I also have the affordable, and still very very nice, Art Asylum versions.

When I was a kit, I built a set of these. To put matters into perspective, they were the perfect fit for me, at the size I was, at the time I built them. Today, their only value to me would be for recalling my childhood, though.

I did spend uncounted hours, running around with these when I was a little kid. They were OUTSTANDING from that standpoint. They were, frankly, "toys I made myself" and thus they were "mine" and were very, very important to me. I set up a place in my family basement, with chairs and card tables and so forth, to be my "bridge" too... complete with an appropriately kid-sized chair to serve as my captain's chair.

This is MASSIVE nostalgia... so, I, PERSONALLY, would almost undoubtedly buy a set of these.

But, that's the only reason I can imagine anyone wanting to buy this kit. And that's just not enough to make it justifiable to spend the money making the kit. Even if the original tooling is in pretty good shape (as I suspect it would be), the market is just too small to be a "money-making proposition."

I really, REALLY want a proper 1:350 TOS Romulan (I've seen the one out there today, but I believe it's vastly oversized... I go from the McMaster print size, which means that the current "AMT repop" is actually larger than 1:350.) I'd far, far prefer that they did one of those, than do any more "repops" of anything else. I'd rather they did that then the Galileo, even though I really want a good Galileo as well.

Looks like I'll have to make my own Romulan, if I ever want one, huh?

But... spending even a little time on the "Exploration set?" This will never, ever be a profitable move for Round2. I'm certain of that.

·
Registered
8,879 Posts
Wouldn't it be nice if they re-scaled the kit with some slight changes?

That way some of us with not so much extra funds for 'play things' could have something cool for the display case?

Just a wish :wave:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I'm not bothered if it is cancelled. I thought that this particular kit is pretty horrible, even back in the 70's. If the tooling/sizing were being updated, then it would have some actual value to it. I think that Round 2 would be better off spending the money elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I've asked Jamie about 1:1 props from TOS and he said others have that area covered.

CL, I disagree. This will be a re-pop and as such will have low startup cost. If they sell it in the $25-35 range, enough old farts like you and me will pick one up just for nostalgia and everyone will be happy.

Jamie also said they are looking at adding a PE set.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
I'm going for the complete AMT tin box collection, so it's a buy for me. Maybe I'll get the cardboard box and build a set for fun as well. Don't know. And while I had a number of this kit as a kid, I now have the AA/EE versions and am satisfied with those. There's no point to R2 retooling what is otherwise a junkie kit to compete with product that's already out there and nearly just as good as on-screen props. Their money is better spent elsewhere.

Jamie has said with repops if ti doesn't do well, the company is only out the money it took to ship the tools and create the new packaging and sales promos. With a new tool, they have to hit it out of the park everytime or they go under. I'm sure it's a tough balancing act.

Looking at their release history, it seems clear that they are using repops to get up and running and targeting their new tools for homeruns. I'm sure they will get more liberal in the years to come. But for now, they have to be highly targeted. Fortunately, there's enough old trek in the vault that they can continue to draw from that library while sprinkling it with new kits here or there. Imo.

·
Banned
718 Posts
I agree with Model Man... the repops are, for the most part, very cost-efficient. But I would say that the "Exploration set" would be hard-pressed to make back even that minimal up-front cost. Nobody who didn't build this as a kid will have ANY incentive to buy it, and those of us who do will only have the "nostalgia" factor. Pretty much all the other repops can be pretty decent models, overall. Yes, the Romulan is utterly inaccurate to the "as-seen-on-screen" miniature, and the Galileo looks horrific from behind (but not too bad from the side or front), but those at least have some "for fun" value which I honestly don't see the "Exploration set" providing to those who, ideally, would get something from it today.

I built my first (of two) of these "Exploration set" kits when it was first released... I could be wrong, but I think it was 1974, which would mean I was eight years old or so at the time. I'd come home from school, and would watch some revolving cluster of the standard "after school reruns"... F-Troop, Gilligan's Island, Hogan's Heroes, Batman, The Brady Bunch, Mission Impossible, and Star Trek (the exact mix would vary from year to year and local station to local station, but that's pretty much the mix ALL of us got to watch after school during those years, wasn't it?") Syndication was limited to a relatively small number of shows, and we only had three or four channels to watch (the big three network affiliates, plus usually a local "independent" channel which would run BBC shows and old B&W flicks, mainly). No "on demand," no "netflix," no "hundreds of channels." Ah, the "good old days." :)

So, every kid, pretty much without exception, knew Star Trek. And very few were really full of dislike for it. I, I'll admit, was the only one who kept trying, at eight years of age, to figure out how the ship was built and what made it work, though, and that led to one of two responses... adults concluding I was going to be an engineer (which I am) or a military officer (which I did for a number of years), or kids concluding I was a nutcase. Which... well, I'll let you guys make the call on that part.

Of course, I had a kid-sized phaser, communicator, and tricorder. As well as a dog-eared copy of "Spock Must Die" (first printing, unfortunately "killed" in a sad "slipped out of the book bag at the bus stop into a puddle, without my seeing it, on a rainy day" incident). And my book doodles at school were usually my attempts to figure out where different things seen on-screen in Star Trek went, inside of the ship.

Some things never change!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts